Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I was referring more to "sitcom" based shows. Even so, just look at your lists. Probably 70% of the shows listed contain either raunchy humor, murder, violence, and other crime.
You mean the crime procedurals? Do you think something like NCIS is so much different from Magnum PI or Hawaii 5-0 or Ironside or whatever from back in the day? There's no violence in shows like NCIS. The most violent they get is the cold open where the body is discovered or they show the crime happening. The rest is a solid hour of the good guys (mostly manly alpha men LOL) catching the bad guys. How is that "trash"? The only one that is "dark" is Criminal Minds.

Plus, really what we have dominating TV these days is football, competition shows (usually built around singing and dancing), crime procedurals where the good guys win while engaging in some amusing banter along the way, and reality shows that follow some family business around (Duck Dynasty is the latest big hit, but Pawn Stars was the big hit before them). There are some raunchy sitcoms thrown in but they don't dominate. Then you have the zombie show.

That's not a list dominated by smut.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
You mean the crime procedurals?

John Mulaney SVU - YouTube

Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Isn't it easier to just turn the channel rather than write the FCC? If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you don't want your kids to watch it, be a parent and don't let them. But don't try to get your moral compass pushed onto everybody else. Apparently there are people who like the show, pearl-clutchers be damned. Turn it to Disney if your old crotchety self can't handle it. Lawrence Welk might be on pbs. Enable the v chip on your TV. But don't go crying to the govt to be a parent for you. I'm so tired of the 'won't somebody think of the children?' spiel.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
. But don't try to get your moral compass pushed onto
everybody else
yeah because god knows they don't want it... Morals and values are such a bad thing in todays world, such an antiquated notion, huh?

Quote:
Turn it to Disney if your old crotchety self can't handle it.
LOL, you probably assume I'm an old, Christian, Republican don't you? It might interest you to know that I'm in my twenties, an Atheist and a Libertarian { NOT Liberal }. Just because I'm young, don't subscribe to any religion, and believe in freedom, doesn't mean I don't believe in decency and morality.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Folks have a right to complain. Let them exercise their right. The FCC will decide the outcome.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
Carterstamp---Thank you; the easiest solution is to change the channel, and that's been the case for several decades.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
Why not change the channel and complain to the FCC?

The argument "just turn the channel" doesn't strike me as a strategy that has moved society forward in anyway. I suppose if we were all 'just turn the channel'ers we'd still have..... child labor? No women's rights? Slavery? Its so passive, 'just don't participate dude'.

If people love this show just the way it is, they should write to defend it.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Why not change the channel and complain to the FCC?

The argument "just turn the channel" doesn't strike me as a strategy that has moved society forward in anyway. I suppose if we were all 'just turn the channel'ers we'd still have..... child labor? No women's rights? Slavery? Its so passive, 'just don't participate dude'.

If people love this show just the way it is, they should write to defend it.
That is probably a little extreme. "2 Broke Girls" and shows like it arent harming people like your other examples. This is more like my saying I like chocolate ice cream and you saying you like vanilla ice cream but since you dont like chocolate I have to have vanilla.

There are several hundred channels out there that fit everyone's needs. Just change the channel

Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
The logic stays the same; if you like something, say so to keep it around, if you don't, speak up to improve it
or
just change the channel and don't complain when the day comes when there is nothing on worth watching

Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The link to story was taken down (no surprise it on Faux) What is the complaint?
Children are being tied up and forced to watch Two Broke Girls, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV