Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,998,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The wording of the title of this thread is used in the wrong context. And it's wrong all around anyway. Adults aren't children. I don't have to reprimand a grown adult so they can know how to behave. They should have learned that at age 4. It's not my job to be their parent and I'm not going to waste my precious time and breathe arguing with belligerent adults on my vacation.
By the way it's spelled breath not breathe. Breathe is a verb and breath is a noun.

I think some of you are taking this thread way too seriously and getting personally offended even though I doubt I will ever be traveling with any of you. Maybe I should have put "pet peeves" in the title. I think some of you should read some of my other posts on here. I'm not as uptight as some seem to think nor have I ever been belligerent to other travelers in a group or reprimanded another adult. I do leave groups if there is something else I want to do, the point of this thread was to see what are some of the things people don't like other travelers doing. I seem to be in the minority, which as I said before, is why I travel on my own or with certain family members who agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,063,886 times
I'm not a fan of shopping and I hate it when I'm with a group and I'm expected to go because I'm a woman. I don't 'plan' every second, I like to hang out in the sun & go out at night, but there is usually a day I'm sick of the pool/beach and will suggest we do something else. I hate tours-I like to see sights & explore, but not with some person going on & on & on...I never listen anyway & it's a waste of money, especially if I can see it myself.

One of the most annoyting things was when our friends asked us if we wanted to go to a certain part of the island after dinner one night. We assumed we were going to walk around, get a drink, do something...we paid a lot of money for the cab ride only to find out that there was nothing to do there, our friends just wanted to walk from hotel to hotel to see what they looked like. That's great if they want to do that, but it wasn't our thing & I felt like they did that on purpose so we would pay for a cab ride one way. We have learned since then to make it clear what we want to do.

Finally, the most irritating thing EVER, was when our friend gave us a cruise as a gift. He didn't take into consideration that it was a cruise with really bad reviews, the cost of airfare & boarding our dogs. The stupid trip ended up costing us twice what it cost him, & it sucked. People were very rude on this trip, and so were the staff.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM

23,622 posts, read 24,171,106 times
1/ People hanging out and doing nothing, wasting time basically
2/ Poor or no planning
3/ Always going to tourist trap type places
4/ People who smoke around you with any consideration

Old 08-20-2013, 03:30 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,349,222 times
Egads. This thread reminds me of exactly WHY I do NOT travel with other folks on vacation.

I like to shop on vacation. I come with a listing of stores and the whole process might take an hour or two over the course of a week. One friend pouted that we had to stop for 20 minutes so I could hit a particular place where I buy a lot of clothes.

I like to eat out on vacation. If I have to cook meals, I would rather stay at home where I have a very well stocked menu.

I check my e-mail everyday. If you don't like it, sorry.

I am NOT going to sit around all week at a remote lake. That is not my idea of a vacation ... although it does get me caught up with my reading.

I do not like overplanning. I have friends who know where they plan to eat out each meal for the week when they leave town.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,106,114 times
I cannot recall a time ever traveling with folks who did not have the same interests as I did, except for when I was a kid. Even if I traveled with a big group, me and my friends, or new friends who are of like minds get together and do our own thing. I do agree with the OP that I could not tolerate being around a group of shoppers because I would be bored out of my mind

Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
I can think of a couple of things: I did answer this about a week ago, but a few things have cropped up: I had a very good friend, we shared the same political views, love for sports, had kids the same age, but we could not travel together. One time we went to Vegas with our older kids for a couple of days. She didn't gamble, so if I stopped at a slot machine and won even a buck, she would grab it and say, ok, that is enough..!!This was in the days when the money would come out and into a tray. Then when we lived in the DC area, she flew from CA to DC to stay with us for about a week. We took an overnight trip to Williamsburg and it was total HELL. We didn't see eye to eye on anything when it came to travel and sight seeing. That is when I realized, even best friends are not always good travel partners.

I also can't stand negative people. You sit next to someone at the table on a cruise, for instance and all they can do is *****....It makes you wonder if anything ever pleases them, whether traveling, being at home or at work?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,558,592 times
I think a lot on this thread are taking what the OP said way to literally. But it is CD so......

What I can't tolorate/stand.

I agree with the whiners...if you don't like bugs or the outdoors, please don't agree to go camping with us.

Everyone else expecting ME or just one person to make all the daily plans.
Example...we agree to to vacation together...it's my neck of the woods so I send out an email with local links of things that are in the area....attractions, points of interest, festivals, restaurants ect.... Please I ask them....what are your interests? What are some things you'd like to do? How would you like to spend your days?
Silly me thinking that this way we can incorporate everyone's interests...or plan days that we do things separately. Silence......dispite numerous requests for input.
So we arrive and all look at me blankly waiting for me to tell them what is on the agenda.

Yeah...lesson learned.....we'll be planning only long weekends with them again. Never a full vacation.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I think a lot on this thread are taking what the OP said way to literally. But it is CD so......

What I can't tolorate/stand.

I agree with the whiners...if you don't like bugs or the outdoors, please don't agree to go camping with us.

Everyone else expecting ME or just one person to make all the daily plans.
Example...we agree to to vacation together...it's my neck of the woods so I send out an email with local links of things that are in the area....attractions, points of interest, festivals, restaurants ect.... Please I ask them....what are your interests? What are some things you'd like to do? How would you like to spend your days?
Silly me thinking that this way we can incorporate everyone's interests...or plan days that we do things separately. Silence......dispite numerous requests for input.
So we arrive and all look at me blankly waiting for me to tell them what is on the agenda.

Yeah...lesson learned.....we'll be planning only long weekends with them again. Never a full vacation.
We had a similar experience when doing a family cruise a few years ago. Our younger daughter just assumed our older daughter would take charge and make all the decisions. The thing about that which really put a damper on the trip: the younger daughter is also over organized, so she wants everything planned. We decided when the cruise was over, never again would we take a long vacation with daughter number 2.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,998,299 times
Granny Sue, it's amazing how people take everything so literally and get offended so easily on City Data.

Nmnita, I do agree that over-planning is just as bad as under-planning. That doesn't sound like a good experience either. There is a happy medium with planning (and so many other things). So many people don't seem to understand that concept.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,781,209 times
My wife tries to cram to many activities in a day. I hate rushing around trying to beat the clock on vacation. I'd rather do one thing and relax than three things and be hurried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel