Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,062,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you choose Puerto Rico or the US Virgin islands, you don't even need a passport if you are a US citizen.

I'd suggest staying at a resort with a private beach. St. Thomas might be a good place to start, it meets all of your requirements.
Passports are not absolutely mandatory for those territories, but they are recommended.

Although no passports or immunizations have been necessary for a U.S. citizen or national traveling to Puerto Rico, travelling with a U.S. passport is strongly recommended. (http://www.doi.gov/oia/Islandpages/prpage.htm - broken link)

Proving citizenship is pesky during these Homeland Security days. I just renewed my driver's license, and had to have a social security card, marriage license, and two bills confirming my residence.

We enjoyed the Virgin Islands, but much preferred the British to the American--less crowded, more low key, but there were full moon parties for those who seek that stuff. St John's waters were beautiful, but the minute we got off the boat we got hassled by people wanting to sell us something.
Maybe that was an isolated incident, I've only been there once.

Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are lovely, too. I grew up going to Nantucket every summer, I think it's changed a bit but perhaps the OP could get a nice quiet cottage in the fall, and enjoy the September sun (springtime will be chilly.)

As Jambo says (and as I said earlier) the Gulf would work in terms of proximity (and not necessarily Florida). I saw my first green flash in northwest Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,382,278 times
Check out Mary's Boon in SXM. DM me if you decide that is your destination and I can provide you with good info on a rental car and other places for dining and other activities. They have a beautiful beach.

Royal Palm Beach Club is in a great area but the beach is not as nice. However, there's a nice restaurant across the street that has music every night and very casual. Beach bars a few feet from the resort.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,065,742 times
Don't go to the Gulf "coast"... oh my gosh. You can do way better! You're in Colorado? You'd be better off going to San Diego than you would be going to the Gulf Coast. Because of all that oil refinery business going on and all the development, the Gulf is so ugly. Too many people, too. Trash on the beach. Eeeww. I grew up in Texas and that was all I knew, so when I was young I used to get excited about going to Padre or Galveston or wherever down there. But now I understand what a real beach vacation is - if you're going to treat yourself - treat yourself! I don't usually recommend most California beaches, either, but I'd prefer them over the Gulf coast any day.

Oregon beaches are protected by the 1967 beach bill. They are pretty wild, usually not crowded (except on summer weekends) and gorgeous. They are not warm beaches, though... so you won't be getting a tan or showing off your bikini body. We wear bog boots, jeans, and hoodies even during the summer on the Oregon coast. lol Good food, though, and it's so peaceful. You can get a yurt for super cheap, there are bed and breakfasts (one with each room dedicated to a famous writer), resorts, spa's, etc.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,485,156 times
Well, I would like the opportunity to at least strip down to a pair of shorts and work on my tan a little bit. How about Maryland or Virginia? Are there any decent beaches up there or are we getting into Touristland?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,774,203 times
The only way I know of to enjoy a beach without worrying about your stuff getting ripped off is to stay at a hotel that has its own beach. You can get some good deals in Hawaii since business is down.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Don't go to the Gulf "coast"... oh my gosh. You can do way better! You're in Colorado? You'd be better off going to San Diego than you would be going to the Gulf Coast. Because of all that oil refinery business going on and all the development, the Gulf is so ugly. Too many people, too. Trash on the beach. Eeeww. I grew up in Texas and that was all I knew, so when I was young I used to get excited about going to Padre or Galveston or wherever down there. But now I understand what a real beach vacation is - if you're going to treat yourself - treat yourself! I don't usually recommend most California beaches, either, but I'd prefer them over the Gulf coast any day..
Haggard, I gotta tell ya, a Gulf beach vacation need not be equated with Texas.

From reading your description, the Texas Gulf, I am happy to say, is very different from the Northwest Florida Gulf.

I took this picture of the dunes at sunrise, just west of the little town of Port St Joe. There are no hi-rises there, let alone people and their trash.
I regularly saw bald eagles and dolphins.

This photo is the same beach:

Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,499,098 times
Anguilla (British West Indies) fits all of your requirements to a T (except for maybe #10). We went last year in early April, stayed in Shoal Bay (villas, cottages, and smaller hotels only).

One of the whitest beaches and bluest seas I've ever seen anywhere (including Hawaii):

This was the most crowded day:

Our view at breakfast (we had to walk on the beach to get to the restaurant next door):

Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM

81 posts, read 235,084 times
Based on most of your criteria, you can rule out all Florida beaches. Try looking into N.C. Outer Banks, VA. Beach areas. Those areas are more in line with your criteria.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post
Based on most of your criteria, you can rule out all Florida beaches.
Absolutely not true, IMHO.
See post #16.
I guess this is why they call it the Forgotten Coast.

My spot (Amelia Island) is not too shabby, either, and the rest of the Sea Islands (in Georgia) have much to offer.

Fuzz, the BVI is indeed beautiful--we've been twice.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,613,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
... You're in Colorado? You'd be better off going to San Diego ... .
I had thought of suggesting San Diego, except the ocean is always cold here. If the OP actually wants to swim in the ocean, southeast or gulf coast - or Hawaii - will be better for that. If swimming isn't that high a priority, then by all means consider San Diego! We have loads of beaches of varying characters. And there are some hotels on Mission Bay with 'their own' (not really, but they look after it) stretch of beach, for the safety of your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel