Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,376,419 times

Advertisements

I do my best to avoid meeting other Brits when I'm holidaying in the US; I don't travel thousands of miles to another culture to want to talk about Good Old Blighty. So if I hear any British accents I keep my head down and my mouth shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,745,654 times
Oh, so many good gripes in this thread!

I myself don't spend much time lying on the beach, but I do love being on the beach, walking, swimming, birdwatching, and yes, sometimes just sitting there watching the water.

My pet gripes:

- whiners, complainers, negative people

- people who talk about how great their own country is when they're visiting a foreign one

- people who are too cheap to spend money on a decent meal in a restaurant (yes)

- slowpokes. This is mainly on small group tours.

- shopping with men--it's mostly women who like to shop, and it's tough having a bored man along

- having everything planned down to the hour--I like to wander and discover

Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,017,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Oh, so many good gripes in this thread!

I myself don't spend much time lying on the beach, but I do love being on the beach, walking, swimming, birdwatching, and yes, sometimes just sitting there watching the water.

My pet gripes:

- whiners, complainers, negative people

- people who talk about how great their own country is when they're visiting a foreign one

- people who are too cheap to spend money on a decent meal in a restaurant (yes)

- slowpokes. This is mainly on small group tours.

- shopping with men--it's mostly women who like to shop, and it's tough having a bored man along

- having everything planned down to the hour--I like to wander and discover
Slowpokes drive me crazy!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,009,369 times
When traveling, I don't tolerate:
  • strangers standing in my personal space
  • complainers
  • people who never want to leave the hotel
  • cheap people
  • loud people
  • people constantly cussing
  • people who heckle comedians
If they were in my travel group, I'd quickly do a, "Hey, I don't have time for this. See you later." Then leave.

For strangers, hopefully I'd say nothing, just leave.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM

244 posts, read 669,022 times
I just got back from vacation with my family and one thing came up that really bugs me.

Please be considerate of our time.

You know that our child wakes up between 6-7, and I can hear your child awake as well. Don't take 3 more hours to decide that you are ready to get up, get dressed, have breakfast and face the day. I can only keep him occupied so long before he goes stir crazy.

On the first day of going to the beach, we went down there with my dad. They were supposed to follow right after us with my mom. It took them another hour because my SIL decided that she was going to take a shower that morning before going to the beach. Our boys (cousins) only had about 45 minutes to play together before we had to head back for lunch and rest time.

I was a little relieved that they had to leave a few days early so that we could be out of the vacation rental on time. It took them almost 2 hours to pack and load everything for 3 people. It's not that hard. We did it in 30 minutes for 3 people.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
I just got back from vacation with my family and one thing came up that really bugs me.

Please be considerate of our time.

You know that our child wakes up between 6-7, and I can hear your child awake as well. Don't take 3 more hours to decide that you are ready to get up, get dressed, have breakfast and face the day. I can only keep him occupied so long before he goes stir crazy.

On the first day of going to the beach, we went down there with my dad. They were supposed to follow right after us with my mom. It took them another hour because my SIL decided that she was going to take a shower that morning before going to the beach. Our boys (cousins) only had about 45 minutes to play together before we had to head back for lunch and rest time.

I was a little relieved that they had to leave a few days early so that we could be out of the vacation rental on time. It took them almost 2 hours to pack and load everything for 3 people. It's not that hard. We did it in 30 minutes for 3 people.
Some other people here have mentioned slowpokes. That would drive me crazy as well. My last vacation we had some people who took hours (and I mean that literally) to get ready to go out.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,595,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
What are some things you don't like that other travelers do when you travel? For there are a few:

1) Shopping.-A little is fine, but a whole day of shopping, not allowed. Especially in an area with lots to do (ie Disney World).
2) Laying by the pool during the day.-That's fine at night if you are in a hot place, but not all day.
3) Spending an entire tropical vacation doing nothing but laying on the beach. The beach is fun, but not to spend an entire vacation on. Especially if you only go to one beach the entire time. At least go to different beaches to lay on.
4) Clubbing/drinking excessively. Booze is available at home, there are better things to spend money on.
5) Eating fancy dinners. This is where it's okay to cut costs, although I'm not saying to eat McDonald's the entire time.

Perhaps this is why I travel alone or with only certain family members.
Yep, I could never travel with you! With the exception of #4, those are all my FAVORITE things to do on vacation You are going to hate this, but I take vacations just for shopping!

But to each their own. I don't care what you do as long as you are considerate of others. Don't cut in front of me in line, push or shove. Please don't slam the hotel/cabin door and be considerate when walking down the halls late at night and talking too loud when others may be sleeping.

Usually, when I am traveling out of the country, I am almost ashamed to admit I am American by the way some other Americans act and treat locals

Old 08-30-2013, 01:31 AM

23,298 posts, read 29,167,778 times
Since I've gotten spoiled by traveling alone too many times, if and when I decide to have someone join me on a trip, I research that prospect thoroughly before I commit, to avoid any frustrations.

Number 1, they must be readers! Take along some books like I do or be a big TV watcher! I don't want to hear it: I'm bored, let's do something together! or: I don't want to go there alone!

Number 2, no chatty Kathy's! If long periods of silence disturbs you, then travel with someone else! I don't want to hear it: Are you mad at me? You're not talking to me!

Number 3, similar walking paces! I don't want to hear it: you're walking too fast, slow down!

Number 4, not being a shopper, I don't want to hear it: I'm only going to shop here a half-hour, don't leave me behind!

Yup! As selfish as I am, it's best I travel alone!

But I do have a person that fits that bill handsomely, and the frustrations are but a minimum!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM

89 posts, read 203,271 times
when you visit the crowed attraction, and you will find many intolerable thinks from other travelers such as walking on glass, throwing rubbish anywhere, pushing and shoving others, jumping the queue and speaking loudly on phone etc. all these things are very annoying and ruin your mood.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Daisy View Post
when you visit the crowed attraction, and you will find many intolerable thinks from other travelers such as walking on glass, throwing rubbish anywhere, pushing and shoving others, jumping the queue and speaking loudly on phone etc. all these things are very annoying and ruin your mood.
Walking on glass? I haven't seen anyone do that when I've traveled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel