Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Why not change the channel and complain to the FCC?
Primarily because in this country we have a 1st amendment right to freedom of speech and freedom of the press, so while I support your right to complain to the FCC, I'm not quite so sure that the FCC should have the power to do anything about it. If these shows are to be removed, it should come from the publics rejection of them and their normalization of immorality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That is probably a little extreme. "2 Broke Girls" and shows like it arent harming people like your other examples.
That's debatable. They promote things like promiscuity, abortion as a form of birth control which in turn promtes the idea that sex is an inconsequential act, excessive drug use and alcoholism, etc. Actions that are all harmful to a functional society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
change the channel and don't complain when the day comes when there is nothing on worth watching
I think that IS the complaint as it stands. You'd conisder this show and others like to be "worth watching"?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:13 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The FCC http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...raunchy-humor/ has been receiving complaints about 2 Broke Girls. This is family viewing time. With all the channels available to anyone sitting down to cable TV with a remote are the major networks being held to different standards? Should this be the parents responsibility ? Not the governments?
Some (many) people only have broadcast TV only 4 or so new show channels (the rest being weather and PBS channels).

These are the channels regulated by the feds. If 25% of the entertainment shows you can watch are non-family related crap, why not complain?

And yes, that show is terrible.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Some (many) people only have broadcast TV only 4 or so new show channels (the rest being weather and PBS channels).

These are the channels regulated by the feds. If 25% of the entertainment shows you can watch are non-family related crap, why not complain?

And yes, that show is terrible.
In this day and age, no one has only 4 channels to choose from. Even with an antenna people have 15 to 20 channels.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

That's debatable. They promote things like promiscuity, abortion as a form of birth control which in turn promtes the idea that sex is an inconsequential act, excessive drug use and alcoholism, etc. Actions that are all harmful to a functional society.
Come on. The person I was responding to originally equated this to slavery, child labor laws and women's rights.

I dont believe the show promotes anything (totally your right if you disagree). The show is a work of fiction that takes everything to the extreme. If someone is using it as a blueprint for their life, they have bigger problems than the state of tv today.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
In this day and age, no one has only 4 channels to choose from. Even with an antenna people have 15 to 20 channels.
Why do so many people make comments without even reading?

And 54M is not insignificant.

http://www.nab.org/documents/newsroo...lease.asp?id=2

Over-the-air TV Viewership Soars to 54 Million Americans

Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Why do so many people make comments without even reading?
Oh Im sorry professor what didnt I read?

You said "Some (many) people only have broadcast TV only 4 or so new show channels (the rest being weather and PBS channels)." and that simply isnt true. My tv with an antenna on it gets 15-20 channels and 3 are PBS and none are weather channels. Based on the posts I have seen from others it isnt true in their city either.

Thanks for the attempt at the lesson though smart ass.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Oh Im sorry professor what didnt I read?

You said "Some (many) people only have broadcast TV only 4 or so new show channels (the rest being weather and PBS channels)." and that simply isnt true. My tv with an antenna on it gets 15-20 channels and 3 are PBS and none are weather channels. Based on the posts I have seen from others it isnt true in their city either.

Thanks for the attempt at the lesson though smart ass.
Broadcast TV consists of... Network Broadcast channels 4-6 max
PBS 3-6 max
Weather Channels 3-4 max
Sales Channels 2-3 max
Retro TV Channels 3-4 max

The only new show channels are the Broadcast Networks

Thats typically all - Dumb ass.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Broadcast TV consists of... Network Broadcast channels 4-6 max
PBS 3-6 max
Weather Channels 3-4 max
Sales Channels 2-3 max
Retro TV Channels 3-4 max

The only new show channels are the Broadcast Networks

Thats typically all - Dumb ass.
If you say so dear.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Come on. The person I was responding to originally equated this to slavery, child labor laws and women's rights.
I agree that it isn't nearly as terrible as those things, but you said shows like that don't hurt anyone, and I described the ways in which I believe they do.

Quote:
If someone is using it as a blueprint for their life, they have bigger problems than the state of tv today
As I said to the last person who made the same argument you are making here..

Post#70:
I'm sure you may disagree but it is my opinion that someone's environment has a direct impact on shaping their moral compass.
It isn't enough to say that they weren't going in the right direction anyway. What we as a society are exposed to in our entertainment and popular culture among other places, influences what we are willing to accept as moral and right in real life. Take for instance, the depiction of smoking cigarettes in movies and TV; it has become frowned upon in recent years, because of the belief that popular culture influences young minds.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-25-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:

And many of those are just different affiliates of the same network. And btw, it's not a sure thing that you'll have that many channels. Much of that depends on where you live and a number of other variables like elevation, trees, etc. For example, when I had antenna only, I got maybe five channels. I live in a valley with hills all around and many trees. My freind on the other hand, who lives about ten minutes from me on top of the hill, has about fifty channels to choose from, and again, many of those are the same network, different affiliates i.e. same programming.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-25-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV