Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2021, 07:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Peterson will not be getting a new trial. Instead, he will be re-sentenced to life without parole at a hearing on October 6th.

https://www.kcra.com/article/scott-p...-says/37695729
Well, I hate to harden my heart and not care anymore.

I think he deserves a new trial, with a respectable lawyer and a better jury. I don't know if he's guilty, but it's certainly not clear that he is guilty. Anyway, he's being spared the death penalty so there's time in his life to consider the truth.

This case will go down in history as a petrie dish of possible errors. It seems likely that in retrospect, there might be a different murderer that is brought to justice.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-26-2021 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 08:27 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
I can understand your feelings, ClaraC. Since the whole thing began, I felt that without concrete evidence, his sentence should have been life without parole so, at the very least, that's what it will be. He can still try for a new trial but I'm not so sure he'll get it but I am dead set against the death penalty in cases where it's not 100% certain that the defendant did the crime.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:51 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, I hate to harden my heart and not care anymore.

I think he deserves a new trial, with a respectable lawyer and a better jury. I don't know if he's guilty, but it's certainly not clear that he is guilty. Anyway, he's being spared the death penalty so there's time in his life to consider the truth.

This case will go down in history as a petrie dish of possible errors. It seems likely that in retrospect, there might be a different murderer that is brought to justice.
Why does this dirtbag deserve anything other than a cot, and 3 meals a day? Why do you want to tie up the legal system with this nonsense? He was on the run to Mexico when captured. He's guilty. Move on!

It's people who think like you do - who get on juries and look at every little detail of everything and see something perhaps not quite right legally - a cop caught on tape using racial language in the past - and let it override the main idea -- is the defendent guilty or not? Remember that OJ Simpson case...you probably think OJ wasn't guilty either.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 10-03-2021 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-03-2021, 06:36 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Why does this dirtbag deserve anything other than a cot, and 3 meals a day? Why do you want to tie up the legal system with this nonsense? He was on the run to Mexico when captured. He's guilty. Move on!
Could not agree more.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Could not agree more.
We agree!!!

Old 10-07-2021, 08:32 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
I think he is guilty but there was not enough proof...

Old 10-07-2021, 09:46 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
There was certainly not enough proof to put him to death. I really wonder about the people on that jury.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:46 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There was certainly not enough proof to put him to death. I really wonder about the people on that jury.
The jury could have been a wobbler but the entire case was a lot of social media hype too. He was convicted by public opinion which made it really difficult for him to get a fair trial in Modesto. I think the entire county and a good number of people all over the country had him convicted and sentenced before they heard the evidence. Laci's family was well connected in the community and well liked so there was that, too. But the jury . . . a few nutjobs who wanted to be on the jury just so they could go back and tell their friends later that they got to serve on the Peterson case. A big hit at cocktail parties, I guess. And then the book deals, too. I think one or two wrote a book. smh

But, even the prosecuting attorney stated that this case was like a puzzle. There was no smoking gun but when you add up all the little pieces ... or connected the dots, he was guilty. But with it being only circumstantial evidence, I don't feel anyone should be given the death penalty. LWOP, yes. DP, no.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:43 PM

928 posts, read 970,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The jury could have been a wobbler but the entire case was a lot of social media hype too. He was convicted by public opinion which made it really difficult for him to get a fair trial in Modesto. I think the entire county and a good number of people all over the country had him convicted and sentenced before they heard the evidence. Laci's family was well connected in the community and well liked so there was that, too. But the jury . . . a few nutjobs who wanted to be on the jury just so they could go back and tell their friends later that they got to serve on the Peterson case. A big hit at cocktail parties, I guess. And then the book deals, too. I think one or two wrote a book. smh

But, even the prosecuting attorney stated that this case was like a puzzle. There was no smoking gun but when you add up all the little pieces ... or connected the dots, he was guilty. But with it being only circumstantial evidence, I don't feel anyone should be given the death penalty. LWOP, yes. DP, no.
Well said!

Old 10-24-2021, 06:21 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
How about the fact that he was in disguise and trying to get out of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime