Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Quote:
Tool. Take your crayons and go home.
Aaah, no harm meant. Ya just needled me and needled me til you finally got a reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Aaah, no harm meant. Ya just needled me and needled me til you finally got a reaction.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:51 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
BAM! WHAM!

Ouch! Is the Hiker Man down for the count? No... I don't think so... I think I saw movement... I can see his eyes rolling... his nose is twitching...

Quote:
Look OUT! The Hiker Man bounces back up, and then finesses his way around the savage punches thrown by the "Hooded Troublemaker". He's light on his feet that Hiker guy! He is a skilled boxer...

HooWEEE! Another roundhouse right just misses that protruding jaw of the Hiker... Wheeee-oooooweee!
Just a short comment on these contributions, ZP: Yesterday Sierra and I had a conversation that was a little unusual in that the general tone of it got a little more no nonsense and pointed than is normal for us (I think). Basically, there was a little tension in the conversation for a few posts.

Usually, people have a general feel for the way a conversation is going and adjust accordingly (or stay out of it, as the case may be). I thought your contributions quoted above were pretty tone deaf, and had a baiting quality to them, given the context of the conversation, so I'd just ask that if you are able to recognize that an exchange is getting a little overheated (and don't directly involve you), that you refrain from interjecting these baiting type posts. Seems their sole intent was to incite a response, much like I used to do to my sister in the back seat of our car when I was 7 and she 10. I'd encroach on her side 'cause I knew it'd get a reaction. Never failed.

Anyway, now that I'm decades and decades away from being 7 years old I've quite lost the thrill of being baited into a response.

Capisce?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Just a short comment on these contributions, ZP: Yesterday Sierra and I had a conversation that was a little unusual in that the general tone of it got a little more no nonsense and pointed than is normal for us (I think). Basically, there was a little tension in the conversation for a few posts.

Usually, people have a general feel for the way a conversation is going and adjust accordingly (or stay out of it, as the case may be). I thought your contributions quoted above were pretty tone deaf, and had a baiting quality to them, given the context of the conversation, so I'd just ask that if you are able to recognize that an exchange is getting a little overheated (and don't directly involve you), that you refrain from interjecting these baiting type posts. Seems their sole intent was to incite a response, much like I used to do to my sister in the back seat of our car when I was 7 and she 10. I'd encroach on her side 'cause I knew it'd get a reaction. Never failed.

Anyway, now that I'm decades and decades away from being 7 years old I've quite lost the thrill of being baited into a response.

Capisce?

Sammy Davis Jr.
"I've Gotta Be Me"

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am
I want to live, not merely survive
And I won't give up this dream
Of life that keeps me alive
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
The dream that I see makes me what I am
That far-away prize, a world of success
Is waiting for me if I heed the call
I won't settle down, won't settle for less
As long as there's a chance that I can have it all
I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I've gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I've gotta be me
I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I gotta be me!

Frank Sinatra
"I Did It My Way"

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, Ill say it clear,
Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.
Ive traveled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

Ive loved, Ive laughed and cried.
Ive had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,
I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,259 times
Quote:
Downers Grove, IL is a suburb of Chicago and Chicago is a real beautiful and cosmopolitan city with nice architecture, museums, outdoor venues, beach in summer, and you name it and you can go there easily whenever you feel like to. If it weren't for the horrible weather, I like Chicago the best in this country.
Again it is all what you like. I don't like Chicago. Besides the weather, IMO, it is dirty, the people are self important and nasty, everything is highly overpriced, the infrastructure is a joke, I could go on and on.

The Chicago metro area isn't much better. Sure there are some nice suburbs but property taxes are outragous, sales taxes are high, we have toll ways here that are in terrible repair even though there is a high toll just to drive on them. They added an 11 mile piece to Route 355 a few years ago and it cost $5.50 to drive that 11 miles. Forget using them during rush hour. They are usually backed up stopped. It's usually quicker to use the surface streets during those times.

You want to go to downtown Chicago on Friday or Saturday night? It will take you a couple of hours using the highway. (we live about 30 miles from the lake) And if there is anything going on there (like Taste of Chicago, Jass fest, etc.) you may as well go the night before and then spend $350 and up for a hotel room. Then you have the problem of parking. How does $20/hr sound for a parking garage? If you can fined a space on the street the meter will cost you $3.00/hr. and are going up to $3.50 next year.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Again it is all what you like. I don't like Chicago. Besides the weather, IMO, it is dirty, the people are self important and nasty, everything is highly overpriced, the infrastructure is a joke, I could go on and on.
I did not find it dirty. Can't tell anything about the people. If you think the convenient EL is a joke, wait and see how you'll like driving everywhere on surface potholed streets. And if you plan on any safe drinking out, you better pad your pockets with about $50-100+ per outing in cabs alone.

Quote:
The Chicago metro area isn't much better. Sure there are some nice suburbs but property taxes are outragous, sales taxes are high, we have toll ways here that are in terrible repair even though there is a high toll just to drive on them. They added an 11 mile piece to Route 355 a few years ago and it cost $5.50 to drive that 11 miles. Forget using them during rush hour. They are usually backed up stopped. It's usually quicker to use the surface streets during those times.

You want to go to downtown Chicago on Friday or Saturday night? It will take you a couple of hours using the highway. (we live about 30 miles from the lake) And if there is anything going on there (like Taste of Chicago, Jass fest, etc.) you may as well go the night before and then spend $350 and up for a hotel room. Then you have the problem of parking. How does $20/hr sound for a parking garage? If you can fined a space on the street the meter will cost you $3.00/hr. and are going up to $3.50 next year.
Well, I did not say it was cheap or that livable as you have to have lived somewhere to know the latter. I didn't find it that expensive, though, and the common opinion is it's the least expensive of the major fun (IMO) cities. I don't know how much hotel prices have changed in the past 5 years, but I got a package for about $450 (flight + hotel) in '03 and it included 3 nights in a great downtown small hotel in a safe location. Since these are business hotels, they're really inexpensive on weekends. It was so quiet and the bedding so nice, I had a hard time getting out in the mornings to explore!

Yes, parking is more expensive in many cities and the reason for that is that there actually is something to do downtown to warrant the price. Property taxes in AZ are lower for now, indeed.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
They added an 11 mile piece to Route 355 a few years ago and it cost $5.50 to drive that 11 miles.
How convenient omitting mention of an I-pass to save money.

Chicago & the burbs rock. Love what they're doing in downtown Downers Grove with all the new restaurants. Heart of Chicago, Millenium Park, Navy Pier, theatre, shopping, etc ... fantastic!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:30 AM

522 posts, read 1,569,259 times
Oh yea, I pass. That's a wonderful thing. You need to pay the state a $50 advance and then tie it to a credit card just to get it. Yes, it will save you 50% on tolls, but if you don't use the tollways much it is a rip. And just think of all the 1000's of vehicles from out of state that don't have them.

Besides, you think it's cheap th drive 11 miles for $2.75? (with I-pass)

Quote:
If you think the convenient EL is a joke, wait and see how you'll like driving everywhere on surface potholed streets. And if you plan on any safe drinking out, you better pad your pockets with about $50-100+ per outing in cabs alone.
Cabs cost the same here too. And we have more than our share of potholed streets too.
The El is fine if it goes where you want to go. But unless you live in the inner city it doesn't.

Quote:
I don't know how much hotel prices have changed in the past 5 years, but I got a package for about $450 (flight + hotel) in '03 and it included 3 nights in a great downtown small hotel in a safe location. Since these are business hotels, they're really inexpensive on weekends. It was so quiet and the bedding so nice, I had a hard time getting out in the mornings to explore!
First, that was 03. Second, were you here when there was something going on? (the Taste, Jass Fest, etc.) Everything is super inflated during those times.

Quote:
Chicago & the burbs rock. Love what they're doing in downtown Downers Grove with all the new restaurants. Heart of Chicago, Millenium Park, Navy Pier, theatre, shopping, etc ... fantastic!
Again, if that is what you like, good for you. I dispize it. I hate going into the city. $5 cups of Coke and $8 hamburgers aren't my thing.

Yea, there are wonderful museums, the aquarium, and other things...if you can afford to bring your family along. I'd love to bring my kids to the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry but at $100 a pop (with parking) not counting buying anything to eat or drink I can't afford it. They took away the free days a few years ago.

Quote:
If it is so fantastic why not move here? I can't wait until we will be able to leave. No place is perfect, you just need to find somewhere that suits you the best.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
If it is so fantastic why not move here? I can't wait until we will be able to leave. No place is perfect, you just need to find somewhere that suits you the best.
That's very true, Sickster. It seems to be that we're a nation (if not a world) full of people which believe that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!

It must be difficult for us, but I agree that we do need to just find the one place that suits us best, then settle in, settle down, and make it work! Otherwise we're caught in a loop and in a pattern of constantly looking, looking, looking...

Old 02-01-2009, 04:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
If it is so fantastic why not move here?
I've moved within 3 hrs of Chicago ... get there often.

Quote:
I can't wait until we will be able to leave.
So what's holding you back? Your constant complaints about the Chicago area can't be healthy to your own, or family's, well being.

Quote:
You need to pay the state a $50 advance and then tie it to a credit card just to get it.
GASP! Better call the bank to increase my credit line.

Quote:
Yes, it will save you 50% on tolls
Bingo!

Quote:
I dispize it. I hate going into the city. $5 cups of Coke and $8 hamburgers aren't my thing.
Yet you're still in the area complaining. How 'bout bringing your own stuff downtown?

Quote:
$100 a pop (with parking) not counting buying anything to eat or drink I can't afford it.
See above. Ever consider public transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson