Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times

Advertisements

Yes- both.

My grandfather's nephew was murdered while leaving a union meeting the same night he learned that his wife was expecting their first child. They'd been trying for 10 years and had given up hope. This was in the mid 60s.

He was shot in the parking lot after the meeting where he'd spoken up about some fraud going on by fellow union members. This was Chicago. Despite the crowded parking lot there were 'no witnesses'. When my cousin was in her late 20s, she attempted to look up the records from the case but found there was none. His death certificate says 'accidental death' - not homicide or gunshot wound. When she pushed the clerk at the records office, she says she got a call later that night telling her to 'let sleeping dogs lie, or join them in the cemetery'.

My best friend's youngest brother used to hang out on the fringes with some pretty rough thugs. Her mom kept telling her she was making too big of a deal out of it and she should mind her own business. I think he's eligible for parole in 2 years - he was hanging out near these guys and a fight broke out - he picked up a knife one of his 'buddies' dropped and jumped on the back of one of the guys hitting his 'friends'. He 'forgot' he was holding the knife when he went to punch the guy in the back of the head and stabbed him through the skull instead.

My MIL killed a man while driving down a dark country road. Her blood alchol was .081. She was convicted of vehicular manslaughter but only served 9 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,880 times
Don't know anyone who was murdered but I do know a few who committed suicide. A friend was going through a violent breakup and we were all afraid her husband would murder her but he ended up taking a bottle of pills instead.

My old roommate lived next door to a young woman who was murdered by another neighboor. She was a waitress at a nice restaurant and the fool neighboor thought she had a lot of money so he raped her and then strangled her with the cord to his lamp. They found out about him, found the cordless lamp, and the rest is history, so sad!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Do you personally know anyone who's been murdered or murdered someone?

Yes.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
No murders, but plenty of suicides of friends and relatives , among them 2 cousins and an aunt - who called me one week before jumping from her seventh floor apartment - she had been depressive for many years prior to her suicide, so I was used from her calling me at odd times and blathering some insanity on the phone, so I didnt give it a thought, believed it was business as usual - unfortunately not, it was a cry for help actually. Too late.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Yes, a friend of my parents was knifed to death in her apartment during a home invasion burglary. The bass turds got away with it too. Her husband came home to see his wife on the floor in the bedroom with the knife sticking out of her side.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Trusting your gut instinct

It was around 1978 or 1979. Anyway, I was working 3 jobs and one of them was as a bookeeper for an ice cream shop in a nice shopping center. One weekend, the head person asked if I could just come to her home to finish the work up. I said sure.

During the time I was there, this guy Chris came in-I think he was in his 30's, good looking but I felt the weirdest feeling like I had to get out of there fast. He also wasn't being very nice to the dog but the woman there knew him well and was joking around with him.

Even though I needed the money, I never went back after that.

1984: I see an article about this serial killer - Chris Wilder - SAME GUY!!

Then, today, they just tied him to another murder that happened in 1984. (The police shot him back in 1984).

So, that's why this came to mind.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
A son of a friend of my mother's who I had seen occasionally growing up; he was in his teens and I was about 7 years younger. He became schizophrenic and addicted to drugs. He was stabbed to death by his "best friend," who was also a drug addict.

A friend of mine in college had a sister who committed suicide. A few kids that I went to high school with tried to kill themselves: I visited one while he was still confined at a state mental facility, another complained to me after slicing his wrists that he had difficulty afterwards playing his guitar, the other was a friend of friends that I occassionally hung out with.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
My childhood babysitter was shot and killed in a drug deal gone wrong, I was a teenager by then but he was still a neighbor who I talked to almost everyday.

An old boss of mine, her ex-husband killed his wife and himself after he told the 3 kids to go sit in the car in the garage and not come back inside.. The older one did of course and unfortunatly found his/her Mom and Dad dead.. What a ****ty thing for a kid to have to see.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM

297 posts, read 743,489 times
Oh, I forgot. A high school classmate (had his locker next to mine all through jr high and high school) killed some people in another state, and then killed his mother. This was probably 7 or so years after we graduated.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Yes- both.

My grandfather's nephew was murdered while leaving a union meeting the same night he learned that his wife was expecting their first child. They'd been trying for 10 years and had given up hope. This was in the mid 60s.

He was shot in the parking lot after the meeting where he'd spoken up about some fraud going on by fellow union members. This was Chicago. Despite the crowded parking lot there were 'no witnesses'. When my cousin was in her late 20s, she attempted to look up the records from the case but found there was none. His death certificate says 'accidental death' - not homicide or gunshot wound. When she pushed the clerk at the records office, she says she got a call later that night telling her to 'let sleeping dogs lie, or join them in the cemetery'.

holy cow! that is frightening! no witnesses, huh? funny what you forget with a few good threats. man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime