Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 12,083 times

Advertisements

Get GSW at the trauma center everyday that the media doesn't report. You turn on Tucson news on any station and you will never hear about GSW or gangs, theft, drugs or any of that. The news is deceiving, but I guess that's what you get when it's only 30 minutes a day. Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
but how will I know when I've left Tucson and entered Oro Valley????
There will be no crime, no traffic snarls, no red-light cameras, no speed traps, no fast-and-furious-lane-changing-NASCAR wannabes, no boom bass-equipped vehicles, no lowriders, no continous chip-sealing, no endless strip malls, no convenience stores at every corner, no homeless people wearing high-visibility vests selling newspapers, no cowboys or cowgirls, no gangs, no grafitti, no guns, no ghettos, no "wifebeaters", no "baggies", no shopping carts in the arroyos, no suggestion of blight or poverty... and, unless it was reported incorrectly... the town recently put together a herculean effort to ban monsoons...

However, you may experience the occasional pink-haired, gum-chewing, eye-rolling teeny-bopper, with the snarling yapper in her Gucci handbag... when you enter an earth-toned, Spanish-tiled Starbucks.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
There will be no crime, no traffic snarls, no red-light cameras, no speed traps, no fast-and-furious-lane-changing-NASCAR wannabes, no boom bass-equipped vehicles, no lowriders, no continous chip-sealing, no endless strip malls, no convenience stores at every corner, no homeless people wearing high-visibility vests selling newspapers, no cowboys or cowgirls, no gangs, no grafitti, no guns, no ghettos, no "wifebeaters", no "baggies", no shopping carts in the arroyos, no suggestion of blight or poverty... and, unless it was reported incorrectly... the town recently put together a herculean effort to ban monsoons...

However, you may experience the occasional pink-haired, gum-chewing, eye-rolling teeny-bopper, with the snarling yapper in her Gucci handbag... when you enter an earth-toned, Spanish-tiled Starbucks.
I went this way last weekend all the way up to San Manuel. Even was gonna write something, but didn't get around to it. Guess what they build along 77 for no reason whatsoever?! A wall to block the beautiful mountain views! I mean, I understand having a pretty wall hiding ugly stuff, but there's nothing behind it. Besides, it looks like a ditch, so most likely there won't be anything there EVER!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I went this way last weekend all the way up to San Manuel. Even was gonna write something, but didn't get around to it. Guess what they build along 77 for no reason whatsoever?! A wall to block the beautiful mountain views! I mean, I understand having a pretty wall hiding ugly stuff, but there's nothing behind it. Besides, it looks like a ditch, so most likely there won't be anything there EVER!
Maybe Bigfoot complained about the awfully noisy commuters, and twisted a few town council dudes' arms in order to have a wall put up?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe Bigfoot complained about the awfully noisy commuters, and twisted a few town council dudes' arms in order to have a wall put up?
That's the thing - there are no houses behind and it doesn't look like there will ever be.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM

602 posts, read 2,063,850 times
Quote:

I know this was written with tongue firmly in cheek, but the irony is, it's by and large accurate. Damn near like stepping back in time. The sweet bliss of it all.

That crazy wall that they're building (that you guys were talking about) right before Catalina State Park is likely to keep the highway noise from that group of homes behind them (who knows, though). To me, it's totally crazy to obscure that beautiful view.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
That crazy wall that they're building (that you guys were talking about) right before Catalina State Park is likely to keep the highway noise from that group of homes behind them (who knows, though). To me, it's totally crazy to obscure that beautiful view.
I didn't see any houses behind...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM

602 posts, read 2,063,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I didn't see any houses behind...
There IS a smallish development back there. Definitely doesn't justify that stupid wall though.

Edit: When driving from south (Tucson), you see the houses *before* the wall. They kind of go at about a 45 degree angle because they follow a wash back there. Just saying... Still one of the dumber ideas I've seen around here. I bet there're less than 50 houses back there.

Last edited by azhiker; 01-27-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmatical23 View Post
OMFG. Tucson is safe. Even South Tucson is safe. I live in Sahuarita and I do all my shopping and dining in South Tucson. Have you idiots never been to an actual city?
What a friendly response.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
I know this was written with tongue firmly in cheek, but the irony is, it's by and large accurate.
The Hiker Man cometh! Even more ironic, and tough, was keeping that same tongue firmly in place, because of all the Band-Aids on it.

Quote:
Its difficult to understand the process which brings about such things as inexplicable walls and the like. One person's idea of being practical is another's sense of disbelief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson