Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,691,058 times

Advertisements

New Orleans. Crowded, touristy, overpriced, and not particularly historic. For the amount of money my boyfriend and I spent, we could have easily gone to Paris and spent our vacation in a real French quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,552,839 times
When we were stationed in Idaho, we bought one of those "Off the Beaten Path" travel guides for ID. So, one Saturday, we headed out for Balanced Rock. It's west of Twin Falls. After a two-hour drive, we pulled up to see what looked like a big boulder someone had carved out of a bigger boulder. To top it off, the thing was graffiti-laden and there's not a darn thing else to see for many miles. (At least Plymoth Rock has a beach going for it...)

Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,390 times
I never really got into the Outer Banks. The beaches were okay but whenever I went it was also so hot and humid. There wasn't much to do there and it was always so difficult to get there. We always stayed in Corolla and I was never really disappointed when my family decided to stop going. I am a huge beach person and never really loved it there. I can't really pin point what turned me off.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM

846 posts, read 2,835,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
New Orleans. Crowded, touristy, overpriced, and not particularly historic. For the amount of money my boyfriend and I spent, we could have easily gone to Paris and spent our vacation in a real French quarter.

You are very naive if you think Paris is not also extremely crowded, touristy, and overpriced.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,691,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
[/i]

You are very naive if you think Paris is not also extremely crowded, touristy, and overpriced.
I addition to visiting Paris numerous times, I also lived there for several months. So I know what I am talking about. Paris is definitely much more reasonably priced and less of a tourist trap than New Orleans -- no question about it. Besides, you've missed the whole point of my post. New Orleans' major "selling point" is that it's got the French Quarter, with its "French flavor". Obviously, the best place to have a "French flavor" is, well, France. So the cost being equal, choosing between France and a place that has a few city blocks that sorta look like a France-looking amusement park for adults should be a no-brainer.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,380,609 times
Just didn't like Isla Mujeres. It was just a day trip, but we evidently went on the wrong day. There had been a heavy rain the previous day, and like many of the islands, there was no drainage. It was muddy and very few businesess were open.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,552,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
[/i]

That was my first impression of Paris. subsequent visits taught me that it's a large but very interesting (yes, expensive. But so is the rest of Central Europe) city.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked60 View Post
Munich, Germany - The people were rude, everything was over priced and my overall impression of the city was that it was just gray. The buildings were gray and the city was dirty. We were supposed to stay two day's, left after one day and went to the next city on our itinerary.
Munich, forgot about that. Didn't ever see one person, ever, smile just once anywhere in the city at any time the couple of days I was there. Well one exception. There was a nice old guy about 80 years old that asked if I was an American and he helped me out with the subway machine. Nice guy, didn't speak much English but seemed to like Americans.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Who says you have to pay $15 for breakfast, $30 for lunch?

There's three 24-hour McDonald's, one near the MGM, on the Strip, and another near Circus Circus with Dollar Menu's and another across from Mandalay Bay. Lots of other fast food choices along the Strip.
Just speaking for myself, but generally when heading out on vacation, having to eat Macca's everyday isn't what one travels for. I can drive 4 minutes into town and do that without heading to Vegas and wasting money on airfare and other costs.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM

216 posts, read 668,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Just didn't like Isla Mujeres. It was just a day trip, but we evidently went on the wrong day. There had been a heavy rain the previous day, and like many of the islands, there was no drainage. It was muddy and very few businesess were open.
I completely agree! We took a 1 day excursion there and were really disappointed with the place. It didn't rain when we visited, but the the place looked like a disheveled dump and not in a charming way.

In my travels, I've also been disappointed with Negril, Jamaica and Charlotte, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel