Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,893,974 times

Advertisements

@ nmita : well, there is also another reason why I avoid package tours (and in general crowded places): I suffer from a (mild fortunately) case of agoraphobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
What are some things you don't like that other travelers do when you travel? For there are a few:

1) Shopping.-A little is fine, but a whole day of shopping, not allowed. Especially in an area with lots to do (ie Disney World).
2) Laying by the pool during the day.-That's fine at night if you are in a hot place, but not all day.
3) Spending an entire tropical vacation doing nothing but laying on the beach. The beach is fun, but not to spend an entire vacation on. Especially if you only go to one beach the entire time. At least go to different beaches to lay on.
4) Clubbing/drinking excessively. Booze is available at home, there are better things to spend money on.
5) Eating fancy dinners. This is where it's okay to cut costs, although I'm not saying to eat McDonald's the entire time.

Perhaps this is why I travel alone or with only certain family members.
1. Yeah. I am disinterested in shopping.
2. I have my own pool. Pools hold zero fascination for me. What I *really* don't understand are people who go on beach vacations and hang out by the pool. Huh?

3. Here is where we part company. I plan a beach vacation to be at the beach. Snorkeling, reading, tanning, swimming, floating, having fancy drinks brought to me. That is why I pick certain places and certain beaches. That is the whole point of my being there. Running around seeing sights or whatever is annoying. My life is hectic and busy enough at home. I am trying to chill here.

4. I don't club.

5. Again, this makes no sense. I go on vacation to have a good time. Fancy delicious food can be a part of that.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
. I spare expenses on meals because I would rather save that money to do something more fun than eat. .
I don't go on vacations where I have to choose between affording experiences vs food.
Or any other trade-offs for that matter.
If I can't do everything I want to do, why bother?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,941,137 times
We're actually leaving this weekend for a week with a couple of friends of ours. It'll be the 4 of us and we have a 5-month old coming as well.

We made sure to get together yesterday to come up with a "game plan" to be on the same page about certain things. We're all in agreement that we don't want to spend TOO much extra money during the trip and going out maybe once or twice for a nice seafood dinner would be perfect enough. We're going to do some food shopping together for breakfast, lunch, and dinner items plus snacks and alcoholic beverages.

We made it clear too that they are not glued to be with us the entire time and vice versa... so I think it's really important when traveling with others that everyone is on the same page as far as their intentions. I'm sure there is no perfect plan on how to travel with others but being on the same page about certain things should make it more enjoyable for all.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,749,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
The vast majority of my vacations are taken at Disneyland, so here are the rules I wish other people would follow there:

1. Don't hold up the line. This involves cutting in front of people who were there before you, making everyone behind you wait while you take pictures of your party standing in line, and all other behaviors that make the wait to ride the ride longer than it needs to be.

2. This is my space, that is your space. Keep yourself, your kids, and your stuff out of my space. Some people can fart at will. Some people will rock backwards unexpectedly. Some people will have coughing/sneezing fits and forget to cover their mouths. You really don't need to climb into anyone's back pocket.

3. Don't stop in the middle of the road. This increases exponentially for every person in your group. If you find yourslef lost or in need of a moment to regroup, PULL OVER. The road is for walking, not for stopping.

4. Keep your kids off the ropes/chains/fence/guardrail/trash cans/wall/etc. And don't get mad at me when I laugh when they fall and hurt themselves.

5. Obey Disney Cast Members. It doesn't matter if you think the thing they're asking of you is stupid. Just do it, and be polite about it. They're only trying to make sure that everyone has the safest and most enjoyable experience at the parks. Get over yourself, it isn't just about you.

6. When someone is coming at you pushing a wheelchair or a stroller, you get out of their way. It's much easier for you to move yourself than for them to move what they're pushing.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of anymore right this second.

I agree with most of what you said. The one I take issue with is #1. I do Disney and other theme parks quite a bit (Universal, etc). I don't mind if someone stops for a few seconds to snap a photo. It holds the line up, but it's not like the people are not being loaded onto the ride because of this. I would only be irritated if they didn't get on the ride because they were taking a photo. If they are in the middle of the line, and want to get a photo of them near the Haunted Mansion or Buzz in Toy Story line, then go for it.

It doesn't mean that the line takes longer. If there is a 30 minute wait, the wait will be the same regardless.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM

451 posts, read 771,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I agree with most of what you said. The one I take issue with is #1. I do Disney and other theme parks quite a bit (Universal, etc). I don't mind if someone stops for a few seconds to snap a photo. It holds the line up, but it's not like the people are not being loaded onto the ride because of this. I would only be irritated if they didn't get on the ride because they were taking a photo. If they are in the middle of the line, and want to get a photo of them near the Haunted Mansion or Buzz in Toy Story line, then go for it.

It doesn't mean that the line takes longer. If there is a 30 minute wait, the wait will be the same regardless.
I understand what you're saying, and I didn't mean to say that quick photos while in line aren't ok. I've taken them myself more than once. I'm talking about people who hold up the line for several minutes because their toddler isn't looking at the camera and then the flash didn't go off, but then it went off and the toddler has red eye, and on and on. Or large groups who insist on gathering everyone together for a group photo of nothing more interesting than standing in line (no interesting background or object, etc). That one baffles me. If you want a group photo, that's what PhotoPass is for. They'll even use your camera if you ask them.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
I understand what you're saying, and I didn't mean to say that quick photos while in line aren't ok. I've taken them myself more than once. I'm talking about people who hold up the line for several minutes because their toddler isn't looking at the camera and then the flash didn't go off, but then it went off and the toddler has red eye, and on and on. Or large groups who insist on gathering everyone together for a group photo of nothing more interesting than standing in line (no interesting background or object, etc). That one baffles me. If you want a group photo, that's what PhotoPass is for. They'll even use your camera if you ask them.

I see what you're saying.

So then, we are back in agreement.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,466,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
We're actually leaving this weekend for a week with a couple of friends of ours. It'll be the 4 of us and we have a 5-month old coming as well.
This is not directed at you at all, but it did remind me of a big vacation peeve of mine.

If you have a child and you are going with a group of others who don't have kids, please don't expect them to accomodate all of the issues involved with bringing kids.

I went on a vacation with some friends, one of whom at the last minute brought her kid. It wasn't planned, in fact we didn't want kids along on this adult trip, we were all getting away from our kids. LOL She had no problem with it at first, and then suddenly she shows up with a four-year old. Not fun.

The entire trip we found ourselves waiting for her, like if we were supposed to all meet in the lobby at 5pm for dinner, she was still upstairs getting him ready instead of being on time. We tried to split up so some of us could go to a bar but she wheedled on & on about how she couldn't go.

By the end of the trip we had resorted to just leaving her in the room while we went and did our thing. She got upset but we had to tell her, this vacation was supposed to be child-free, and that's how we had planned our outings.

We heard later that she had planned all along to bring him. She never got invited again.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is not directed at you at all, but it did remind me of a big vacation peeve of mine.

If you have a child and you are going with a group of others who don't have kids, please don't expect them to accomodate all of the issues involved with bringing kids.

I went on a vacation with some friends, one of whom at the last minute brought her kid. It wasn't planned, in fact we didn't want kids along on this adult trip, we were all getting away from our kids. LOL She had no problem with it at first, and then suddenly she shows up with a four-year old. Not fun.

The entire trip we found ourselves waiting for her, like if we were supposed to all meet in the lobby at 5pm for dinner, she was still upstairs getting him ready instead of being on time. We tried to split up so some of us could go to a bar but she wheedled on & on about how she couldn't go.

By the end of the trip we had resorted to just leaving her in the room while we went and did our thing. She got upset but we had to tell her, this vacation was supposed to be child-free, and that's how we had planned our outings.

We heard later that she had planned all along to bring him. She never got invited again.
That is really selfish on her part.

Nothing wrong with kids (I have one). But if the trip is an adult trip, then it needs to be treated as such.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,654,060 times
The wording of the title of this thread is used in the wrong context. And it's wrong all around anyway. Adults aren't children. I don't have to reprimand a grown adult so they can know how to behave. They should have learned that at age 4. It's not my job to be their parent and I'm not going to waste my precious time and breathe arguing with belligerent adults on my vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel