Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
NYU I believe

John Bon jovis son is in a dorm at notre dame
Chelsea Clinton and Brooke shields lived in dorms
Patrick Schwarzenegger is in a dorm at USC
Justin combs ... UCLA
Jasmine Jordan ... Syracuse

Even the Secret Service only "shadows" the kids of a former POTUS until the age of 16, NOW and b/c Obama signed HR. 6620, the “Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012,” which also gives Secret Service protection to former First Ladies and guarantees agents will continue to shadow children of former Presidents until they become 16 years of age.

Can't imagine that RHW kids are any more worthy of "security".

I heard Gigi attends New School?

And I've never heard of New School before.

It's ranked 100 colleges lower than NYU.

The largest state university in NJ is ranked 60+ above where "Gigi the Genius" is attending. She could have stayed in CA for that. Probably wanted to get as far away from her mother as possible and I don't blame her.

I'm so glad Yo got all of those painted tiles up on Gigi's wall...Gigi certainly couldn't have cared less and would have said she loved it had Yo nailed rotten lemons to the wall in the same pattern.

Anyway, I would never NOT make my freshman kid live in a dorm. College is about the education as much as it is about the experience of living on your own (with others) and dealing with life without your parents to reel you in. I went to college, Yo didn't graduate from HS. Yo has no clue how important that first year in college is to live in a dorm. College isn't HS where you live at home and have all the comforts and security of home. You make it that way.

Gigi is set up to be alienated, IMO, from her peers. In a dorm setting, you "hang out". Gigi will have to invite people over to hang out. Then again, she's dating some kid I've never heard of before - Cody Simpson. I'm sure they love to play "house" in Gigi's huge (and super $$$ for Manhattan) apartment. I hope Yo gave her a supply of condoms or she's on birth control.

I had to laugh that Yo thought Gigi needed her own place because she has to get up at 5am and work. Because changing clothes and getting your picture taken is sooooo hard? Some kids who pay their own way through college do the same thing, and don't get paid $2K to wake up.

Yo pushing the modeling over an education is annoying. Gigi's cute and photogenic, but if you have all of your teeth in your head and a symmetrical face....who isn't in this day and age with all of the photoshopping that goes on? We've all seen the celebrity "before photoshop" pics, no?

Then again, I don't think Yo gets the fact that Gigi might end up like she did if Gigi relies on modeling for a career...having to marry "rich men" to attain the lifestyle she felt she was entitled to because she was "a model".

I'm over Yo saying that she raises her kids to be "normal", because she really doesn't.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
NYU I believe

John Bon jovis son is in a dorm at notre dame
Chelsea Clinton and Brooke shields lived in dorms
Patrick Schwarzenegger is in a dorm at USC
Justin combs ... UCLA
Jasmine Jordan ... Syracuse

Who knows if they stayed in a dorm more than one semester --- also, keep in mind that many colleges have dorms with private rooms in them with private bathrooms so it's not like any of the people you mentioned were playing "bunkie" with some stranger.

I don't blame Yo. I know that if I had the money, my kid would be set up in her own place and not some tiny dorm room with a stranger. To me, that's not part of "the college experience". Sharing a bedroom with someone you don't know? Using a communal bathroom? Hoping you don't come back to your room only to find your stuff has been stolen? No privacy. If you need "quiet time" to study and the library is closed and your room-mate is an azz, then what? No... screw that. I'd rather have my child in her own private space and living like a human being and not like a boarder in some rooming house.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Who knows if they stayed in a dorm more than one semester --- also, keep in mind that many colleges have dorms with private rooms in them with private bathrooms so it's not like any of the people you mentioned were playing "bunkie" with some stranger.

I don't blame Yo. I know that if I had the money, my kid would be set up in her own place and not some tiny dorm room with a stranger. To me, that's not part of "the college experience". Sharing a bedroom with someone you don't know? Using a communal bathroom? Hoping you don't come back to your room only to find your stuff has been stolen? No privacy. If you need "quiet time" to study and the library is closed and your room-mate is an azz, then what? No... screw that. I'd rather have my child in her own private space and living like a human being and not like a boarder in some rooming house.

Yikes!!!

Did you go to college and live at the school provided housing? Doesn't sound like it.

Lots of "things" are not available to freshman and there is a reason for that. This includes suite living in most colleges. And not such a great thing to have to share one bathroom with 3 or 5 others as opposed to an entire floor of fellow students. Who do you blame for being messy? 20 girls or the other 5 or 3?

Cars aren't allowed for freshmen on most campuses, so they can't run home on weekends. Takes some time to adjust and figure out campus life.

No one steals your "stuff" to the point there should be a major concern, there are doors and locks on said doors. College kids aren't thieves because they live in a dorm.

If you need to study around your "azz" roommate, who is up doing some ungodly type of garbage in your shared room...trust me, there are many more places to study than a dorm room or the library that closes at 2am.

Last edited by Informed Info; 03-04-2014 at 11:32 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Emma Watson is in a dorm at brown

Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I agree. I haven't done it yet myself, but I was thinking back to when my mother dropped me at college. She was upbeat and positive, but looking back I bet she cried in the taxi leaving.
I guarantee you she did. And I wasn't without sympathy for Kim either; I know that she was really, really sad. Most parents are - especially their first kid; their only kid or their last kid! I was depressed the ENTIRE summer before he left and would cry at the drop of a hat. But the day I dropped him off 8 hours away - I knew I had to be strong FOR HIM. Because he was scared too. That was my only beef with Kim; she needed to be strong that day for her daughter. Like another poster said - it wasn't all about her that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Even the Secret Service only "shadows" the kids of a former POTUS until the age of 16, NOW and b/c Obama signed HR. 6620, the “Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012,” which also gives Secret Service protection to former First Ladies and guarantees agents will continue to shadow children of former Presidents until they become 16 years of age.

Can't imagine that RHW kids are any more worthy of "security".

I heard Gigi attends New School?

And I've never heard of New School before.

It's ranked 100 colleges lower than NYU.

The largest state university in NJ is ranked 60+ above where "Gigi the Genius" is attending. She could have stayed in CA for that. Probably wanted to get as far away from her mother as possible and I don't blame her.

I'm so glad Yo got all of those painted tiles up on Gigi's wall...Gigi certainly couldn't have cared less and would have said she loved it had Yo nailed rotten lemons to the wall in the same pattern.

Anyway, I would never NOT make my freshman kid live in a dorm. College is about the education as much as it is about the experience of living on your own (with others) and dealing with life without your parents to reel you in. I went to college, Yo didn't graduate from HS. Yo has no clue how important that first year in college is to live in a dorm. College isn't HS where you live at home and have all the comforts and security of home. You make it that way.

Gigi is set up to be alienated, IMO, from her peers. In a dorm setting, you "hang out". Gigi will have to invite people over to hang out. Then again, she's dating some kid I've never heard of before - Cody Simpson. I'm sure they love to play "house" in Gigi's huge (and super $$$ for Manhattan) apartment. I hope Yo gave her a supply of condoms or she's on birth control.

I had to laugh that Yo thought Gigi needed her own place because she has to get up at 5am and work. Because changing clothes and getting your picture taken is sooooo hard? Some kids who pay their own way through college do the same thing, and don't get paid $2K to wake up.

Yo pushing the modeling over an education is annoying. Gigi's cute and photogenic, but if you have all of your teeth in your head and a symmetrical face....who isn't in this day and age with all of the photoshopping that goes on? We've all seen the celebrity "before photoshop" pics, no?

Then again, I don't think Yo gets the fact that Gigi might end up like she did if Gigi relies on modeling for a career...having to marry "rich men" to attain the lifestyle she felt she was entitled to because she was "a model".

I'm over Yo saying that she raises her kids to be "normal", because she really doesn't.
Agree 100%. Not only was I glad my son is living in a dorm; I was also glad he was on an athletic team. Because that is a ready-made group of friends to hang out with - which is great for a freshman so far away from home AND another set of eyes on him (the coach) making sure he's getting good grades, etc.

Not to mention that living in a dorm room with another person - really, really teaches you how to get along; to be grateful for your first apartment of your own; and is simply part of the college experience for most of us.

The year after that - apartment is fine if they are ready.

Yo does not think Gigi should be mingling with the masses. I get that.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
My point of making the listing is that celebrities and children of celebrities do live in dorms. Simmer down.

The New School is this non traditional type college. It's where Inside the Actor's Studio is filmed. I don't want to say it's eccentric, but it sort of is … if GiGi is going to the New School, I can see why she's off campus and she won't be there for long.

Last edited by domergurl; 03-05-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM

If she's going to The New School, her apartment is probably somewhere in the East Village. From the quick looks of the neighborhood, I thought she might have been in SoHo or Gramercy but I could be wrong.

The New School offers 4 year degrees just like any other college so she may be there for the full four unless she takes the summer courses and graduates in 3 1/2.

Best of luck to her. She's going to love NYC!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM

295 posts, read 659,385 times
The New School is in the West Village so she may be living near there, which is even more expensive. And while we are talking about dorms and NYC, way back in 1979 I was dropped off at a NYU dorm and across the hall lived Bill De Blasio, the current mayor of NYC.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yikes!!!

Did you go to college and live at the school provided housing? Doesn't sound like it.

No. I had my own apartment and I graduated with my Bachelors in 3.5 years maintaining a 3.9 cumulative GPA, graduating with highest honors. I also worked a full-time job and was a volunteer tutor and ran study groups.

No one steals your "stuff" to the point there should be a major concern, there are doors and locks on said doors. College kids aren't thieves because they live in a dorm.

Oh really? Laptops aren't stolen? Jewelry and money aren't taken? Nonsense. There is theft all the time in college dorms. Why do you think they sell locks specifically marketed to college students where you can lock your laptop to your desk?

If you need to study around your "azz" roommate, who is up doing some ungodly type of garbage in your shared room...trust me, there are many more places to study than a dorm room or the library that closes at 2am.

How do you know what time the library closes at every college? The library at my college didn't close at 2am. It closed at 10pm.

Can someone give a clear explanation on how living in a dorm enhances your "college experience"??

Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,361 times
Quote:
There's a safety issue involved as well. Mohammed Hadid is worth a lot of money ($200+ Million) as are Yolanda & David Foster. She probably wants Gigi to be safe and not in a place where just anyone can walk into her room or take photos of her in the shower (blackmail) or get into her private things (blackmail) or do anything to hurt her.

What's so great, anyway, of experiencing the college dorms? She'll be able to make friends and have close friendships there without having to live in a cramped dorm room with someone she doesn't know.
Quote:

I don't know if people know this nationally, but there was a case of an ordinary student being secretly filmed in his shared dorm by his roommate having sex. You get stuck with any rando who may invite a parade of people in, leave the door open while they go off, brings drugs in and even stash them where you can be accused, or your roommate may have mental health issues. Dorms roommates are not checked for ANYTHING other than their ability to pay tuition and are a stupid risk in this day and age. She'll be a million times better off in her own place she can control.

Last edited by Ticatica; 03-05-2014 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV