Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times

Advertisements

7 Ways to Annoy a Flight Attendant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
My very existence?

Sure seems like it sometimes.

Then again I don't think I've done any of that stuff on an airplane EVER nor would I.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
i've read this one already - this chick was super annoying

first is the fallacy they wouldn't get compensated for a work related injury

the second is caring how much we care about the fares we pay, it's not consequential to their job - especially since many get the benefit of not having to pay them or paying a greatly reduced fare

Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I've read enough flight attendant books to have a pretty good idea of what they think of the traveling public. Well, fine, I ain't so fond of them either, but what I think hardly matters, because there is nothing I can do to change it and if I even seem to get mad, I might end up in trouble that's far more trouble than it's worth. They have all power and I have none, since my only recourse is to refuse to fly on that airline in the future, which affects them exactly zero because they couldn't care less whether I do or not. So I just endure the situation, ask nothing and expect nothing, bring my own food and beverages when I can, and get from point A to point B as inconspicuously as I can. Unless it's intercontinental, it's only a few hours of jail and the guards aren't wielding nightsticks, so I can do my own time like a model prisoner. As in the lockup, what I think of it is irrelevant; it just is and I deal with it.

I do sympathize with some of the more preposterous and peremptory demands idiots make, like diaper changes and more liquor than they should have (the very last thing I would do on a modern airplane is drink alcohol even if it were free). And if someone grabs their buns on the way by, I'll gladly hold the lech while she busts him in the mouth. But the whole idea of flying as fun is long gone. Its only benefit is speed; a Greyhound is more comfortable and relaxing, comes down to that.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Hah
I love their solution for #2:
"We couldn't identify the bag's owner, so we sent it to cargo."
I *have* seen a few people stow their carry-on wherever their little heart desires (especially as soon as they board) and it does irk me.
I'm not totally inflexible about overhead carryons, but some people take too much advantage.

Flight attendants put up with a lot. On a recent overseas flight, two guys in front of us, one of them who boarded in an intoxicated state and than drank more, began shouting and putting up their fists. Their wives and a FA settled it down. (I slept through the entire thing, my husband did not.)

Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I have to agree with everything she says and more. Air travel is the new Greyhound. People are outrageous in their demands on flight crews and thier lack of common courtesy for fellow passengers.

And I especially agree with stowing your own carryon. What the heck are people carting onboard in those things to make them so heavy? Mine weighs 17 pounds fully packed for a week's travel. And no, I won't help anyone with their bag or kid either. I will hold your cup of coffee while you put your own bag up though. (Not a flight attendent, no way I'd deal with the crap that they deal with on a daily basis.)

Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
1.) I generally don't pay attention and question the validity of those little quips of "10 things..." on an internet site. I am still laughing about the innacurracies of the last "10 thing.." listing that was posted here a couple weeks ago on how to get a first class upgrade. It was so laughingly incorrect as to be almost fraudulent.

2.) That being said, i'm suprised other things weren't listed such as demanding service, getting up when seat belt light is on, etc. Pet on plane? come on, how often does that happen. High cost of flying? I have yet to hear one person on a plane complain - at least not to a flight attendant (I'm a frequent flyer).

3.) Flight attendants put up with alot, no doubt. But I have also seen flight attendants grow surely in the last couple years. You have some excellent flight attendants, I have also seen some that are just always grouchy, that hide in the little cubicle in the front reading a magazine the whole flight (I frequently fly FC), and that generally look like they hate their job. And 9/11 - everyone realizes the concerns, but that doesn't give the flight attendant a reason to use that as an excuse to think that customer service is now secondary. I am not looking for a 100 pound flight attendant to protect me if a flight gets hijacked.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Don't get me started on flight attendants...Too late...I have to deal with them everyday.

Once when I was riding on different airline, there were 15 off duty flight attendants also riding. They were allowed to board first. Everyone had two oversized rollerboard suitcases plus an overnight bag. The rollerboards would only fit lenghtways. When the other 125 passengers were allowed to board, half of the overhead bin space was already gone. The last 40 passengers had to gate check their carry on bags.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I'm sorry. I bring a tiny carry-on, I sit quietly, I never ring the bell, and all I have noticed is that the flight attendants are getting ruder and ruder.

You think you're overworked and harried? Try my job. And I still work hard to smile and be polite.

They only place they've been consistently nice is in first class.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm sorry. I bring a tiny carry-on, I sit quietly, I never ring the bell, and all I have noticed is that the flight attendants are getting ruder and ruder.

You think you're overworked and harried? Try my job. And I still work hard to smile and be polite.
There's the tragedy. I'm one of those people who normally makes grocery checkers and waitresses laugh, who acknowledges them as people rather than bots or emotional punching bags. If air travel sucked less, I'd try to uplift the days of flight attendants too. But I'm just not feeling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel