Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,879,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ok base on first group of females it safe to say the one with most votes was in that group and I bet the best voice was also in males first group.

Jermaine in that Ford commercial where every one was a giant he was a mega giant.

Have they done away with the judges saving one contestant for the season and replace it with whoever judges decides each results show.
I'm not sure. I can tell you that I have been really missing Simon recently. The novelty of the new judges has worn off for me. I enjoyed them more last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I'm not sure. I can tell you that I have been really missing Simon recently. The novelty of the new judges has worn off for me. I enjoyed them more last year.
I agree, what Steven says is always in left field and your like huh.
Plus he a male Cougar so that makes it just as bad if he does speak.
I really wouldnt even call him judges but more like cheer leaders.
I always enjoy what Jimmy Iovine says he the true judge and does say what we hear.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,474,260 times
Apparently it's very difficult for people in the business to be "real" judges and give "true" criticism to the performers. That's why previous judges have quit -- including Angela "Angie" Martinez, the judge we never saw in Season 2 because she quit after the first round of tryouts.

Another reason is probably that the judges dont want to turn their own fans against them by appearing to be "mean", as was Simon (although it's strange to see Simon falling all over himself praising everyone on his new show now).

I can understand why the AI judges feel that way, although it's very frustrating to see Steven and JLo fall all over themselves praising a poor performance.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Not surprised by who's in the bottom 3 (guys and gals) so far.

I'm getting SO tired of JLO using the show to advertise her releases and products. Yes, she's attractive and she knows how to wear clothes -- but I dont think she can sing that well and her dancing isnt what it used to be (or was it ever?).
Agree. DH and I just said the same.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,262,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I agree, what Steven says is always in left field and your like huh.
Plus he a male Cougar so that makes it just as bad if he does speak.
I really wouldnt even call him judges but more like cheer leaders.
I always enjoy what Jimmy Iovine says he the true judge and does say what we hear.
I agree. I really think the people in charge over there at American Idol would have been better off putting Jimmy in as a judge instead of Steven Tyler. Jimmy is real and doesn't care how he comes off. Its a singing competition for a record contract, he wants the best of the best and feels the contestants DESERVE to hear the honest truth to benefit them. Steven Tyler is useless, half his comments come from out of nowhere and Jennifer Lopez has used this show to promote herself and relaunch her career, which is getting quite annoying.

I'll admit, I mainly watch this show because I've loved Hollie Cavanagh since I saw her last season. She has a great talent and being a red blooded male, I think shes hot haha. But really, her voice is just great in my book and since I saw her last season, its fun to watch her continue to improve. If she gets voted off, I'll probably stop watching. If she wins, this will probably be the last season I watch.

I just think the show has ran its course. The talent is pretty much the same each season, most of the recent winners haven't done much on the charts, and I think the general public is taking the contestants and winners less seriously. I mean, we can barely get real criticism from the judges these days. With "The Voice" getting more and more popular, I just think American Idol is on its last legs. Hell, even the auditions aren't as entertaining as they were in the past.

Wow sorry for the rant, didn't mean for that to happen lol.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,474,260 times
I think AI is trying to re-invent itself by having different scenarios -- like the bottom guy and bottom gal tonight. Often those new deals arent well-received by the TV audience, but they keep hauling them out anyway.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,660,211 times
I miss the old American Idol "Simon" but not the Simon we saw on X Factor.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,329,943 times
Jennifer is really getting on my nerves this year with her falling all over the contestants. This is the first year of watching the show that I really don't care if I miss seeing an episode. It's gotten boring for me without some honest critiquing from the judges. Last year Steven's off the wall comments really made up for a lot of the other shortcomings with the judges but this year he seems quieter to me.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,753,371 times
TFC I agree....the "stars" should not be promoting themselves.
I also agree with the contestants that ended up in the bottom three. I don't think the gentle giant will win but I still love him. I love the sparkle in his eye when he sings and he is so humble.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I agree. I really think the people in charge over there at American Idol would have been better off putting Jimmy in as a judge instead of Steven Tyler. Jimmy is real and doesn't care how he comes off. Its a singing competition for a record contract, he wants the best of the best and feels the contestants DESERVE to hear the honest truth to benefit them. Steven Tyler is useless, half his comments come from out of nowhere and Jennifer Lopez has used this show to promote herself and relaunch her career, which is getting quite annoying.

I'll admit, I mainly watch this show because I've loved Hollie Cavanagh since I saw her last season. She has a great talent and being a red blooded male, I think shes hot haha. But really, her voice is just great in my book and since I saw her last season, its fun to watch her continue to improve. If she gets voted off, I'll probably stop watching. If she wins, this will probably be the last season I watch.

I just think the show has ran its course. The talent is pretty much the same each season, most of the recent winners haven't done much on the charts, and I think the general public is taking the contestants and winners less seriously. I mean, we can barely get real criticism from the judges these days. With "The Voice" getting more and more popular, I just think American Idol is on its last legs. Hell, even the auditions aren't as entertaining as they were in the past.

Wow sorry for the rant, didn't mean for that to happen lol.
I agree with about all you said, only thing JLO said I agree with that we might have a female sing after Hollie did a wonderful job that night.

I thought Colton did good last night, his voice in that song reminded me of 'Radio Head' Jimmy mention he need to decide between pop or rock and I thought of perfect genre for hi last night. He could be a great soft rock singer like Richard Marx.

This show comes on same time Survivor so I watch that show then switch to idol on DVR and every week I end up fast forwarding these performances. I treat it like I m listening to it on radio. Ill listen for a minute to see if they draw interest if not Ill fast forward.
I only listen to entire performance the other night of Hollie, Phillip, Colton and the judges pet Jessica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV