Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 03:32 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If it can't be proven 100%, he shouldn't be found guilty, is the thing. That's our court standard - beyond a reasonable doubt.

I VERY much hope he gets a new trial, because I want to hear the real truth, whatever it is. What was paraded out in front of the jurors the first time was NOT the whole truth.

They need to admit the two burglars were out in front of Laci's house during the time frame she went missing, and explain why the Daughter in Law of the man in the tan van had a watch identical to Laci's missing heirloom watch. I don't need to hear days and days of his phone conversations with Amber. That's not pertinent, once you learn he's having an extramarital affair. We get it. He was having an affair, and keeping it on the down low.

I don't know whether he's guilty or not - but the US justice system can do better than that circus trial he got before.
You are correct, a person shouldn't be found guilty if it can't be proven yet people are convicted on circumstantial evidence all the time. That's how I viewed this one. Circumstantial only. That's why I didn't feel he should receive the DP. There are several people in prison for crimes they didn't commit which is why I say that unless you are 100% sure they did the crime, you cannot ... must not ... put them to death.

The judge will decide if he gets a new trial but I know that the Rocha family doesn't really want to go through that again as I stated in my previous comment. I do agree 100% that the entire thing was a circus. I also think that jurors don't consider how important their role as a juror is nowadays. It seems to be all about media attention and notoriety. Being able to say, "I was a juror on so an so's trial," and looking for a book deal.

In the case of Peterson, my gut tells me he did it, judging by his behavior from the time he first reported her missing to him being arrested in Southern California. I was also privy to more inside information than the general public, having worked in the court system where he resided. People talk a lot in that industry but you have to tread lightly because not all of what you know is related to the case and you don't want a mistrial. That would be very bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 10:13 AM

2,520 posts, read 2,075,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You are correct, a person shouldn't be found guilty if it can't be proven yet people are convicted on circumstantial evidence all the time. That's how I viewed this one. Circumstantial only. That's why I didn't feel he should receive the DP. There are several people in prison for crimes they didn't commit which is why I say that unless you are 100% sure they did the crime, you cannot ... must not ... put them to death.

The judge will decide if he gets a new trial but I know that the Rocha family doesn't really want to go through that again as I stated in my previous comment. I do agree 100% that the entire thing was a circus. I also think that jurors don't consider how important their role as a juror is nowadays. It seems to be all about media attention and notoriety. Being able to say, "I was a juror on so an so's trial," and looking for a book deal.

In the case of Peterson, my gut tells me he did it, judging by his behavior from the time he first reported her missing to him being arrested in Southern California. I was also privy to more inside information than the general public, having worked in the court system where he resided. People talk a lot in that industry but you have to tread lightly because not all of what you know is related to the case and you don't want a mistrial. That would be very bad.
Dang, now I want to know what you know...:

Old 06-04-2021, 04:24 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Done, will never face death penalty.

And he's lasted this long in prison, thinking someone will take him out due to some prison 'honor code' is wishful thinking.

DA won't seek new death sentence against Scott Peterson
Well I don't support the death penalty anyway...and, lethal injection is much too merciful for people like this guy. I for one think it's a much worse sentence to spend the rest of his life in prison, remembering what it was like to be "free" and knowing it will never happen for him. Same for Chris Watts...may he see his precious babies' faces every night when he tries to sleep...

Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
If it can't be proven 100%, he shouldn't be found guilty, is the thing. That's our court standard - beyond a reasonable doubt.

I VERY much hope he gets a new trial, because I want to hear the real truth, whatever it is. What was paraded out in front of the jurors the first time was NOT the whole truth.

They need to admit the two burglars were out in front of Laci's house during the time frame she went missing, and explain why the Daughter in Law of the man in the tan van had a watch identical to Laci's missing heirloom watch. I don't need to hear days and days of his phone conversations with Amber. That's not pertinent, once you learn he's having an extramarital affair. We get it. He was having an affair, and keeping it on the down low.

I don't know whether he's guilty or not - but the US justice system can do better than that circus trial he got before.
I also want for him to get another trial and agree that there are things that happened that were not presented to the jury. The burglary, the Aponte tip, the many eye witness sightings of Laci that morning, the information from the mailman.

At this point, I don’t think Scott killed Laci. We’ll see.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I also want for him to get another trial and agree that there are things that happened that were not presented to the jury. The burglary, the Aponte tip, the many eye witness sightings of Laci that morning, the information from the mailman.

At this point, I don’t think Scott killed Laci. We’ll see.
I agree with some of this. Although I personally think Scott Peterson did it. But because of all that you listed, I do think there was enough reasonable doubt for him to be found not-guilty. All the evidence was circumstantial, and there was reasonable doubt IMO.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:42 AM

1,154 posts, read 274,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with some of this. Although I personally think Scott Peterson did it. But because of all that you listed, I do think there was enough reasonable doubt for him to be found not-guilty. All the evidence was circumstantial, and there was reasonable doubt IMO.

I agree also that there was reasonable doubt in this case as the evidence was circumstantial and police never pursued those who claimed to have seen Laci walking Makenzie on Dec, 24 which would have exonerated Scott. It's true Scott was despicable but was he guilty of this crime? IDK.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 AM

214 posts, read 180,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
I agree also that there was reasonable doubt in this case as the evidence was circumstantial and police never pursued those who claimed to have seen Laci walking Makenzie on Dec, 24 which would have exonerated Scott. It's true Scott was despicable but was he guilty of this crime? IDK.
I always wondered why Geragos never called the people to testify that supposedly saw Laci that morning walking?

Old 06-14-2021, 07:55 AM

765 posts, read 622,132 times
Quote:
The main witness, who was a friend of Laci's and was very credible, had been hypnotized for police interrogation and was thus unable to testify in court. Apparently if you are put under hypnosis to recall something, you are no longer available as a court witness.

Her name is Diane Jackson, and she provided other details under hypnosis besides seeing Laci walking her dog that morning.
Putting her under hypnosis was a mistake if she was a credible witness. Any evidence given under hypnosis would be immediately viewed with suspicion.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
Putting her under hypnosis was a mistake if she was a credible witness. Any evidence given under hypnosis would be immediately viewed with suspicion.
I googled it; apparently, the judge allowed her to testify, but only to things she'd said about the sighting before she had been hypnotized.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:36 AM

765 posts, read 622,132 times
Quote:
I googled it; apparently, the judge allowed her to testify, but only to things she'd said about the sighting before she had been hypnotized.
That makes sense. Those things would be on the record and not clouded by the possibility that she'd been lead to reccolect them by whoever was doing the hypnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime