Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,571 times

Advertisements

I've taken several trips on the "grey dog", including from Red Bluff CA to Portland OR and back a couple of times. Can't remember for sure, but I think its about 14 hours one way.

Rode the dog from Frisco CO to Red Bluff a few years ago. The westbound bus was four hours late getting into Frisco due to weather over the Rockies. Trouble is, there was no way for the driver to communicate "downstream". So the whole system gets backed up-awaiting late buses and passengers. Couldn't believe the drivers didn't have radios or cell phones for that matter. Anyhow, spent about about 26 hours on that trip-including a three hour lay over in Sacramento. Anyway, despite the delay, all in all, it was an OK experience for me. Not sure I'd coem to that conclusion if I were a female.

Quite interesting folks on the bus. Some with much better personal hygiene than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM

32 posts, read 123,498 times
ive sat in the back and this guy kept calling me names and such becuse i refused to sit on th einside with him drinking!! stupid person but other th ant that i liike greyhound now i sit towards teh front of the bus and it makes for a more better ride and u can see the signs if u sitg on the righit hand side.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 AM

32 posts, read 123,498 times
i always sit toward teh front on them things lol i never had nothing stolen on a bus bf thats a first but i guess it happens

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
A 2 1/2 hour ride is nothing to worry about. If your going across the country its a different matter, I prefer driving or flying.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,020 times
I took the bus once from Texas to Pennsylvania. It really wasn't a bad trip. I met some interesting people, never got anything stolen, and it felt refreshing to sit back, relax and let someone else do the driving. (that sounded like a commercial) Nowadays though, I just fly. But just the other day I was thinking, it would be nice to take the bus somewhere.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
I enjoyed occasionally taking the bus until that guy flipped out in Canada and beheaded someone. I still take it on occasion, and while I realise that sort of thing can happen anywhere, it creeps me out to ride on one.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I enjoyed occasionally taking the bus until that guy flipped out in Canada and beheaded someone. I still take it on occasion, and while I realise that sort of thing can happen anywhere, it creeps me out to ride on one.
Yeah, that story weirded me out as well. Better sleep w/one eye open

Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I have to say that I hated my whole two trips on a bus.

What should have been a 4 hour car ride was 16+ hours. I never feared for my things or my life but it just took so darn long.

If they could guarentee me that it was only a couple of hours, I'd probably ride it.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I've taken the Greyhound alot, but here in Australia, so I don't know what it's like over there. Was fine for what it was, although I can't sleep sitting up. You just listen to your ipod, or watch the scenery, or maybe the DVD they have on. Sometimes it's nice just to have nothing to do.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,896 times
Unless you are a masochist with very little money, do NOT take Greyhound! It is dirty, noisy, takes a long time, you have to transer your own bags from one bus to another, if the heat goes out (good luck staying warm), and just a very bad way to travel! They even offered me a free RT ticket and I never used it. If I can't fly, drive, or take Amtrack, I'm not going! Greyhound sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel