Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

OP: Much depends on where you're interested in visiting in terms of and what may be available there and what your budget is like, but it you can afford at least a mid-range to mid-upper range hotel (I'm thinking of something like an Embassy Suites) that cater to business travelers, especially conferences, that may work well.

Many of the people who are at those hotels on business (which are typically nice with good amenities such as gyms, indoor pools, etc.) are there by themselves (even if they're married), so a single guy may feel more comfortable making that your home base of lodging rather than a hotel that tends to cater to families on vacation.

And better yet, since you are on vacation, you can walk past all of those conference goers who are dutifully headed to a dreadfully boring Power Point presentation in their hot, starched shirts while you're headed down to the pool or the beach (you may not be going there, but you get the point) ready to relax and enjoy yourself! This all depends on where you're interested in going, though, as some areas that are almost solely a resort won't have the business hotels, so you'll need to consider where you'd like to go and see if this is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times
Just a hair off topic, but as a single/solo male traveler to meet and click with a solo female traveler for even just a short period of time can be magic. The best part of solo travel is that the adventure typically begins when your not looking for it.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
go to pattaya. pretty much all the tourists there are single. couples often complain how out of place they feel when visiting.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 PM

other cities i would recommend for single guys travelling alone:

angeles city, philippines
sosua, dominican republic
medellin, colombia

most beach resort towns around the world are strictly BYOP. there are a few that are good for single guys, but they are not the conventional destinations everyone else goes to. need to do your own research.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
Travel outside the US. Although I'm married, I did a lot of "side travel" during business trips on my own (and I'm quite introverted). Europe and NZ (most of my experiences) are more amenable to single travelers. People don't think you're crazy if you're out by yourself. Just take a book with you when you go out to eat, or just sit back and watch the scenery/people (eating out by myself was the hardest thing for me!).

If you have a hobby or something that you can do while you're visiting a place, that helps. For instance, history, architecture, art, photography, etc. I personally love photography, so that's what I do when I go somewhere. I also like history, so I enjoy reading about a place and then experiencing it in person.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:01 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
I'm also around the OP's age, divorced, and have been on a few solo vacations. I don't mind traveling alone, but I'd sure like to meet people once I arrive at my destination, and B&Bs offer very little because they're so couple-oriented.

I've always wanted to try something community-related, like helping people on a farm or ranch somewhere in Middle America. I was looking into it seriously a few years ago but never went, and now I'm considering it again. Here's a site that explains it a bit:

What's a Farm Stay? | Farm Stay U.S.

This site also offers a lot of information:
How to travel cheap

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
go to pattaya. pretty much all the tourists there are single. couples often complain how out of place they feel when visiting.
Quote:

medellin, colombia

most beach resort towns around the world are strictly BYOP. there are a few that are good for single guys, but they are not the conventional destinations everyone else goes to. need to do your own research.
Wow. These are all cities known for sex tourism.

By the way, I didn't know this but had to Google each city and boom, there it is.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwriter View Post
Thank you for the link to a most interesting web site. I am single and love travel to new locations and cultures.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow. These are all cities known for sex tourism.

By the way, I didn't know this but had to Google each city and boom, there it is.
they are destinations that cater to single men.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:

medellin, colombia

I've considered Medellin. There's actually a mail order bride service I considered that goes to Medellin. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel