Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
He's as guilty as OJ. Nobody else had any reason to kill Laci except for Scott Peterson.
You do realize that sometimes people kill others for no reason anyone can fathom?

And that's not how the justice system works. You don't find someone guilty because you can't think of anyone else who might have had a motive.

I'd just be interested in seeing the evidence, presented fairly.

Fun fact about the trial: Ron Grantski, Laci's mother's long time companion loudly criticized Scott for fishing on Christmas Eve, saying NO ONE DOES THAT. Especially with the weather, he said. Where was Ron Christmas eve? Fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 01:17 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You do realize that sometimes people kill others for no reason anyone can fathom?

And that's not how the justice system works. You don't find someone guilty because you can't think of anyone else who might have had a motive.

I'd just be interested in seeing the evidence, presented fairly.

Fun fact about the trial: Ron Grantski, Laci's mother's long time companion loudly criticized Scott for fishing on Christmas Eve, saying NO ONE DOES THAT. Especially with the weather, he said. Where was Ron Christmas eve? Fishing.
That is odd.

Did Scott testify in his own defense? If not - then that's one more reason I say he's guility.
It's been so long ago I can't remember.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
That is odd.

Did Scott testify in his own defense? If not - then that's one more reason I say he's guility.
It's been so long ago I can't remember.
His lawyer advised him not to.

And in the court of law, the jury is not allowed to weigh a defendant's use of the 5th amendment against him.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:55 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
What I don’t get is he could have ran much sooner and took off to Mexico. Why is he out golfing?

He definitely killed her though. It’s beyond “coincidence” the bodies just happen to turn up the same place he went fishing
If you mean he was arrested "while" golfing, he wasn't. He'd been staying at his parents' house and planning his departure. If you go back and read what investigators found in his car, you'll see it's a stash of everything a person would need if they plan to be gone for a while. Peterson was a classic example of a sociopath. I do believe he had it in his mind, he could get away with this.

One thing that never sat right with me, though was when the DA in Stanislaus Co (Brazwell) told the media in an interview that this case would be a "slam dunk." When he said that, I cringed. A case like this needs to be investigated with exemplary diligence. I also felt the trial was a circus and Geragos was (and still is) a clown looking for media attention.

Quote:
He's as guilty as OJ. Nobody else had any reason to kill Laci except for Scott Peterson.
I believe that's true. She was a sweet young lady and her family a positive part of the community.

It's really a shame that some people who serve on a jury (in these high profile cases) don't take their role more responsibly. It's imperative to disclose if you have any bias against the defendant, or the charges they're facing. Not doing so opens the door for things like this to happen. I just hope that if he's granted a new trial, the jury will use their critical thinking skills. I also hope that if he's given a new trial and found guilty once again, he won't be sentenced to death. The cost to taxpayers to put someone to death is more than housing them in prison for life. (Not many believe that but it's true).

Old 06-24-2021, 07:11 PM

609 posts, read 263,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I don't think Calif. has executed anyone since 2006. He wouldn't get it anyways. If anyone should get it though, it's him.
I pretty much disagree. He was convicted based only on circumstantial evidence. Also even if he is guilty there are many worse killers out there.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I pretty much disagree. He was convicted based only on circumstantial evidence. Also even if he is guilty there are many worse killers out there.
Really? Worse than killing your wife and your unborn son because you liked your girlfriend better?

He did it, I don't care if it's cirumstantial evidence or not. If he didn't do it, he would have at least testified in the case.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:46 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
His lawyer advised him not to.

And in the court of law, the jury is not allowed to weigh a defendant's use of the 5th amendment against him.
No lawyer in his right mind would have allowed Scott to testify. (although ultimately Scott gets to make the choice).

Scott had lied so many times about so many things that any testimony he would give would simply not be credible.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:18 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No lawyer in his right mind would have allowed Scott to testify. (although ultimately Scott gets to make the choice).

Scott had lied so many times about so many things that any testimony he would give would simply not be credible.
Plus he comes off as a bit arrogant which wouldn't play well with a jury.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:28 AM

724 posts, read 403,058 times
Quote:
Really? Worse than killing your wife and your unborn son because you liked your girlfriend better?

He did it, I don't care if it's cirumstantial evidence or not. If he didn't do it, he would have at least testified in the case.
This is FALSE and FULL of EMOTION.

It's a terrible crime, but you are incredibly naïve to think him not testifying is abnormal and automatically equates to guilt. How many defendants testify in these types of crimes.......LITTLE TO NONE!!!!! Their lawyers won't let them.

You don't care about whether the evidence is circumstantial or not and YOU say he's guilty because that's your instinct right???? That's NOT how the court of law works!!!!!

Look, I think he most likely did it, BUT I do see a lot of reasonable doubt. I also respect the jury and the system so I'm not losing sleep over it.

But I will ignore your proclamation that HE DID IT..... I suspect that, but there's enough reasonable doubt that I (and YOU) can't say that with certainty!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2021, 11:57 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Interesting that the "biased" juror wrote letters to Peterson after his conviction. Those letters are being used as evidence in proving she lied to the court and was indeed a biased juror. IMO, she should be prosecuted for perjury. These types of errors cost taxpayers more money, should a case have to be retried.

The judge will make her decision in August as to whether Peterson will receive a new trial. The DA in Stanislaus County has recommended a change of sentencing to LWOP, in part to save taxpayers money and also to avoid the Rocha family from having to go through this again. What a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime