Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,288,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
FWIW - I really think WDW is a very (or at least up until the last year or so) affordable vacation. We typically go for 10 - 12 days and don't spend much over $3000.
Yeah, people don't realize that it becomes a better value the longer the trip. Just look at the park tickets:

3 Day: $275 (~$92/day)
6 Day: $325 (~$54/day)
9 Day: $355 (~$40/day)

Sure, you're paying more for lodging, but paying less in admission (per day). So the overall price doesn't go up as much as people think.

So for a family of 4 staying in a value resort:

3 Days: $300 lodging plus $1100 admission = $1400 (~$467/day)
6 Days: $600 lodging plus $1300 Admission = $1900 (~$317/day)
9 Days: $900 lodging plus $1420 admission = $2320 (~$258/day)

I think people start pricing out a short trip because they assume that's all they'll be able to afford. So they don't bother to look at the possibility of staying longer. They think that if a 3 day stay is $1400, that means a 6 day stay would be $2800 and a 9 day stay is $4200.

One of the many many reasons that so many of us have said that planning is CRUCIAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
corrected.
Okay, that makes more sense, but no, it's not correct. It's for all ages. I just went a couple months ago with my elderly parents (no kids) and we had a great time.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,058,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
I remember when you used to be able to book a room at a "value" resort for under $100/night during low season, and a room at a "moderate" resort during value season now costs more per night than an oceanfront condo my husband and I rented on Maui a few years back.

There are three "value" resorts that I could check into today and pay under $100/night. There are a few moderate resorts priced around $150.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:05 AM

56 posts, read 62,963 times
I'm 29 and I still love Disney! Always have and always will. Ive been to Disney a fair amount of times now. The only way my family was able to afford the trips was by knowing someone with DVP's (disney vacation points) at the Animal Kingdom. DVP points are awesome (if you use them) and they are easily transferred. A friend of the family owns 200 DVP points at the Animal Kingdom each year. He assessed his cost per point and sold us the amount of points we needed to stay there at his cost. Animal Kingdom is about $350+ per night with just a studio room and savana room. If you get DVP's it came out to be about $100 and some a night (again at his cost, people can mark their up on open market).

So that is a good way to save a ton, there are web sights where people sell their points and you can buy them. However, with the flight costs, food costs, and the DVP costs, it was still less expensive to go on a 7 days Royal Caribbean Cruise than it was to stay 5 days at Disney. So we chose that as our vacation this year.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 AM

16,686 posts, read 8,686,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
First, did you go to D World or D Land?
Was it just now in the summer?

I have been to Disney far more than I care to admit. Being a FL resident, we can get special passes to where you essentially pay for one long weekend trip, then can return as often as you please throughout the year.
So some years we might go two or three times "to get our monies worth". Or at least that was the excuse they we convinced ourselves of.
Those passes only get you in, but you are still paying for hotels, food, etc.

Anyway, we learned that you do not go in the summer, as temperatures are brutal (we are use to it being native Floridians), and crowds are in full force. Also you want to avoid "Homo Week", normally in early June as some of the people are not respectful enough to keep their perverse lifestyle to themselves in public. On one of the days they all descend like locusts on the Magic Kingdom dressed in red shirts. So that is of course a day to visit one of the other parks if you are unfortunate enough to get caught there at the same time.
(BTW - Disney has nothing to do with it, and can't realistically prevent it)

The best times to go are during the fall, winter and spring. So if you are suffering a brutal winter, what better place to go when it is like outdoor air conditioning in the sunshine, and crowds are smaller. We really enjoyed going for the Christmas celebrations to where they close the park, then you get back in with special passes. They play Christmas music, have caroling, give you unlimited free hot coco, cookies, etc. All the Disney characters are dressed in holiday costumes, they have the Osborne light exhibit, etc.
We also like to go during the Food & Wine Festival(late Sept-early Nov) in Epcot. They not only have samplings of paired food/wine from the primary countries, many other countries have stations in between (such as Australia). They have live bands playing all over, even some bigger names during that time.

There are books and websites that will give you the do's & don'ts, how to save money, time in line, etc.
Heck there is even a meal plan where you can save 20% or more.

The bottom line is that it is most fun for the kids, and parents can also enjoy themselves if they know how.

`

Old 06-17-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
I'm 29 and I still love Disney! Always have and always will. Ive been to Disney a fair amount of times now. The only way my family was able to afford the trips was by knowing someone with DVP's (disney vacation points) at the Animal Kingdom. DVP points are awesome (if you use them) and they are easily transferred. A friend of the family owns 200 DVP points at the Animal Kingdom each year. He assessed his cost per point and sold us the amount of points we needed to stay there at his cost. Animal Kingdom is about $350+ per night with just a studio room and savana room. If you get DVP's it came out to be about $100 and some a night (again at his cost, people can mark their up on open market).
My sister had unused Vacation Club points, so my parents and I stayed in an AK Savannah view room for 3 nights using her points and didn't have to pay anything. (Though we bought sis a really nice gift! )

Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 PM

144 posts, read 140,383 times
Been twice, once 2 days and 2nd time 5 days, going again for the 4th of July weekend, I'm sure if will be crazy, but I love it

Old 06-17-2015, 02:02 PM

56 posts, read 62,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
My sister had unused Vacation Club points, so my parents and I stayed in an AK Savannah view room for 3 nights using her points and didn't have to pay anything. (Though we bought sis a really nice gift! )

DVC points are great, to own if you actually go to disney that much. I think right now 150pts per year up to 200pts per year go for about $12k give or take $3k. Plus you have the mandatory maintenance fee per point, he said his was about $1300 on the year for his 200.

For those who dont know what Disney Vacation Points are, here it is. Its like a time share plan. To purchase you even have to go through a closing process. People can buy from Disney (way too expensive) or they can buy from others who want to sell their time share. You get an allotted amount of points per year based on how much you buy them for. Your points start on a certain date and then every year on that date you get the same amount of points as last. You can either "bank" them or you can even "go into the negative" and take from next years.

The points allow you to stay at ANY DVC property. Most choose Animal Kingdom from my experiences. You get all the amenities and its just like you booked the hotel from Disney. You pay a certain amount of points each night based on time of year, type of room, view, holiday, weekend or weekday. You can calculate the number of points based on their chart, then you simply book it and Disney takes your points and you simply check in.

Now, these points can be bought or sold as well. Lets say I have 70 DVC points I wont use this year and need some cash for something. I can sell you my DVC points, you simply tell me the property, room type, and dates you want. I then make the reservation for you and you simply check in. Since you dont have an account with Disney, I simply cant transfer them you. I have to make the arrangements with disney, however, I can put you on the account of the reservation so you get the updates and can check in. The meal plan cannot be combined with DVC points and must be bought separately as well.

For all those looking to stay at a higher end resort, but cant afford it. Go on google and look for Disney Vacation Points resale sites. Its a very safe and easy process.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,916,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
A couple of suggestions from a non-Disney fan (but I have a toddler!):
1) Don't go during peak times (Summer & breaks for kids) if at all possible
2) Plan ahead with the fast passes and research/ use a travel agent to help with your selections
3) Pay for the character lunches (don't need to wait in line/ use a fast pass for them)
4) Get to the park 10 min before it opens. It gets crowded 2-3 hours after opening.
5) Ideally, stay in a monorail (or water ferry) hotel to cut down on travel time/ waiting. I guess a hotel with a shuttle works too.
6) Plan your day ahead. I know it sucks to have a detailed plan for your vacation, but it will help a lot
7) Set expectations for yourself and your kids (no, you can't do all of the Magic Kingdom in 1 day, use 2-3 days or skip things).

That's about it from me. Disney can be fun (and have surprisingly good food) for adults and kids, but it's not a given.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM

144 posts, read 140,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yeah, people don't realize that it becomes a better value the longer the trip. Just look at the park tickets:

3 Day: $275 (~$92/day)
6 Day: $325 (~$54/day)
9 Day: $355 (~$40/day)

Sure, you're paying more for lodging, but paying less in admission (per day). So the overall price doesn't go up as much as people think.

So for a family of 4 staying in a value resort:

3 Days: $300 lodging plus $1100 admission = $1400 (~$467/day)
6 Days: $600 lodging plus $1300 Admission = $1900 (~$317/day)
9 Days: $900 lodging plus $1420 admission = $2320 (~$258/day)

I think people start pricing out a short trip because they assume that's all they'll be able to afford. So they don't bother to look at the possibility of staying longer. They think that if a 3 day stay is $1400, that means a 6 day stay would be $2800 and a 9 day stay is $4200.

One of the many many reasons that so many of us have said that planning is CRUCIAL.

LOL, this is America people don't have so many vacation days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel