Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

The US has just announced it is to ground all Boeing 737 Max, whilst many other countries have already done so. So you don't have to be as concerned, although you can still ask.

US to ground all Boeing crash aircraft - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US has just announced it is to ground all Boeing 737 Max, whilst many other countries have already done so. So you don't have to be as concerned, although you can still ask.

US to ground all Boeing crash aircraft - BBC News

At last...
What a lemon!

People were already freaking out
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-find-o...ign=2019-03-13

Old 03-13-2019, 02:55 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I have the airline web site and SeatGuru up any time I'm booking a flight. Not only do I know the equipment, I also know the seat I'll be sitting in. If my only option is awful seats, I won't purchase the flight.

Of course, Southwest is the exception. I fling the $15 at them so I at least get an aisle seat. I'm not aware that there is any way to tell which variety of 737 I'll be flying. Southwest changes equipment on the fly to match seat demand on the route. If they need a big new high seating capacity 737 on some other flight, they'll move dinosaur equipment onto my route if it's not very full.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:11 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I take whatever plane is going to where I want to go. Flying is something to be endured. It's not like some of the planes are more fun than a tropical vacation, if you can only get the right one.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,458,844 times
No, usually I will know from the ticket purchase. In my heavy business travel days, I did have an occasion where I purposefully checked. I had had a terrible experience on an MD 80 on a trip that was usually a there and back type route. We were delayed on runway tarmac due to mechanical issues. After the mechanic wound his way back up the aisle with duct tape I made a mental note and checked the serial number on door on departure.

When it came time for return trip I checked upon boarding whether it was the same plane. Thankfully it was not as the other had been taken for service maintenance.

MD 80s were my least favorite especially if I got stuck in last few rows by the engines and the lavs. Worst flight ever was mid summer mid-90s on long trip Chi to SD and got stuck in last row with all those summer tourists with families. Hot, sticky smelly - the people lined up during the flight to use the lav would be right next to me for most of the flight time. Lots of overweight people brushing up against me in the aisle seat. It was horrendous and disgusting as each time a new person cycled into the lav you'd get a 'whiff' of the last 'depositor'.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm not aware that there is any way to tell which variety of 737 I'll be flying. Southwest changes equipment on the fly to match seat demand on the route. If they need a big new high seating capacity 737 on some other flight, they'll move dinosaur equipment onto my route if it's not very full.
Not true, if you look on the Southwest website when you're booking your tickets - click on the link showing the flight numbers. The equipment is listed there.

With the MAX grounding, I went on and double checked my flights for next week and I'm on the -700 and the -800, so I didn't need to change.

I don't book flights on third party sites, I believe every airline shows what equipment you'll be on.

They don't "move equipment on the fly"...that's just poor business practices. Obviously maintenance items are the exception, but no airline is just booking flights without knowing the precise plane that will be at the gate.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
seatguru has always been our friend, for various reasons.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Not since the DC-10 crash. I avoided engine in the tail planes like 727, DC10, 1011, none of which still fly. BOAC Comet whose wings fell off, Electra Turboprop which crashed. I prefer the Airbus A320 that JetBlue Flies plus the regional jets are fine.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I choose a flight based on the timing (business) or price (personal travel). I usually only have one option, so no, what type of airplane it is does not enter into consideration.

However m son if flying home today from a visit to Texas. I was going to check whether he was on the problem plane, but when they grounded them, I do not have to.

Flying is horrible miserable uncomfortable experience no matter which plane/airline you are on. Even the planes that used to be comfortable, and roomy are reconfigured to be as miserable as possible. Unless there is an ocean in the way or a problem with time, I prefer to drive now. so i guess I do care what type of airplane I am on. i try to avoid every type.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:34 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Even before booking, I will know which airplane is there !!! Everything is planned. Time, sufficient gap between connections, baggage allowance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel