Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Jamie calls Claire a pet name, sounds like, Sesna? Does anyone know what that means?
It's Sassanach, and it is Gaelic for outlander. It basically means she's English. Mostly it was a bad thing to be called by the Highlanders at the time, but he uses it as a term of endearment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,261 times
Claire really is totally unlikable. I keep trying to like her...but...nope. It just gets worse.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Claire really is totally unlikable. I keep trying to like her...but...nope. It just gets worse.
I agree.

For instance, talking about Gaelis again - before Jamie left, he gave Claire specific instructions to avoid interacting with Gaelis. The minute she gets a random note supposedly from this woman who she doesn't even know very well, she immediately high tails it into town to "help," endangering the lives of others and herself (again). You'd think she'd have gotten the memo after her own capture shortly before, but no.

And I thought her red dress was also in very poor taste. I'm starting to think she's an idiot.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Geeze, I love Claire, and everything about her, except, when she acts out before thinking, and gets others in trouble...but I love her confidence, and even her arrogance at times....

For me, she is a very likable character, and Jamie sure does agree....
she is completely comfortable in her skin...unlike most women...
however, new generations seem to be producing more and more women like her...(our modern day women) Claire to me, demonstrates a certain mystic about her, she is not into drama at all, says it like it is, and being she traveled world wide as a child and was raised by an uncle, that proves, the reason for her so called arrogance....she is extremely confident...and also body confident.

She is not oversexualized, and very smart...she's got it all...and a perfect match for Jamie....as he to is extremely confident.

I believe Claire is the kind of woman who intimidates most other women...they take her as being arrogant, when in fact, she is just so comfortable with who she is.

I believe they make a stunning couple....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-18-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 08:06 AM

I personally think Jamie has a better personality and better character.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree.

For instance, talking about Gaelis again - before Jamie left, he gave Claire specific instructions to avoid interacting with Gaelis. The minute she gets a random note supposedly from this woman who she doesn't even know very well, she immediately high tails it into town to "help," endangering the lives of others and herself (again). You'd think she'd have gotten the memo after her own capture shortly before, but no.

And I thought her red dress was also in very poor taste. I'm starting to think she's an idiot.
That dress was ridiculous. Was it 4 ft wide?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Geeze, I love Claire, and everything about her, except, when she acts out before thinking, and gets others in trouble...but I love her confidence, and even her arrogance at times....

For me, she is a very likable character, and Jamie sure does agree....
she is completely comfortable in her skin...unlike most women...
however, new generations seem to be producing more and more women like her...(our modern day women) Claire to me, demonstrates a certain mystic about her, she is not into drama at all, says it like it is, and being she traveled world wide as a child and was raised by an uncle, that proves, the reason for her so called arrogance....she is extremely confident...and also body confident.

She is not oversexualized, and very smart...she's got it all...and a perfect match for Jamie....as he to is extremely confident.

I believe Claire is the kind of woman who intimidates most other women...they take her as being arrogant, when in fact, she is just so comfortable with who she is.

I believe they make a stunning couple....
Well, at least some one out there likes her.

I believe you can be all those things above as a woman and not come across as arrogant and pompous. Which is how I see her.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Well, at least some one out there likes her.

I believe you can be all those things above as a woman and not come across as arrogant and pompous. Which is how I see her.
An arrogant person only feels smart if someone else feels stupid. Their sense of themselves depends on thinking less of someone else. Clair does not carry that heir. Arrogance also insists on correcting other people’s grammar or showing them their flaws, as it’s the only way they can feel an approximation of confidence. Arrogance is about intent: its when ability is used to look down on others.

A confident person feels competent from the inside out. She uses her talents to genuinely try to be of use, or to succeed at the task at hand. (Claire is hungry for knowledge) She may seek external validation, but she certainly doesn't depend on it to define her sense of ability or nature.

She is a unique beauty, both inside and out, the more I get to know her, the more beauty she emanates. Her quick witted sharp tongue, sensuality, fierceness and intellect, attracts men like bees to honey, while her forthrightness might not...especially during the 18th century. Heck, even some men in this day and age would be intimidated by her. Independent women scares most men...and other women. Hence, What one doesn't understand, one tears apart.

Her beauty lies much deeper then physical..self-awareness and a certain attitude that overlays appearance and radiates outwards. It's as strong or stronger than any physical attribute, and while it can't be seen, it is felt by most who encounter her. Claire definitely has it and it informs the descriptions and reactions that men ascribe to her.

I love her character, which to me, makes Jamie and her a great fit...(in more ways then one (wink))
She is not the kind of woman to sit around popping out kids, which Jamie wouldn't be attracted to...and she knows how to keep the seduction going, being extremely versatile and that compelling essence she owns, and owns well, while her awareness, will keep her interesting and youthful to any man who adores her.

Her red dress was bold and sassy, which once again, Jamie loved, even though when he first saw her, was a lot embarrassed, but the way she wore it, made the dress in itself, unique. Remember, as a man, Jamie knows that other men won't be able to keep their eyes off of her, and knows she is his...which is what he also loves about her.

Jamie loves everything about her, he is encompassed by her and trusts her as much as he trusts himself, b/c he knows, she loves him more then life itself, as he also does her. The love they share is extremely rare, and I don't believe Claire's love for Frank even comes close to what she shares with Jamie.

And perhaps that is what also pulled Claire into Jamie's time, because they are indeed soul mates, which makes perfect sense as to why his ghost was standing beneath her window, watching her...loving her, wanting her, compelled to be with her at all costs. (not even death can tear down this house)

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-18-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM

She's just not very likable to me. That's not saying she doesn't have good attributes. Of course she does.

I thought her stint as a performer in the traveling show was particularly pitiful. The woman is sorely lacking in the sense of humor department and takes herself waaayyyyyyy too seriously.

And I thought her dress was inappropriate. You don't have to show all you've got (not that she has that much in the bust department) in order to be very alluring. My husband, who greatly appreciates nice breasts and feminine allure, thought the dress was ridiculous.

Both these characters are fictional. Of course Jamie is going to continue to be smitten by her and put up with things that an 18th century gentleman probably would not appreciate or tolerate - it's fiction. I'm just finding their characters more and more unbelievable as the series goes on.

In defense of the series, I do think the books do a better job of explaining the mindset and moral situations of the characters than the TV series. That's not surprising.

In spite of my growing distaste for Claire, I am still enjoying the series.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
KathrynAragon

In spite of my growing distaste for Claire, I am still enjoying the series.
Glad you are, for me, this show is definitely my favorite show....couldn't wait for it to come back on...
while growing more and more impatient...lol

and while the show is purely fictional, it always brings to mind for me, someone who was very near and dear to me, a long time ago. Maybe that is why I love it so much...b/c I knew that kind of love.....once....

the writers for me, have done a marvelous job, so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV