Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 01:36 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,901,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
Boston. Visited many times but don't see the appeal.
One of Boston's appeals is that it IS really walkable. Last summer we took the Amtrak right into North Station (which is right on the peninsula). Then walked to our hotel (there are a number of really good ones right on the peninsula). So we didn't need a taxi or car. We also walked to the science center and aquarium, again right on the peninsula (or in the case of the science center, two minutes away from it.......it's literally on the bridge leading to and from the peninsula). Plus there are tons of historical sites to see on the peninsula (the Freedom Trail leads you to them). Boston Common is a nice park right there in the heart of it all. (These are all within a small area).
There is a lot that I DON'T like about Boston but it does have walkability going for it. You can't say that about a lot of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
One of Boston's appeals is that it IS really walkable. Last summer we took the Amtrak right into North Station (which is right on the peninsula). Then walked to our hotel (there are a number of really good ones right on the peninsula). So we didn't need a taxi or car. We also walked to the science center and aquarium, again right on the peninsula (or in the case of the science center, two minutes away from it.......it's literally on the bridge leading to and from the peninsula). Plus there are tons of historical sites to see on the peninsula (the Freedom Trail leads you to them). Boston Common is a nice park right there in the heart of it all. (These are all within a small area).
There is a lot that I DON'T like about Boston but it does have walkability going for it. You can't say that about a lot of cities.
I love Boston.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
?? Huh? There's a ton of things to do. Historical monuments (free or low cost), museums & art galleries (free on certain days), Broadway shows (reduced price tickets available daily), free seminars and talks, boat trips down the Hudson River, TV show tapings, various zoos and botanical gardens, etc.
Add the Met, Lincoln Center performances, High Line, great markets, cosy benches to sit in the parks, unique and interesting restaurants, bakeries, great shopping, all kinds of bars and music, ethnic neighborhoods, free ferry to Staten Island, city tours, pleasant walking and so much more...

Old 06-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Boston is so ... cosy, so many great beautiful places and sites to see, Boston Common, North End, Huntington Ave, a water taxi, MFA, children’s museum, science museum, Symphony, different very distinctive neighborhoods, and Fenway!! TD Garden! Did I mention Fenway?
Cambridge is great and fun to visit as well..

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Agree 10000000%.

I have to go to NYC periodically for work travel. I try never to stay more than 48 hours.

When I was in high school my dream in life was to visit NYC. I was sure I'd love it and want to move there as soon as I could. I absolutely loathed it. I still do. I understand that others love it, it's a great city whatever. It's just nowhere I ever want to spend time.
Where do you stay while in the city? Maybe it has something to do with your impressions?
Try newer places if you don’t mind smaller rooms like Citizen M, for example-good location, gorgeous views from the top bar and fantastic, though smallish gym- views !!!
Unless you prefer the standard Hiltons and Marriotts- they are all in great locations.
I feel sorry that you did not “ connect†with the city.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Easter Island. I thought the statues are bigger and more numerous. Turn out only 2 places in the island with good number of statues.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Went to Philly, never seen so many short, fat people in my life. Stunned by amount of people smoking also. Place was underwhelming even in the 4-5 star areas. Newspaper headlines: 15 shot over the weekend, have we become desensitized to violence?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:49 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Bahamas- the big islands are essentially ghettos with accents. Trash everywhere, beautiful water/some beaches and the rest is poverty.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't like New York City. It's filthy dirty, odoriferous, loud, dangerous, and both times I was there it was hotter than Hades and humid.

Unless you have a lot of money, there really isn't much to do there. There are other really tall buildings elsewhere to look at and be amazed. You don't have to go to NYC to see tall buildings.

In contrast to the city's reputation, I found the locals to be quite friendly, which was a surprise.
I work in the city (which is what we call Manhattan) but live within NYC, which includes the other boroughs as well. I would never want to live in the city because I don't like the sheer number of people---other boroughs may have a larger population but the city population balloons with all of the workers, tourists, etc. in the city. I also can't stand the traffic on the streets.

Dangerous---I don't think so. But NYC has all kinds of free or low cost things to do regularly.

Many tourists go to the same places so they're all going to the same super crowded areas.

When I go to work, I notice how many places are cleaning outside of their buildings everyday. It really depends on what area you are in as to what your experience will be. Would I recommend going to Chinatown on a hot, summer day after stores have dumped their garbage? Not unless you want odoriferous!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:16 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I don't like many of the standard tourist destinations. If I never go back to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, I won't be dissatisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel