Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose 1!
Killeen/Temple/Belton 5 6.10%
Waco 16 19.51%
Beaumont/Port Arthur 5 6.10%
Midland/Odessa 5 6.10%
Lubbock 26 31.71%
Tyler 11 13.41%
Other 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:26 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,648 times

Advertisements

that list is bucket full of LOL. my guess is its geared towards the white anglo saxon protestant (wasp) culture considering Lubbock is in the lead. haha

Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,835,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
that list is bucket full of LOL. my guess is its geared towards the white anglo saxon protestant (wasp) culture considering Lubbock is in the lead. haha
It's probably just because of Texas Tech.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
You just revealed your ignorance. These are the demographics as of 2000: The racial makeup of the city was 72.87% White, 8.66% African American, 0.56% Native American, 1.54% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 14.32% from other races, and 2.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 27.45% of the population.
Current estimates have the Hispanic population at about 35%, the Black population roughly the same, and the Asian population closer to 5%. There are over 90 nationalities represented, mostly because of Texas Tech.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You just revealed your ignorance. These are the demographics as of 2000: The racial makeup of the city was 72.87% White, 8.66% African American, 0.56% Native American, 1.54% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 14.32% from other races, and 2.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 27.45% of the population.
Current estimates have the Hispanic population at about 35%, the Black population roughly the same, and the Asian population closer to 5%. There are over 90 nationalities represented, mostly because of Texas Tech.
Well i wasn't just talking about lubbock. Did you just reveal your sore spot?

Revealed my ignorance? Please tell me how I did that. No where in your post did you counter the crux of my opinion. TBH I'm playing around. WASP culture doesn't just impact whites for the record. Thanks for your kind reply to my opinion.

Last edited by jabbit; 09-06-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Some Here, Some There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because they are not that really connected as of yet. They share the same media market, but since Killeen is so close to Austin and Waco is so close to Dallas, there is no need for a national airport as of yet. Now that's pretty much the goal of what they want the Killeen airport to become in that it will offer an alternative for people in the Northern part of the Austin metro (like Georgetown, Taylor, and maybe even Round Rock) area to fly out of the area.
But the people in, say, Georgetown or Round Rock, those folks can go down State Highway 130 to Bergstrom to catch a flight, so distance would actually be about the same as opposed to flying out of Killeen, which does have less traffic. Bergstrom would actually be a better choice, but it would depend on what type of flight.

Quote:

Revealed my ignorance? Please tell me how I did that. No where in your post did you counter the crux of my opinion. TBH I'm playing around.
Then split. The rest of us are not. Since this website is about data, why not discuss some of the smaller places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm speaking about when Waco was in its primes (40s-50s). After these times is when Waco's growth started to slow and become stagnant. It's just now beginning to grow more steadily. Waco had plenty of big name acts performing here. Elvis for starters.
It still puzzles me about why Waco had stagnated, jluke, especially at times when the rest of the state was in a boom. They've always had a good location where lots of people -- including myself -- always traveled. You know, when they get the river and downtown projects really going, it may surprise a lot of people how much Waco will be positively impacted by them.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
But the people in, say, Georgetown or Round Rock, those folks can go down State Highway 130 to Bergstrom to catch a flight, so distance would actually be about the same as opposed to flying out of Killeen, which does have less traffic. Bergstrom would actually be a better choice, but it would depend on what type of flight.

Then split. The rest of us are not. Since this website is about data, why not discuss some of the smaller places?

It still puzzles me about why Waco had stagnated, jluke, especially at times when the rest of the state was in a boom. They've always had a good location where lots of people -- including myself -- always traveled. You know, when they get the river and downtown projects really going, it may surprise a lot of people how much Waco will be positively impacted by them.
Well once the Tornado tore through downtown; the city never really tried to redevelop. Us losing the railroad to Dallas also hurt us. I believe Waco would've been very prosperous if it weren't for Dallas. We lost the railroad, Paul Quinn, the Presidential Library and more to Dallas.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well once the Tornado tore through downtown; the city never really tried to redevelop. Us losing the railroad to Dallas also hurt us. I believe Waco would've been very prosperous if it weren't for Dallas. We lost the railroad, Paul Quinn, the Presidential Library and more to Dallas.
That's true. Forgot about the tornado.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Oh, so now we're giving out orders to other folks and telling them how to run part of their day... okay.

How bout you take a sedative and chill, you data head you.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I would put Corpus in the Midland-Odessa/Lubbock/Amarillo/Longview/Tyler category.

I always thought Corpus Christi would have qualified as a major city in Texas, as large as it's gotten. It seems larger than what some suggest. And would you look at who's ahead in the poll? Lubbock??? Who would have thought they'd be this popular?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Lubbocks vote equals Tech Students, I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas