Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times

Advertisements

Peggy, we've often wondered what Corpus Christi was like. Have you been there recently cause I've read where the entire area has changed so much AND not for the better.

YES, it's awful to have chilly weather so soon. We get hot up here and can be well over 100 and we do have humidity in the eastern part of the state. I believe we hit something like 112 heat index a couple days this summer. Right now we're at least 15 degrees below average. Our high yesterday was 50.One of the nights later in the week is only supposed to be 39 degrees. It really wreaks havoc on my fibro and besides, I've never liked the cold. Depending on where Jamee lives, it could be worse for her cause Mn. is often colder then we are.

From what I understand, evacuation would be filled with turmoil to get out of the Clearwater/St. Pete area. And historically, they're due for a big one there. The theory is that the St. Pete area would break off, basically and become an island of it's own. Clearwater would remain attached to Fla. We love the ocean and the beach, but just don't know if we'd really be comfy living right near it. It'd be nice to be able to go to the beach on the weekend, but there is a huge threat living there. And this is from someone who lives in tornado alley. Also, lightning strikes are quite prevalent there and I have already been struck by lightning once in my life and that was enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM

130 posts, read 527,617 times
79 degrees in Oklahoma? Well that gives me more motivation to want to live there. Imo, Tulsa is the perfect place to be in the fall! Last October averaged 80 degrees while there. I was in ahhhh. We then came back to Mn. and froze like icicles. (sp) I also noticed my mood took a nosedive. I really think I suffer from the seasonal mood disorder.

A very close friend of mine lives in St. Pete with her husband and 2 kids. They have a decent house (small) and pay $1800/mnth that does include the property tax, and she mentioned that is on the rise. Florida folks brag about how they dont pay state taxes. Its too bad they cant see they make up for it on there property taxes. I guess the idea of working 2-3 jobs to live in a small box doesnt appeal to me the more I think of it. I guess almost every home gets there share of the jumbo sized cockroaches no matter how clean they keep it. Not a fan of them either. Tampa bay was very nice. Its too bad the crime there is out of control! I hope someone can get a grip on that state. It does have alot of potential.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
Real estate prices have taken such a dive, insurance and taxes are up. I feel sorry for a lot of folks who are taking financial losses in Florida.

I like Corpus OK. I really don't think much of the beach area in front of the hotels. No dunes or anything. The town never seemed tourist friendly to me, so I am glad they are improving.
I haven't been there for a while. Last time we were down there we went to the south end of Padre Island. That is way overdeveloped now, condos everywhere. I like North Padre better, and it is not so far to drive.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
We lived there for a while, but that was 10 years ago. It was boring. We even drove around to small towns in the area and most were boarded up. There was only one artsy town that we liked, but it still wasn't much. We stayed for a few months and moved.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 AM

Well, you are never more than 1/2 mile from a Whataburger in Corpus. It seems to me the main thing wrong there is all the chemical type industries around. I like the Texas coast, but I would rather live in Oklahoma.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Our high today is predicted to be a delightful 79 degrees. That is better than 99 degrees, which is more typical of Sept. 10.
Not to sound like a know it all, but 99 is not the norm this time of year. The average is 85 in both OKC and Tulsa today. I know we tend to over exaggerate stuff now and then, but 99 is much close to a record high than normal high.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Not to sound like a know it all, but 99 is not the norm this time of year. The average is 85 in both OKC and Tulsa today. I know we tend to over exaggerate stuff now and then, but 99 is much close to a record high than normal high.
^TRUE! I think peggy was trying to scare people away..

Normal Highs/Lows for Tulsa on Sept. 12.

Max Temperature
85 °F / 29 °C

Min Temperature
64 °F / 17 °C

Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Well, OK, maybe that was an exaggeration. The weather right now has seemed so much cooler than normal. Everyone I have talked to lately has commented on it being so pleasant for the middle of September. This whole summer was really relatively cool to me, although we did have some hot spells.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 48,476 times
Cool I'm lost

I checked out the map you posted with your reply and its quite possible that I am not reading it right, but all I saw was west and north Tulsa, even on the sex offender map that I went looking for seperately. That can't be right, bc I have gotten notices about sex offenders in my area on the southside, and I know there have been violent crimes. A man was shot to death in the apartment complex where I live, not 30 feet from our apartment! I had to have not done something right, bc if the map I saw WAS accurate, its misleading. You will find crime anywhere in Tulsa. There are income based housing on the southside too, and they are just as scary as one on the northside, I maintain that is the neighborhood itself and its members that define good or bad areas to live. I would also like to agree with other posters, that a little safe guarding and common sense will take you a long way, and also I would like to add that as a whole, the people I have met here have been good people. You will find the drudges of the human race anywhere however. But still and all, I don't feel it is city where you need to watch your back and be scared to go to the store alone. Considering its size and population, I think Tulsa is actually a pretty safe place, as much as one can expect in this day and age anyway. Trust in Gods protection, but lock your car.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM

130 posts, read 527,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Spain View Post
I checked out the map you posted with your reply and its quite possible that I am not reading it right, but all I saw was west and north Tulsa, even on the sex offender map that I went looking for seperately. That can't be right, bc I have gotten notices about sex offenders in my area on the southside, and I know there have been violent crimes. A man was shot to death in the apartment complex where I live, not 30 feet from our apartment! I had to have not done something right, bc if the map I saw WAS accurate, its misleading. You will find crime anywhere in Tulsa. There are income based housing on the southside too, and they are just as scary as one on the northside, I maintain that is the neighborhood itself and its members that define good or bad areas to live. I would also like to agree with other posters, that a little safe guarding and common sense will take you a long way, and also I would like to add that as a whole, the people I have met here have been good people. You will find the drudges of the human race anywhere however. But still and all, I don't feel it is city where you need to watch your back and be scared to go to the store alone. Considering its size and population, I think Tulsa is actually a pretty safe place, as much as one can expect in this day and age anyway. Trust in Gods protection, but lock your car.
I have been considering a possible move to Tulsa after the holidays! I live in the Twin Cities (Mn) now and want a positive change. With weather and economy and so on! I really enjoyed the warmer climate there while visiting. I would be coming alone. My boyfriend and I recently broke up. I mentioned to him months ago that I wanted to leave, and he doesnt want to leave Mn. I said "Ok, fine sit here and freeze then"

There is crime here in the cities as well. It would be so different moving on my own cause I dont know a ton of people there and not really familiar with the good and bad parts of town like I am here! I welcome any thoughts and suggestions! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa