Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Do I think you're crazy? Not at all. I think you are gormless and inconsiderate

I quite liked my nephews as children. I never had to deal with them for for more than few minutes at time.

I don't usually like small children, and rarely see them as cute. Children stop being annoying little psychos from about age 12. They are especially un-cute to me when kicking my seat on a plane, running up and down the aisle because they're bored, or babies screaming for ages because the change in air pressure hurts/confuses them.

I do not blame children for behaving like children. I blame their parents who assume every one will think their offspring are the cutest thing ever, and be tolerant and understanding. Some will. Cranky old sods like me will not. A different matter if unavoidable. If a holiday, such travellers may have some shocks coming.
Sod?
Is that the short of “Sodomite”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
Default Cranky and unreasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Do I think you're crazy? Not at all. I think you are gormless and inconsiderate

I quite liked my nephews as children. I never had to deal with them for for more than few minutes at time.

I don't usually like small children, and rarely see them as cute. Children stop being annoying little psychos from about age 12. They are especially un-cute to me when kicking my seat on a plane, running up and down the aisle because they're bored, or babies screaming for ages because the change in air pressure hurts/confuses them.

I do not blame children for behaving like children. I blame their parents who assume every one will think their offspring are the cutest thing ever, and be tolerant and understanding. Some will. Cranky old sods like me will not. A different matter if unavoidable. If a holiday, such travellers may have some shocks coming.
Whilst traveling with children, I DO NOT expect everyone to think my children are cute or be understanding. I do however expect them to act like mature adults and suck it up. I intend to go to Scotland with a 5 year old next year. And while a generally well behaved child 7 hours on a plane is pushing his very small tolerance. But I want to share the world with him in a way that was never shared with me. I do my best to accommodate other people since I am clearly not the center of the universe. But if you just dislike children no amount of preparation on my part will change that.

And people can be considerate of other people but should expect other people to be as considerate of them.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Whilst traveling with children, I DO NOT expect everyone to think my children are cute or be understanding. I do however expect them to act like mature adults and suck it up. I intend to go to Scotland with a 5 year old next year. And while a generally well behaved child 7 hours on a plane is pushing his very small tolerance. But I want to share the world with him in a way that was never shared with me I do my best to accommodate other people since I am clearly not the center of the universe. But if you just dislike children no amount of preparation on my part will change that.

And people can be considerate of other people but should expect other people to be as considerate of them.
How many things and incidences do you remember when you were 5?

Small kids do not remember these “trips to Scotland” when they grow up, and neither can they appreciate or able to put any value and worth on these trips.

No, I am not asking you to not visit Scotland with your 5 year old.
It’s just that IMO, your intentions are based on unstable assumptions.

I took my kids to Switzerland, Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Alcatraz, Disney World, Istanbul etc.
They are now in their teens and hardly remember anything - or perhaps they just lie to me as they complain and say, you took us there while we were 6 and 7, and we don’t remember anything. So you better take us again.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Small kids do not remember these “trips to Scotland” when they grow up, and neither can they appreciate or able to put any value and worth on these trips.

I took my kids to Switzerland, Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Alcatraz, Disney World, Istanbul etc.
They are now in their teens and hardly remember anything - or perhaps they just lie to me as they complain and say, you took us there while we were 6 and 7, and we don’t remember anything. So you better take us again.
Just because your kids don't remember anything from their travels doesn't mean that other kids don't remember their travels. Seems to me your objections are based on unstable assumptions. My sister traveled extensively under the age of 5 and has very vivid memories. She actually has more memories from under 5 than I do, and I was not nearly as well traveled at a young age.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Dunno how long these memories will last but we took him to Disney in 2017, he was 3. He regularly tells me about it and when he watches Disney movies he tells me about it. He constantly reinforces the memory by "remembering" it often. And we went to Niagara Falls earlier that year, he doesn't remember as much of that but he remembers a little bit. And just because you don't see the value of the experience doesn't mean it doesn't affect the person the child will become

Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Whilst traveling with children, I DO NOT expect everyone to think my children are cute or be understanding. I do however expect them to act like mature adults and suck it up. I intend to go to Scotland with a 5 year old next year. And while a generally well behaved child 7 hours on a plane is pushing his very small tolerance. But I want to share the world with him in a way that was never shared with me. I do my best to accommodate other people since I am clearly not the center of the universe. But if you just dislike children no amount of preparation on my part will change that.

Why should other people 'suck it up?'

No. Control your kids or don't bring them.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
^and even if they don't remember it when they're teenagers/adults doesn't mean it wasn't a worthwhile experience that they enjoyed and may have learned/developed from. Do you not take your babies to any activities during their first several years of life just cause they may not remember them?? smh

Look, i get it if the concern is cost/inconvenience/etc not being worth the reward. Sure. For some families it is, for some families it isn't. For some kids it is, for some kids it isn't.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Whilst traveling with children, I DO NOT expect everyone to think my children are cute or be understanding. I do however expect them to act like mature adults and suck it up. ...

Now to get that 'level of responsibility / expectation' transferred to pet owners...

Waiting for the first aircraft emergency evacuation with (8) Emotional Support Animals... not trained, not licensed, not obedient.

"Sorry folks, stay seated while we wait for Animal Control to arrive on the scene, don't mind the smoke and fire, it is a temporary inconvenience."

Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why should other people 'suck it up?'

No. Control your kids or don't bring them.
my suck it up is directed toward people who say "I don't like children." Sorry children are a part of society. Even the most well behaved child has a breaking point and you cant reasonably expect children to not leave the house until they are of an age where they have complete self control. That isn't a reasonable expectation. I do expect my child to behave in public. I enforce rules that ensure that to the best of his ability he does behave in public. He is not permitted to talk above a quiet whisper on an airplane for example. But airplanes are COMPLETELY SILENT for the most part and expecting a child of any age to make no noise for hours is unreasonable, talking quietly is reasonable. But if a person wants to have a childless world around them, that isn't going to happen.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
my suck it up is directed toward people who say "I don't like children." Sorry children are a part of society. Even the most well behaved child has a breaking point and you cant reasonably expect children to not leave the house until they are of an age where they have complete self control. That isn't a reasonable expectation. I do expect my child to behave in public. I enforce rules that ensure that to the best of his ability he does behave in public. He is not permitted to talk above a quiet whisper on an airplane for example. But airplanes are COMPLETELY SILENT for the most part and expecting a child of any age to make no noise for hours is unreasonable, talking quietly is reasonable. But if a person wants to have a childless world around them, that isn't going to happen.
Yes but if the child does not NEED to come on the trip, why bring them? It's an inconvenience to everyone else who paid a lot of money to be on the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel