Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 06:14 PM

343 posts, read 316,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What's wrong with Armenia or Georgia?
I WOULD go to Armenia or Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
India? Crowded enough without you. You can't imagine what you're missing, though. Without a doubt the most colorful chaotic and interesting country I've been to. Poverty? Saw more poverty on the streets of Wash DC than I did in India. Filth? Sure you can find it, but just go by certain housing projects in DC (on the way to a famous water garden) on Sunday morning and see worse. OTOH, Delhi's air quality is pretty amazing, in a negative way, but no worse than Beijing. But my visit to Hyderabad had good air quality. YMMV.

Last time I checked DC did not have any poverty on the scale of this magnitude, (a very sizable amount of the population in India does not even have access to toilets).

Old 12-15-2016, 08:21 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
on a mass-market 7N Carib cruise

Old 12-16-2016, 01:41 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Less than half of India's 1.2 billion people have a toilet in their home, it is beyond absurd to imply Washington DC has worse poverty or filth. All that trash piled up in cities with pigs and cows rooting through it, those gutters on either side of the streets with fetid water running along that people drop trash in and **** in, etc.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
The American presidential inauguration. Unless my invitation is stuck in the holiday mail.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Less than half of India's 1.2 billion people have a toilet in their home, it is beyond absurd to imply Washington DC has worse poverty or filth. All that trash piled up in cities with pigs and cows rooting through it, those gutters on either side of the streets with fetid water running along that people drop trash in and **** in, etc.
You obviously did NOT read what I had posted. I did NOT say poverty is worse in DC. Of course it isn't. But it is widespread and easy to find.

You and Beasley should know however that the worst poverty in India (much like the US) is not in your face. You need to seek it out. I did not on my India trips.

So please spare us sensational pictures, as well as descriptions of "all that trash". Neither are prevalent where westerners go.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
I did NOT say poverty is worse in DC. Of course it isn't. But it is widespread and easy to find.
But poverty in the Washington DC is at a totally different level than in India, which is what makes your post so ridiculous. If you're in poverty in India you're probably hungry more often than not, and have no electricity or indoor plumbing.

Quote:
You and Beasley should know however that the worst poverty in India (much like the US) is not in your face. You need to seek it out. I did not on my India trips.

So please spare us sensational pictures, as well as descriptions of "all that trash". Neither are prevalent where westerners go.
Nonsense. I'm a westerner and I don't travel to India to see filth or poverty, yet there it is every time. Delhi or Mumbai, two very popular cities with western tourists is a good place to start. Hell try Agra, the town has said gutter streams of putrid grayish liquid on many of the main streets, that would be filth. The little dirty naked kids following you down the street in Jaipur? Poverty. I lived in Washington DC for years and never saw anything like in India. Go check out the huge trash heap in the Pushkar that floats a rotting stench all about, that is where all the gutter water runs there.

Nobody needs to "seek" to find filth and poverty in India, I have no idea what you do when you visit India but it sure must be in a blind naive bubble.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:36 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Well, I don't think Mogadishu is very high on my priority list of places to visit.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
You're really missing out on some of the nicest countries in Europe to visit, especially Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Slovenia, Armenia, Georgia, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. It's not the Cold War anymore.
Sorry, but I have limited time and funds and have to prioritize. The Cold War has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:28 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
The Amazon jungle. Too many exotic creatures. I'm already afraid of all the creatures that appear around my home. I like watching documentaries about it, but wouldn't go there.

Africa. I'm not into safaris or dry weather.

Mexico. Basically, if I don't feel safe outside of the resort, I don't want to visit, and Mexico is one of them.

Middle East. I just think war zone.

I would only visit India for a picture in front of the Taj Mahal and then get out. I don't like how they treat the women there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel