Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times

Advertisements

I truly enjoy traveling, but I never seem to wake up well rested when staying at a hotel. It does not matter how comfortable the mattress is. It's just not the same as sleeping in my own bed. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me overcome the lack of deep, refreshing sleep that I can never seem to get at a hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Bring your own pillow, and take a melatonin. Possibly bring a fan to draw out any noise from the hallway.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We bring our own favorite pillows, and leave the TV on a boring program with the sleep timer set for an hour, and the HVAC with the fan set to always be on. For us, that seems to work well.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
We bring our own pillows, make sure the air conditioner is working and have earplugs handy in case the walls are thin.
Good luck! :-)

Old 10-03-2016, 01:08 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I don't know... adults bringing their own pillows (or blankets) for a better rest, seem very childish to me.
On my last trip I saw a guy in his 40's hugging his pillow on the security lane, and I could not stop thinking about his infantile behavior.
I sleep well on any hotel pillow, but if happen that I find them too soft, I just ask management to give me different ones. Most of them have huge selection of pillows for every "taste".
Melatonin tip is great - it works well for me.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know... adults bringing their own pillows (or blankets) for a better rest, seem very childish to me.
Oh, dear. I always bring my own pillow. It is a very soft feather pillow and packs flat, so it doesn't take up much room. Hotel pillows are always too stiff and too lofty for me. Having my familiar pillow there also makes the hotel feel more like home. I wonder what you would think if you knew I also sleep with a teddy bear? Even grownups need comfort objects at times, so I make no apology. I'm 67 going on six.

The other thing Mr. Bay and I do when we travel is to bring along a "noise machine," one of those sound generators that make ocean wave, rainfall, babbling brook or other soothing sounds. We have a full-sized sound generator for home and a battery operated version for travel. The familiar sound of ocean waves also helps me feel more at home and masks any hotel noise.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:58 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Definitely take your own pillow, run a fan, take a sleep aid.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:34 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,923 times
Use a sleep mask if there are no blackout curtains. Also use earplugs and if you do not have a noise machine, if the room has an alarm clock turn the station to static and crank it up to block sound.

Quote:
adults bringing their own pillows (or blankets) for a better rest, seem very childish to me.
It wouldn't if you knew what was on some of those pillows or blankets, especially blankets and coverlets as they are laundered less frequently than bed sheets, even at nicer hotels. When inability to sleep is psychological wondering what lurks in sheets slept on by hundreds of others that may or may not have been laundered prior to you sleeping on them doesn't help.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I'm prone to neck pain if my pillow isn't just so, whether at home or on the road. No one pries my Therm-a-rest travel pillow away from me when I'm on a trip. The small one keeps my spine happy for sleeping both on planes and in hotel rooms, and it really does compress as small as the company claims. I've also got an awesome small down travel blanket from Muji (sadly not sold in the USA anymore) that's nylon on one side, flannel on the other, and has snaps along the edges so I can use it on a plane, wear it as a cape or skirt, or sit on it in a park and nor worry about grass stains on my pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_is2UuXIs0

Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
I have a white noise app on my phone that I use. It has many sounds to choose from, including a fan which I am used to sleeping with at home. Works great!

This is the one I use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ise.lite&hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel