Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 AM

19 posts, read 71,105 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So....how often does Skiatook, Sperry....or Owasso FLOOD? Can you tell me anything about the weather? Seasons? Etc...

Thanks

Hoping to re-locate to a nice community North of Tulsa...within 30 minutes drive to city. Not sure yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,700 times
Never floods in Owasso, but Skiatook is a different story. Seems each time we get a lot of rain there is flooding on the east side of Skiatook. No idea about Sperry.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 9,088 times
I've lived in Owasso for 28 years in 4 different homes and never had a problem with flooding. In all that time, I've never seen a tornado touch down here either. I raised my children in Owasso and they turned out great. The people are friendly too. Owasso has everything you need as far as shopping and restaurants etc., but Tulsa is less than 30 minutes away. There's plenty of available housing in Owasso and it's safer than Tulsa. Everyone that lives here seems to love it. If you need any help with decorating when you arrive, give me a shout. I know all kinds of cost saving tricks and my rates are very reasonable. I can turn your Owasso home into a show place without breaking the bank. You'll have a blast too. That I can promise. My email address is dang12@cox.net. I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
This is a very helpful site for checking out flood zones.

FEMA Floodsmart

Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 PM

139 posts, read 530,369 times
What kind of a climate does Tulsa have? And yes, I saw pictures of that awful recent blizzard. I'm thinking more of the length of the growing season, and how hot it gets, and how much humidity. Is the humidity more like the south, like Houston?
What I mean is, do you have to live inside with the AC in the summer, the way you do in Arizona.

Last edited by ORexpat; 03-27-2010 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: another question added

Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
What kind of a climate does Tulsa have? And yes, I saw pictures of that awful recent blizzard. I'm thinking more of the length of the growing season, and how hot it gets, and how much humidity. Is the humidity more like the south, like Houston?
What I mean is, do you have to live inside with the AC in the summer, the way you do in Arizona.
Tulsa's climate is humid subtropical, although not as humid as areas such as Houston or New Orleans. That recent blizzard was a once or twice in a lifetime event for the area and I wouldn't let that discourage you at all from moving to the area.

Almost all summers see temperatures reach 100 degrees but a typical day will be in the 90's, low temperatures only drop into the 70's and on occasion 60's. The difference between Tulsa and Arizona is that after the sun goes down it doesn't cool as nicely as Arizona. Once in a while a "cold" front will go through and lower the temperatures to the 80's for highs and 60's for lows for a few days with low humidity but that's quickly replaced with higher temperatures and humidity.

I basically live inside during the summer, the early morning and late evening are tolerable but not desirable I would say. Between 10am and 7pm forget about it 90% of the time.

The first freeze tends to occur around Halloween and the last freeze the first week of April. that would give a growing season of nearly 7 months or around 200 days. Truth be told though the weeds tend to pop up the first week of March and the last mow tends to be around Thanksgiving. I typically don't mow for the first time until the 1st of April.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,813 times
Imo we have 4 "classic" storybook, seasons.

March has wild swings turning from winter to spring switching between super cold and, ooooh a warm taste of spring.
April and May are classic spring, flowers and plants blooming, chilly to warm, and yes windy.
June is an in-between seasons month, ranging from warm to hot.
July and August are classic summers, hot, sometimes stormy, often humid, dog days of summer.
Sept, temps start to moderate.
October and November are classic fall, and is probably my favorite season, cooler temps, chilly nights, colorful leaves.
December another in-between month, can be cool, can be cold.
Jan and Feb, classic winter, cold cold cold.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM

139 posts, read 530,369 times
I guess I'll have to re-think my idea of moving to Tulsa. One thing I really want in a move is to not have to live in AC, as I have for the past six years in the long very hot summer here. I miss my beautiful summers! (I came from eastern Oregon.) There is really no summer here, just HEAT, and a pleasant winter really isn't like summer out of season. Also, I have a physical problem which is badly affected by heat. I didn't know that when I moved.
Thanks a lot for your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa