Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,784,755 times

Advertisements

We only travel with a small number of friends, so everyone does whatever they want. We don't do cruises or tours as we are too independent.

That being said, I don't think you would enjoy traveling with my group. We violate almost everything on your list at one time or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,074,957 times
Whiners. I don't tolerate whiners of any age. If you're going to ***** and moan while on vacation, take yourself as far from me as you can.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
To each his own as far as what makes a perfect vacation.
Yes, that is really the only rule needed.

Person A wants to see the Mona Lisa while person B wants to go to a strip club. That's fine as long as Person A doesn't want to make Person B go with them. And vice versa.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:39 PM

134 posts, read 276,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Whiners. I don't tolerate whiners of any age. If you're going to ***** and moan while on vacation, take yourself as far from me as you can.
A few years ago on the flight back from Vegas, we had to reroute and ended up stuck at a different airport for a few hours. The woman in front of me was on the phone crying and whining how she was the most unfortunate person ever and how she wanted to die.

She was like a mid-twenties school teacher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-05-2013, 01:39 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,452,684 times
Default I'm the exact opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
1) Shopping.-A little is fine, but a whole day of shopping, not allowed. Especially in an area with lots to do (ie Disney World).
2) Laying by the pool during the day.-That's fine at night if you are in a hot place, but not all day.
3) Spending an entire tropical vacation doing nothing but laying on the beach. The beach is fun, but not to spend an entire vacation on. Especially if you only go to one beach the entire time. At least go to different beaches to lay on.
4) Clubbing/drinking excessively. Booze is available at home, there are better things to spend money on.
5) Eating fancy dinners. This is where it's okay to cut costs, although I'm not saying to eat McDonald's the entire time.

Perhaps this is why I travel alone or with only certain family members.
Me personally, I only go on vacation with people that do the same things as us. It only takes one time for you to learn this is a huge mistake. Most people can't afford to go on more than one vacation a year, and when I go, I am going to have a good time doing what I want to do. If someone else in the party has other plans, I hope theyr brought their car so they can go do that. LOL

1. I hate shopping. If somebody back home wants a souvenir, they can order it off Amazon.
2. Depending on where I am, that is the soup du jour. Lot less sandy than being on the beach.
3. You will find me at the pool by the nearest tiki bar.
4. I don't go clubbing, but I do drink, and I bring beer for my cooler.
5. I will go out for a fancy dinner.

What is the point of going on vacation if you're going to do something you don't like to do? If you're not a beach person, don't go on vacation with someone who likes going to the beach, because that's all we want to do, or at the very least, stay in the sun. I am also not going to traipse around to a bunch of different beaches. It's the same water, same sand. LOL

As far as dining out, I won't go to any restaurant that I can go to where I live. I will go to hole-in-the-walls if the food is good, and I don't mind a dress-up dinner out somewhere nice.

Vacation to me is not about camping and spending the least amount of money you can.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,995,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Me personally, I only go on vacation with people that do the same things as us. It only takes one time for you to learn this is a huge mistake. Most people can't afford to go on more than one vacation a year, and when I go, I am going to have a good time doing what I want to do. If someone else in the party has other plans, I hope theyr brought their car so they can go do that. LOL

1. I hate shopping. If somebody back home wants a souvenir, they can order it off Amazon.
2. Depending on where I am, that is the soup du jour. Lot less sandy than being on the beach.
3. You will find me at the pool by the nearest tiki bar.
4. I don't go clubbing, but I do drink, and I bring beer for my cooler.
5. I will go out for a fancy dinner.

What is the point of going on vacation if you're going to do something you don't like to do? If you're not a beach person, don't go on vacation with someone who likes going to the beach, because that's all we want to do, or at the very least, stay in the sun. I am also not going to traipse around to a bunch of different beaches. It's the same water, same sand. LOL

As far as dining out, I won't go to any restaurant that I can go to where I live. I will go to hole-in-the-walls if the food is good, and I don't mind a dress-up dinner out somewhere nice.

Vacation to me is not about camping and spending the least amount of money you can.
I don't want to hang out by a pool, shop, or go drinking/clubbing because I can go to Salt Lake or Denver in the summer and do that for a lot less money than going to some tropical place. That's not to say that I don't drink, but I can't stand traveling with people who want to get drunk all the time and that's not all I want to do.

The last two times I went on a tropical vacation I did a variety of activities. I did spend time at the beach but also went hiking in the rainforest, whitewater rafting, fishing in the ocean, and on a catamaran. Sitting on the same beach staring at the same scenery is very boring IMHO and I don't see the point in spending money for a vacation if that's all your going to do. If I just want to sit on a beach I have lakes that are close by.

As far as eating at fancy places, maybe once or twice but why spend the money on fancy food? I do agree with you on eating things that I can't get at home. McDonald's is only eaten if I want something quick or I'm in transit.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,316,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I agree..If you do end up in a group, there will always be one or two like this. No matter what you do or try to do to make the trip enjoyable for them, it's never enough.

Additionally, I hate freeloaders who "forgot" to bring enough money to cover his or her share. I could on and on...

Again, this is why I only travel with my wife now and maybe one or two close friends whom I know are great travelling companions from past experience. Other than that, I won't go with anyone else.

My thing is this.. I have to deal with annoying people at home. Why spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to deal with PITA people on an event which is supposed to be relaxing?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
To each his own as far as what makes a perfect vacation. I'm going to lay on a beach with time out to swim for 10 glorious days in a few weeks. When the sun goes down, I'll be going out for some fancy dinners.

My idea of a vacation is to relax, read, and spend time with my spouse. I had enough of the sightseeing and activities when we had our kids along.
Tell me about it.

When I go on vacation, I do things that I would not normally do at home like................eat fancy dinners and lay on the beach. I am nowhere near a beach at home. If I want to shop at high-end stores all day, I will. I don't have a lot of high-end stores in my home city.

The nerve of people.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, that is really the only rule needed.

Person A wants to see the Mona Lisa while person B wants to go to a strip club. That's fine as long as Person A doesn't want to make Person B go with them. And vice versa.

Yup. I'll be in Atlanta in October and my buddy wants to see his family and I'll be doing the strip clubs!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,506,803 times
These mainly apply to overseas trips:

1) Working on vacation: Isn't the whole point of vacation to get your mind off of work (and possibly be more recharged for work once you come back)?

Exceptions:

- You own your own business and it needs to be attended to every single day.
- Your boss lets you work remotely while on vacation.. you're getting paid and not using vacation days in exchange.
- Some emergency came up at work and they need your help asap.

2) Eating your own country's food, talking with other tourists from your own country, etc.

When I'm on vacation, I'd rather eat the local cuisine and talk with the local people for a change. You don't get to come there very often in your life so why not embrace the local culture?

3) Spending a ton of time on the Internet.

It's OK if you really need to look up something (if you're lost or need more information that you forgot to research on tourist attractions).. but I see vacation as a time to UNPLUG. Even if I'm on a 12 hour train ride with Wifi, I'd rather enjoy the passing scenery than surf the web.

4) Too little variety in activities.

I don't mind visiting the beach, hiking, going to museums, clubbing, etc. I like to be doing multiple activities. And I'd like to visit a variety of different locales (cities, small towns, rural areas, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel