Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 PM

448 posts, read 591,881 times

Advertisements

I happen to live in a city outside San Antonio that feels very safe, people walk around at night, I even leave my doors unlocked on my house and truck sometimes with no fear of people breaking in. When I lived in New Mexico, I wouldn't dare do that. Yes some cities are safer to grow up and live in than others. I hardly see a bad element in this town. My small town in New Mexico population 12,000 had a rougher side of town than my current city of 60,000.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ime_rate_(2014)

You can look for yourself and see that even in nice cities like Portland, away from scumbags and savages, there are crimes that occur more frequently than in heathen-laden cities like Chicago.
I get it, despite having +100 homicides so far this year, Chiraq is safer than Santa Monica, New york city, Toronto, Sydney... In fact you are more likely to be victim of a crime in in San diego than you are in Chiraq... In Fact the few safer city in this world than Chiraq are Ciduade juarez, Calcuta, Bogota, the Rio de Janeiro flavelas, Johannesburg, Baltimore and Saint Louis (just to name a few).

Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I get it, despite having +100 homicides so far this year, Chiraq is safer than Santa Monica, New york city, Toronto, Sydney... In fact you are more likely to be victim of a crime in in San diego than you are in Chiraq... In Fact the few safer city in this world than Chiraq are Ciduade juarez, Calcuta, Bogota, the Rio de Janeiro flavelas, Johannesburg, Baltimore and Saint Louis (just to name a few).
Sigh.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Well I think he just meant that there are bad people everywhere, but in Chicago's case it's a city of hundreds of square miles with much of the "bad" stuff happening in very specific areas, mostly miles and miles away from the more decent and popular areas.

Not that it's an excuse for the stuff happening in the bad areas, but you're kinda talking about Chicago in blanket statements. I've been here for 15 years and never seen any crimes nor know anyone who was the victim of a crime except for a friend who was hit after a baseball game in Wrigleyville about 10 years ago and another friend who had his garage broken into maybe 5-6 years ago.

You have to keep it in perspective if you're talking about a huge city. I mean Atlanta and Washington DC have higher violent crime rates than Chicago, mostly because Chicago has huge areas with around 1,750,000 people in the city limits that are quite safe and bring the rates down. Those people exist too, and those safe areas exist too, you can't just focus on the neighborhoods with 25% of the city's population and 75% of its crime.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Los Angeles 45. (50% larger popualtion then Chicago)
New York 39 (triple the population of Chicago)
Manhattan 2
Brooklyn 19 (similar population to Chicago)
Queens 4 (slightly smaller then Chicago)
Chicago 112

Old 03-09-2016, 02:02 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Some stats from Canada.

Montreal (2 million people*) is still at zero.

Toronto (2.6 million people*) is at 16 I think.

I believe Toronto only reached 16 in mid to late July last year, so they're "ahead" (sic) of last year's pace by a wide margin.

*Area patrolled by the central city police force

Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Manhattan 2
Chicago 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Some stats from Canada.

So Queen's murder rate is around 30% of Toronto's

Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,992 times
Quote:
Some stats from Canada.

I believe Toronto only reached 16 in mid to late July last year, so they're "ahead" (sic) of last year's pace by a wide margin.

According to Wikipedia, Toronto saw 55 murders last year. Reaching only 16 in July sounds implausible.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Manhattan 2
Chicago 112
That's amazing for NYC! To think back 20 years ago it had more than 2,000 murders per year. How does the 39 compare to last year? I believe last year or 2014 were a low point for the city in the number of murders.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:21 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Some stats from Canada.

Well, the freezing temperature Montreal has experienced explain this rate, although there are been some atempted murders in Rosemont and mafia member killed in the suburb (Laval) but when you have like -20C outside, even criminals stay inside.

Toronto is on pace of having a similar homicide rate than Brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime