Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 12:07 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Did anybody remember the 2020 Christmas special was on last night? I watched but was a little disappointed this year in it.
Yes, I mentioned it on another thread. It will be repeated tonight on our other PBS station in case other people have 2-3 PBS (main) stations as well.

What did you find disappointing? One of the recurring characters left the show. I was not expecting that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 05:22 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
Quote:
Did anybody remember the 2020 Christmas special was on last night? I watched but was a little disappointed this year in it.
I remembered to watch it. I watched on my TV verses Netflix or wherever it usually streams. I liked the episode but the closed captioning was off by a few seconds somehow. The captions were too fast for what the actors were actually saying and the scenes they were showing at the moment and it threw me off. I'm not sure how to explain it. I usually watch things on my laptop with captions on and I don't remember this being a problem with other shows. But I liked the episode!

Old 12-26-2020, 06:54 PM

10,098 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yes, I mentioned it on another thread. It will be repeated tonight on our other PBS station in case other people have 2-3 PBS (main) stations as well.

What did you find disappointing? One of the recurring characters left the show. I was not expecting that.
I just watched it on pbs.org. but I didn't see any recurring character leave the show.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:29 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I just watched it on pbs.org. but I didn't see any recurring character leave the show.
Spoiler
Valerie has left Nonnatus House to work in Africa.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:10 AM

10,098 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Spoiler
Valerie has left Nonnatus House to work in Africa.
Oh, right. That one just kind of went right by my consciousness after it was said. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:17 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

I'm not sure - it just didn't resonate with me like the show usually does. Perhaps because I was already in a rather unhappy mood. I do hate when so many characters keep leaving. Other than Sister Julianne, Sheila and Trixie are there any originals left? I miss Jenny, Barbara and Chummy.

Spoiler
I did love the scene where nurse Crane fulfilled her dream at the circus

Old 12-27-2020, 09:03 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Quote:
I'm not sure - it just didn't resonate with me like the show usually does. Perhaps because I was already in a rather unhappy mood. I do hate when so many characters keep leaving. Other than Sister Julianne, Sheila and Trixie are there any originals left? I miss Jenny, Barbara and Chummy.

Spoiler
I did love the scene where nurse Crane fulfilled her dream at the circus
Sister Monica Jones
Dr. Turner and son Tim
Fred

Old 12-27-2020, 12:45 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
And Vanessa Redgrave doing the narration. It's odd that this show started as the memory of Jenny writing her book with Vanessa Redgrave playing old Jenny. It's moved so much further.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 AM

187 posts, read 113,751 times
Quote:

I was also a little disappointed. Recently I saw most of the earlier Christmas specials again and found them so much better. This 2020 special had some good moments, though, such as the bonding of the spinsters. I've never been crazy about the circus, another reason this wasn't a favorite for me. It was good to see Peter Davidson on the show, and I liked the role he played.

One thing we can count on is dear Sister Monica Joan always getting into some type of trouble at Christmas. This year it seemed more sad than usual. I thought Sister Julienne acted a little out of character with not wanting to bring her home sooner. Lucille seemed so snippy the entire episode, but she won me back some when she pushed for Sister Monica Joan to come home.

I read that the actress playing Val quit the show in August. I liked the character and thought they should have done much more with her. On a frivolous note, they dressed her in some of the best clothes of the era. The mix of characters is a little off now and I am hoping they make some interesting changes for future shows.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:42 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,485,714 times
I watched the Christmas special and loved it. There is so little on TV, cable, and streaming that I like right now but this show never disappoints. I was never that much of a fan of Val’s so I didn’t miss her. I can’t wait for the next season to start, which I think will be late 2021. I hope they do more story development with Lucille and Cyril.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV