Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:32 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times

Advertisements

How do you like riding the Greyhound Bus? I am gonna be riding on one from Pasco, WA to Spokane, WA in a couple months and this is gonna the first time I've had ever ridden on a Greyhound Bus, it's a 2 and a half hour drive with no stops in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
That's doable. The only Greyhound I did was from Boise to Billings some 25 years ago, and I still remember that it took 21 hours.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
I travelled on one from Toronto to NYC. A 9-10 trip took 15 hours because of Customs where you feel like cattle and than 1/2 before we arrived in New York one of the tires blew and they didn't bother getting roadside assistance so my first time in NYC i was sick to my stomach because the bus was seriously bouncing. I hope they got a better and new bus for the route.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 PM

39 posts, read 285,118 times
I've taken Greyhound buses between Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, New York, and a few other surrounding cities. I've always enjoyed it--not as much as the train, mind you--but yes, it has always be an enjoyable experience. The good thing is that you don't have to worry about traffic, you can just sit back and relax, and you're not tied to your car when you get where you're going, but if it's a smaller place you're going to, then the disadvantage...is that you don't have a car when you get there.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I took Greyhound from Sunnyside to Seattle awhile back, to pick up a recovered car of mine, it was really OK. I think the Spokane route has quite a few students on it usually so you should feel relatively at home.

Being the cheapest transport going, you do get some down and outers traveling on Greyhound, but when I didn't bother them, they didn't bother me.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
My wife took a Greyhound from central Minnesota to Pensacola FLA a few years back ( roundtrip)

First off, she had tickets on an Express bus that would leave at 10 at night ( eastbound)

The bus stop was at a McDonalds and we saw only west bound busses.
At about 11, we asked the McDonalds workers if they knew "what was up" and they didn't.

The west bound bus pulled in so I asked him. He stated there would be no eastbound bus til the next night cuz hers was broke down in North Dakota

He signed something and told us she should get on a bus on a different hwy heading east at 8 the next morning.

He stated her ticket would get sraightened out in Minneapolis. ( it wasn't)
She met some nice people on the bus, but some were nuts !
One young man sat behind the driver and harrassed him til the driver ordered him to get off and pointed to the side of his head giving the "crazy sign"

Another older man talked non stop about UFO's. He said he was released from an area mental hospital and was going to Michigan to visit his sister.

On the return trip, a very young woman with a 2 month old baby, had left her boyfriend in Florida and going home to her folks in Idaho.( all the way on a bus )

My wife and a few other women took turns helping her with the baby.

At Chicago, the young woman said a "nice man" had suggested her,him, and the baby get a motel room for a couple of nights to "unwind" ( the other women explained that wasn't a good idea) She asked--"why not" ?

To sum it up, yes, my wife met many "characters" but got so sick of McDonalds food as that seemed to be the only short stops they made.

A year later she took the same trip on Amtrak.
The year after that,she drove alone to Pensacola and back.

I would still like to take a bus trip and meet some of those--"characters"

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM

25 posts, read 31,896 times
DO NOT TAKE GREYHOUND. i took them one time from Cleveland to Dallas and i woke up in Louisana with no shoes and my wallet and hat was gone. theere are alot of thieves on them things

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 25,697 times
Default Leave the driving to us

You're a brave soul. My experiences with bus travel range from the barely tolerable to a script for a low budget horror movie. I once had a seat mate who was nursing a pint out of a brown paper bag. He shoved it in front of me & offered me " a blast "as he put it. This offer was complemented with the aroma of burritos and fries from the seats behind me. I think I threw up for a month.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Alone View Post
DO NOT TAKE GREYHOUND. i took them one time from Cleveland to Dallas and i woke up in Louisana with no shoes and my wallet and hat was gone. theere are alot of thieves on them things
man - you need to become a lighter sleeper when you take the bus haha- sounds like you could detonate a nuclear bomb next to you and you'd still be sawing logs. Mind you if you ended up in Nola that wouldn't be too bad - cry in some beer and listen to the blues haha. Anyway better travels in the future for you!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Seems like you'll be fine. Just bring something to do and temp control- as in you may get chills or be hot so prepare for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel