Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist.1 View Post
If cracker isn't a racist slur.. then, neither is ******.
Indeed, it's a racist term. Whites use it too though, the same as blacks will call each other the N word.

You don't hear the reference made much up North, more a Southern states racist term.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Indeed, it's a racist term. Whites use it too though, the same as blacks will call each other the N word.

You don't hear the reference made much up North, more a Southern states racist term.
Never heard any of the people I hang out with use any of these names....

Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Does Trayvon using a racial slur to describe someone who following in a car change GZ defense story? No, not at all. GZ didn't even hear that.

Let's move on please. Let's Take the racial terminology discussion to the politics and other controversies forum please. It belongs there.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 PM

181 posts, read 849,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Does Trayvon using a racial slur to describe someone who following in a car change GZ defense story? No, not at all. GZ didn't even hear that.

Let's move on please. Let's Take the racial terminology discussion to the politics and other controversies forum please. It belongs there.
No, it's absolutely crucial to the trial, which is why West brought it up today and made her talk about it more on cross.

The prosecution has insinuated that Zimmerman "profiled" Trayvon (we all know what that means). This shows that profiling might have cut the other way. It also shows Trayvon has a bias against Zimmerman, making it more likely he attacked first.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
No, it's absolutely crucial to the trial, which is why West brought it up today and made her talk about it more on cross.

The prosecution has insinuated that Zimmerman "profiled" Trayvon (we all know what that means). This shows that profiling might have cut the other way. It also shows Trayvon has a bias against Zimmerman, making it more likely he attacked first.

Because he was following him for no reason?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

Racial slurs are dehumanizing. They are used to show one's superiority over another race or nationality. Our military and political leaders have used them as tools to justify our wars. Someone that uses these slurs could think that they have an physical or mental advantage over another. They could think they have an upper hand in a fight.

That is why it is important to know if GZ or Trayvon used these racial slurs. If the prosecutor found out that GZ used these slurs he would do everything in his power to try to introduce that evidence. The prosecutor would be quick to argue (if permitted) that GZ was not killing another human being. On the other hand, if Trayvon regularly used these slurs, it is possible that he felt justified to attack GZ?

By the way, while Selma Mora might be a witness for the prosecution; she has just stated that GZ was in her sight from the time of the shooting until the police (person with a flashlight) arrived. There was some speculation that GZ had inflicted his physical damage (bloody nose and cuts on the back of his head) himself after the shooting.

Is this the first time we are seeing the bloody pictures of GZ'z face and back of head? I just don't recall seeing those pictures when this case first broke?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Never heard any of the people I hang out with use any of these names....
Neither did Paula Deen and she swears she's not racist. Carry on.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:

This is a classic example of not understanding homicide laws or the rules of evidence in a criminal case. The issues in this case are really pretty straightforward. They are:

1. Did GZ kill TM?

2. Was there an intent on GZ to kill or inflict serious bodily injury?

3. Did GZ act in self defense when he shot TM?

In addition to these elements of the crime, the prosecution in a case is entitled to try and show "motive" or a reason for the perpetrator's actions. GZ's racial slurs, anger, and state of mind prior to killing are all relevant for this purpose. The notion that if TM had made a comment like "cracker" that somehow this would have made him more likely to attack TM is ridiculous. I curse at bad drivers all the time while I am in my vehicle. I have never physically attacked one yet and I never will.

In fact, one interesting point is that sometimes attacking someone first can actually be justified as self defense. An example would be a smaller person fearing that he willing be attacked by a larger, menacing person. The smaller person strikes first, reasoning if he doesn't get in the first punch, he may never get another opportunity at all.

We all know you had your mind made up about this case before a single shred of evidence was presented. I can make room for the idea that GZ could be not guilty in this case because of the right of self defense. However, the difference between you and me is that I will reach whatever conclusion I do after the trial has been completed. Does that make sense to you?

Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
In the country I was born an African American is called "neger" and that would be translated to "negro" over here which would be a racial slur as I understand.

If we in my birth country would say someone is "zwart", translated to "black" than it owuld be a racial slur and insult...so when I moved here someone told me I couldn't use the word "negro" and it was very innocent and respectfully meant since I was unaware of how they call it over here.

I thought the wording "African American" is absurd since most of them are born over here and it doesn't make sense, but that is of course not for me to decide.

I rather see people as people than pointing them out by race and wasn't raised to point out people by race since that issues doesn't come up that much in Europe and right now over there it is more...muslim or not muslim due to all the issues over there...

Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 AM

263 posts, read 889,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Cracker can be construed as a racist slur. How many caucasians refer to themselves as crackers?

Multiple generations of Florida cattle ranchers, where the term originated

http://www.crackercountry.org/home

I agree Trayvon meant it to be offensive, but many people here in Florida use it proudly.

Last edited by muggums; 06-28-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime