Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Was last night the season finale?
Yes, it was, unfortunately. Now we've got the long haul until Christmas and then a break again until Spring. Wish it had longer seasons, darn it. It always goes so fast.

P.S. Sorry about the deletion below . . . I accidently posted this one twice. Time for bed, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 06:25 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Was last night the season finale?
Yes, unfortunately.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,523 times
I didn't recognize him at all! In fact, I kept thinking why would those young pretty girls go for such an old looking non-remarkable man!!
Touching season finale. It seems like the show features less of the midwives personal lives anymore like it used to. You used to know a lot of what was happening in Trixi's dating life etc, and we saw that other midwife get married to the Vicar guy (who Trixi is married to in real life!) and now we just don't see a whole lot of their personal stuff.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:56 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I didn't recognize him at all! In fact, I kept thinking why would those young pretty girls go for such an old looking non-remarkable man!!
Touching season finale. It seems like the show features less of the midwives personal lives anymore like it used to. You used to know a lot of what was happening in Trixi's dating life etc, and we saw that other midwife get married to the Vicar guy (who Trixi is married to in real life!) and now we just don't see a whole lot of their personal stuff.
Well, we did see the death of gran and how she became ill in prison. It was a nice glimpse into the British prison system at the time (which was pretty harsh from what I understand). And we do learn about the dating life of one of the nurses. I guess they have to balance the stories between the personal lives of the midwives and the residents of Poplar. It's very interesting to compare the differences of healthcare between the slums of London and the slums of a big American city like NY at the time. I don't think there were too many home births in 1965, even in the slum parts of NYC and most women would have been knocked out for the birth when they went to the hospital at the time.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
For those of you who watch of PBS & Masterpiece did you recognize Eddie from Call the Midwife last night? The guy who had a pregnant girlfriend AND a pregnant fiancée? He's put on a lot of weight since I last saw him on Downton Abbey.
Please remind me who was Eddie again? Was he one of the footmen at some point?

Old 05-19-2020, 12:12 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Well, we did see the death of gran and how she became ill in prison. It was a nice glimpse into the British prison system at the time (which was pretty harsh from what I understand). And we do learn about the dating life of one of the nurses. I guess they have to balance the stories between the personal lives of the midwives and the residents of Poplar. It's very interesting to compare the differences of healthcare between the slums of London and the slums of a big American city like NY at the time. I don't think there were too many home births in 1965, even in the slum parts of NYC and most women would have been knocked out for the birth when they went to the hospital at the time.
It's true. I grew up in London and we would drive by Holloway Prison all the time so it was nostalgic a little to see those signs. My mum grew up in the East End of London and had my brother in 1968 so it was just around the time that we're currently watching. She had him in hospital though and went to a "mother and baby" facility for two weeks after his birth to "recover". I remember, as they were trying to kick me out about 24 hours after my son was born, thinking that 2 weeks of laying around being waited on would've been nice!!
Also, you didn't have to worry about the cost of your healthcare in England. My friend works as a midwife in Kent (just outside of London) and delivers plenty of babies at home, and you still get the "post partum" visits from the midwives which I think is sorely needed for new mums!

Old 05-19-2020, 02:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
It's true. I grew up in London and we would drive by Holloway Prison all the time so it was nostalgic a little to see those signs. My mum grew up in the East End of London and had my brother in 1968 so it was just around the time that we're currently watching. She had him in hospital though and went to a "mother and baby" facility for two weeks after his birth to "recover". I remember, as they were trying to kick me out about 24 hours after my son was born, thinking that 2 weeks of laying around being waited on would've been nice!!
Also, you didn't have to worry about the cost of your healthcare in England. My friend works as a midwife in Kent (just outside of London) and delivers plenty of babies at home, and you still get the "post partum" visits from the midwives which I think is sorely needed for new mums!
Interesting , so still home births there , my cousin had both her girls at home in Sheffield , probably around 50 years ago , did not know they still did home deliveries. NHS isn’t so bad I guess.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Please remind me who was Eddie again? Was he one of the footmen at some point?
He was William, a footman I believe. He married Daisy right before he died from war injuries so she could collect his stipend or pension or whatever they call it. He loved Daisy but she didn't love him, however she married him to making a dying man happy.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:05 PM

Thank you. I remember William.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
I've always had a thing for Jenny Agutter, Sister Julienne. Since I first saw her in the 70's movie, Logans Run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV