Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Stay in hostels. There are a number of ways to find them, such as hostelworld.com. You'll pay about $10-15 a night, sleep in a dorm bed in a room with lots of other people from all over the world, and never a dull moment.

The rest of the world does not share American's contempt for older people. I'm 76, I just got back from 6 weeks in central Eurasia, and everyplace I stayed, I was made to feel welcome by fellow travelers whose average age was 1/3 of mine. There were lots of people 40 and up -- in hostels nobody pays any attention to age.

A few nights I had to stay in proper hotels, and it was pretty lonely. But it was when I was 25, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stay in hostels. There are a number of ways to find them, such as hostelworld.com. You'll pay about $10-15 a night, sleep in a dorm bed in a room with lots of other people from all over the world, and never a dull moment.

The rest of the world does not share American's contempt for older people. I'm 76, I just got back from 6 weeks in central Eurasia, and everyplace I stayed, I was made to feel welcome by fellow travelers whose average age was 1/3 of mine. There were lots of people 40 and up -- in hostels nobody pays any attention to age.

A few nights I had to stay in proper hotels, and it was pretty lonely. But it was when I was 25, too.
You're much more adventurous than I am. I'm tempted to just pay for a guided tour, but I don't just want to see a bunch of museums with couples. I don't know. On the one hand I really want to travel, and on the other, the planning of it stresses me out, mostly because I've had bad experiences traveling alone. I've tried to find a friend to go with me, but that's not happening.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
re-adjust your 'planning needs'.

get rid of the OCD mentality, and go with the flow (that is when you find the BEST experiences anyway).

Stuff happens... missed / canceled flights / lost bags / road construction / accidents / hurricanes, volcanoes, floods...

I broke my leg 2 weeks ago while traveling solo. Didn't slow me down much, but changed my plans a bit. (less hiking / motorcycle / biking / climbing), but similar same / destinations.

Trust me... no need to stress out about travel planning. life will not work out PERFECT.

Was just with a friend who went solo on a motorcycle ride for a week. Told his wife... "see you in a week"... Where are u going? Who knows... Due to forest fires and weather he changed route several times during his week out. It was his first time 'stealth camping' (pulling off on a road in the boonies). I have been doing that for 50 yrs. much of it in National Parks. (Campgrounds are full anyway)

I agree with '88' that hotels are lonely and creepy. Thus I usually use http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange $10 - $20 / night worldwide, very safe, very fun, very educational.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
What were your bad experiences travelling alone? Were they actually due to being alone, or just bad luck/inexperience (and now you know better)?

Old 08-08-2015, 07:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
You're much more adventurous than I am..
Adventurous is a state of mind that you create for yourself, not some limit imposed on you from birth.

I left on a trip this summer to Kyrgyzstan, 76 years old and legally blind, walking with a white cane. My attitude was, the worst that can happen would be to hail a taxi, go to the nearest airport, get out a credit card, and fly home. That's not adventurous, it is just the prudence of having a door that you do not close behind you.

I met a 75-year old Italian in my hostel who bought a $300 bicycle in Urumqi, China, and rode it over the mountains to Kyrgyzstan, 1,000 kilometers. That's adventurous.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM

814 posts, read 2,044,107 times
for the really extroverted adventurous single guy there is always the nudist resort in Jamica
Hedonism II | Top Nudist Resorts In Negril, Jamaica

Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
for the really extroverted adventurous single guy there is always the nudist resort in Jamica
Hedonism II | Top Nudist Resorts In Negril, Jamaica
and why do you think extroverted single guys (or single guys in general) are even interested in that sort of resort? I wouldn't go even if it existed within walking distance from my house.

It is disgusting even to assume most guys travel to see boobs and have casual sex. And why exactly does one have to travel to have sex, like there are no female locally? Is it for the purpose of boasting about upon returning home?

Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Go to Amsterdam.. Great place to solo travel

Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Try a company called Backroads.com, lots of active and semi active trips. I've done a couple as a solo and really enjoyed them. You can get to know the others as much as you feel like.

I'm a little older but like traveling alone. What appeals to me is seeing cool things (Pyramids, Arches Park, Museums) and just walking cities. On my own schedule, sometimes I checkout the sites, other times I go to a beach or day drink my way around an area. Try to be the first on your block to go somewhere. See the Panama Canal, Anghor Wat, Iguacu Falls, Easter Island, Petra, Antarctica. Be somebody.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 AM

578 posts, read 573,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You might consider small group tours, and possibly small ship cruises. Emphasis on SMALL. In a group of around 20-24 people, everyone gets to know everyone else, and it doesn't matter so much whether you're a part of a couple or traveling as a single.
I know I am chiming in on a thread that is a year and a half old, but wanted to make a comment. Actually small tours and ships and so on are NOT a good idea for the introverted traveler. Those are the type of situations where the traveler feels forced to interact with other people. I think a lot of people think introverted travelers are desperate to be forced into social situations, which is the opposite.

I think one of the best ways to travel as a solo introvert is to head to go to one of the larger cities, actually. The trick is to not focus on specific itineraries nor to focus on well known or fancy restaurants. Instead be an explorer - just walk around different neighborhoods, check out galleries and museums if you like them, and look for the hole in the wall restaurants, not just fancy dining but great cheap bites. You will feel more comfortable in those situations, be able to interact when you feel up to it but don't have to iif you dnt want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel