Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,791,372 times

Advertisements

The things I don't tolerate all have to do with manners.

I don't get my nose out of joint about how others chose to spend their vacation. If they wanna lay on a beach and veg/shop/eat out, eat in/do whatever - more power to 'em. If they're loud, rude, demanding jerks while they do it, then we'll all wish they'd stayed home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,014,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
These mainly apply to overseas trips:

1) Working on vacation: Isn't the whole point of vacation to get your mind off of work (and possibly be more recharged for work once you come back)?

Exceptions:

- You own your own business and it needs to be attended to every single day.
- Your boss lets you work remotely while on vacation.. you're getting paid and not using vacation days in exchange.
- Some emergency came up at work and they need your help asap.

2) Eating your own country's food, talking with other tourists from your own country, etc.

When I'm on vacation, I'd rather eat the local cuisine and talk with the local people for a change. You don't get to come there very often in your life so why not embrace the local culture?

3) Spending a ton of time on the Internet.

It's OK if you really need to look up something (if you're lost or need more information that you forgot to research on tourist attractions).. but I see vacation as a time to UNPLUG. Even if I'm on a 12 hour train ride with Wifi, I'd rather enjoy the passing scenery than surf the web.

4) Too little variety in activities.

I don't mind visiting the beach, hiking, going to museums, clubbing, etc. I like to be doing multiple activities. And I'd like to visit a variety of different locales (cities, small towns, rural areas, etc.)
I never have worked while on vacation. The only time I've seen someone else do it was because he owned his own business and it was just to check in periodically. I also like to unplug. I don't want to be on the internet or watching TV unless it's at night and I'm winding down. Hopefully there are enough other things to do while on vacation to occupy my time. I'm with you on the multiple activities. Most importantly, do things you can't do at home.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,466,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I don't want to hang out by a pool, shop, or go drinking/clubbing because I can go to Salt Lake or Denver in the summer and do that for a lot less money than going to some tropical place. That's not to say that I don't drink, but I can't stand traveling with people who want to get drunk all the time and that's not all I want to do.

The last two times I went on a tropical vacation I did a variety of activities. I did spend time at the beach but also went hiking in the rainforest, whitewater rafting, fishing in the ocean, and on a catamaran. Sitting on the same beach staring at the same scenery is very boring IMHO and I don't see the point in spending money for a vacation if that's all your going to do. If I just want to sit on a beach I have lakes that are close by.

As far as eating at fancy places, maybe once or twice but why spend the money on fancy food? I do agree with you on eating things that I can't get at home. McDonald's is only eaten if I want something quick or I'm in transit.
I hear you. The best burger I ever had was at a cheap place at our timeshare!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,188,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
What are some things you don't like that other travelers do when you travel?
I don't like it when other travelers care what I'm doing and make judgements. Everyone is on vacation, let them do exactly what they want to do. If you don't want to sit on a beach, drink alcohol, or eat fancy dinners, then don't. But why in the world would you care if others want to?

Every year, my extended family travels to the beach for a week. 17 people, all age ranges. The best thing about it is that no one cares what anyone else does.

Want to do nothing all day? Great!
Want to shop all day? Great!
Want to hike along the trails all day? Great!
Want to hit the museums? Great!
Want to lay by the pool? Great!

Why don't you just let people enjoy their vacations, while you go enjoy yours?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,796,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Yup. I'll be in Atlanta in October and my buddy wants to see his family and I'll be doing the strip clubs!
Good for you!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Whiners. I don't tolerate whiners of any age. If you're going to ***** and moan while on vacation, take yourself as far from me as you can.
Yes! That's about it for me. I'll take about any kind of travel...lying around beach trip, adventure natural beauty trip, small group/large group...but I cannot stand whining!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,757,187 times
Rigid, judgemental people I meet.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 AM

89 posts, read 156,947 times
People who complain/whine. It was mentioned earlier, but it's really the only thing that bothers me about other travelers. I absolutely LOATHE people who complain about being "bored" and wanting to be entertained 24/7, instead of just enjoying the moment and having a relaxing time. The point of being on vacation is to relax and do something you can't do at home, not complain about how the country you are staying in doesn't have everything you had back home.

I also really don't like it when someone is a guest in my home, and complains/makes fun of where I live. Not just where I am staying at exactly, but the city or state I am living in. It is the quickest way to **** me off and send you packing. I invited you to come over and spend some quality time with me, and for you to have a relaxing time...not for you to ***** about how "boring" my home is. If you think it's so dreadful and horrible, feel free to leave and never come back. My house isn't the Ritz-Carlton.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,377,714 times
Our idea of a good vacation is to stay home so we really have no complaints regarding what others do when they travel.

When we do travel it is in our Motor Home during off peak times and we go visit family and relax in nearly deserted camp grounds.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Interesting question and title: the title is things you can not tolerate and then the subject is things your don't do that others like to do.

1-I could care less about how much people want to shop. For us, we used to shop, shop, shop, when we first started traveling. Now, we might buy something that is representative of the region or buy sweat shirts and/or T shirts, but that is about it.

2-I can't understand people who have to have internet access or have to have their phones with them, unless they are on call, it is a working vacation or they are expecting a really important message. Most correspondence is not really important. Heck we used to travel with no cell phones, no net, sometimes no phone service period and no TVs in our rooms or cabins, we did quite well. We knew if anything important happened there would be some way to bet in touch with us.

3-I can't stand people who are rude or do not follow the rules. This is true, whether vacationing or at home. The rudest people I have ever seen were in NY City and I don't mean the New Yorkers, I mean foreign tourists and the same on a few cruise ships.

4-we always try and eat at local restaurants that offer regional foods, whether traveling in the states or out of the country.

5-what many have hit on: I can't stand complainers and we have seen our share. Most of us have The worst was a gal on one of our cruises. She started complaining day one and never stopped.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-06-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel