Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,984,440 times

Advertisements

Illinois, particularly the Chicago area, is a great area too! You might want to try it out.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 AM

266 posts, read 912,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Open yourself up to diverse ways of communicating. Never judge.
You've got to be kidding.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,355,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
The Hiker never kids, Truckstop. He chooses his words well; sez what he means, and means what he sez.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,960,330 times
Quote:
I do, actually. I often times think to myself how lucky I am to live here. Incomprehensible to some, I know, but that's how I feel.

I'm glad it works for ya. I see the beauty in where you live too. I just want no part of severe winters for myself (or humidity for that matter).
I've lived in the northeast, southern Florida, the Pacific NW, and now Colorado but to me the desert around Tucson combined with the mountain ranges that ring the area is the most beautiful environment in the country. Not everybody prefers the more "pedestrian" beauty of the wetter areas of the country. And as somebody from the frozen north, I need to point out that winter turns those green Michigan woods into a bunch of bare trunks for 4-5 months of the year.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM

602 posts, read 2,065,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Open yourself up to diverse ways of communicating. Never judge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony
The Hiker never kids, Truckstop.
Well, thanks for the kind thought, ZP, but I was in fact, just playin'. I don't even know what the context was at this point, but clearly (to me at least, since I know me ) I was taking a little poke at PC and relativism. It's an easy target.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM

602 posts, read 2,065,952 times
As an aside, seems like the board has thankfully regained a sense of sanity and civility the last couple of days. Was getting kinda nutty (and unpleasant) in here for awhile.

Well, whatever the cause, it's a welcome change.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Well, whatever the cause, it's a welcome change.
I'd say the cause of it is quite clear! I didn't do it, but it looks like it finally happened...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Why, whatever could you mean?
Ah, nothing... just things ring a bell, if you know what I mean...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM

95 posts, read 307,528 times
Again I'll say that pretty much everything I've read here that's crappy about Tucson could be said about Honolulu... no jobs, bad trafiic, bad roads, crooked government, bad education system... sound familiar?

It's what society is going through, and the government is all set up to do what it's been doing for decades - squander money like a crackhead, and that no longer works.

I take what the newspapers and tv news say as comedy, I think most of it is "pay to play" Chicago style stories that someone made up for a purpose.

The best version of the truth I've found is what a guy named Ray Kurzweil writes in his book, "The Singularity is Near", which is sorta hard to read (the guy's got something like 12 phd's) but is, unlike the media, very optimistic about the future.

Also, comic book legend Neal Adams (the real Batman) has videos on his website and YouTube that are astounding in their implications.

That's reality, don't believe the newspapers or tv, in the words of Lee Atwater (and no one understood American politics better than him) "it's all bull****".

Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,514 times
Unhappy Tucson = Retirement City

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The way the government and university handles themselves...is ridiculous. UofA is facing a tremendous, $103M cut from the state legislature. This is a huge percentage cut, one that would cripple the UofA if they retained the current levels of tuition, etc.
Well, places like AZ and FL have large retirement communities that do not want to pay any property taxes. Tucson is largely a service-oriented city that caters to the older population. Schooling is a LAST priority for these "near-dead's" and so they vote for anti-education representatives, they vote against bond-overrides etc.

Old-style culture comes with the retiree's as well. This is the state that was against Martin-Luther King day, and refused to give Obama an honorary degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson