Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times

Advertisements

Charleston, SC and Asheville, NC. The people in those cities are really friendly and kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
cuba
Was wondering if anyone else was going to post this.

People in Havana have to be the nicest people I've ever met. I can't tell you how many times we were invited into people's homes for coffee, dinner, or just a chat, and they're very forgiving of my mediocre spanish skills.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
NYC, believe it or not...

Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
NYC, believe it or not...
I totally believe it. My experiences with New Yorkers have been very positive overall.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:34 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Friendliest place I can remember traveling was Ketchikan, Alaska. Once the locals found out we were staying in town a few days, we were treated exceptionally well. People bought us drinks. Gave us free food. Wife got the locals discount at a book store, even. During the day, the place can overrun with the cruise ship masses, and if are one of those many, I'm sure you would have a different impression. But, stay after the boats pull away in the late afternoon, and it was so hospitable.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 47,122 times
Friendliest - Toronto, South Korea, Omaha.

Unfriendliest - China, Japan, Seattle, Southern California.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Friendliest
Philippines
Thailand
El Salvador
United States

Least Friendly
Korea
Japan
China
Japan? Maybe the citizens might be unfriendly but the customer service is still world class.

Quote:
Japan has become world-famous for its incredibly polished customer service, which isn’t something you’ll find only at premium-priced hotels and leisure resorts. Just about any shop or restaurant you go to in Japan, right down to convenience stores and fast food joints, will be staffed by courteous clerks and servers.

To explain this phenomenon, sociologists often point to the importance of respect and humility that are so deeply ingrained in Japanese culture.
https://soranews24.com/2017/06/19/wh...and-youre-out/

Korea. Meh, same as Japan.

China. Yeah all of China is rude as hell, customer service and citizens. They just don’t give a damn. Many places in their country are not even tourist friendly for English speakers (there were hardly any English signs in or around one of their Shanghai airports)

Thailand? Well they’re accustomed to torurists, so yeah, they’re pretty friendly.

United States as a friendly country is insanely laughable. Go to any major city and you’ll see how “friendly” it is with road rage and traffic, superficial body image, lack of common courtesy in public places, and horrible customer service.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:56 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Japan? Maybe the citizens might be unfriendly but the customer service is still world class.

https://soranews24.com/2017/06/19/wh...and-youre-out/

Korea. Meh, same as Japan.

China. Yeah all of China is rude as hell, customer service and citizens. They just don’t give a damn. Many places in their country are not even tourist friendly for English speakers (there were hardly any English signs in or around one of their Shanghai airports)

Thailand? Well they’re accustomed to torurists, so yeah, they’re pretty friendly.

United States as a friendly country is insanely laughable. Go to any major city and you’ll see how “friendly” it is with road rage and traffic, superficial body image, lack of common courtesy in public places, and horrible customer service.
That has not been our experience at all in China and we have been there six times. We cannot expect that everywhere in the world is English friendly, especially when the majority of tourists are not English speaking. We found that people were very helpful and would whip out their phones with the translation apps to try to help us. Locals almost dragged me up the Great Wall when DH raced off to take photos and left me struggling.

The friendliest people we have encountered were in Turkey and in Zimbabwe. The most unfriendly would have been in parts of South America.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:16 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I usually have good experiences wherever I go. I was surprised how friendly people were in the Virgin Islands, but then it is to their advantage to be so.

Worst experience was Hawaii. We went to Big Island. It was obvious the locals did not want us there. The touristy places were more friendly.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Least friendly places:
Hawaii
Montreal
I have met both some of the absolute most friendly and some of the most totally UNfriendly people in Hawaii...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel