Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I didn't see Broadchurch, so don't have any idea how that played out. I just watched the last episode of Gracepoint. Wasn't the phone number on the scrap of paper found in Danny's pocket the psychic's number?

This moves so slowly--they sure are dragging it out---wish it were more rapid pace and fewer episodes. Still a lot of questions unanswered.

Does anyone know what is wrong (illness) with the lead detective?
Broadchurch was also slow and drawn out. Billing it as a mystery causes a lot of problems for it -- it's a character study of a community put under great duress and what it does to people. And it's a little painful to watch.

Sort of like calling Twin Peaks a mystery. Wasn't really one. In the end, David Lynch gave us a murderer because the public demanded it -- I don't think it was ever something he thought needed to be solved. To him Laura Palmer's murder was the Maguffin.

But back to Broadchurch -- for me it didn't work as a mystery, because I figured out who did it for some reason about the 5th episode in, and so did my husband.

The producers of Gracepoint have said there are changes, so I may stick in, but it's not going well and very much like Broadchurch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:43 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
I watched last night and I was not impressed. I am having a hard time liking any of the characters.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
I don't like to speculate here because so many have seen Broadchurch and know way more than I. It looks to me like the female detective's son knows a lot more than he is saying.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I don't like to speculate here because so many have seen Broadchurch and know way more than I. It looks to me like the female detective's son knows a lot more than he is saying.
An earlier episode showed him erasing all his phone contacts with the victim and all his computer files. Kid is definitely hiding something significant.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,681 times
I think there's a drug ring the kids were involved in, most likely the kid's parents who ran it on the side. The kids were the runners and someone was pissed and killed the boy to send a message. That's why he's on video late that night skateboarding with a backpack. What else would he be doing?

Just my opinions

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
This is such a weird show, Anna Gunn's character is such an unprofessional, whiny for a supposed cop. And the other lead (male) tries so hard at the angry guy with something to hide it doesn't even fit with the show, it almost wants to be more interesting than the story of the murder.

The dialog is really lame. The "Eager Beaver" exchange was awkward and then he whines about "why is there so much water everywhere" and Gunn says "it's called the ocean" Is that supposed to be funny?

Very shaky, I'll watch this episode and decide. But I think it's a loser.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is such a weird show, Anna Gunn's character is such an unprofessional, whiny for a supposed cop. And the other lead (male) tries so hard at the angry guy with something to hide it doesn't even fit with the show, it almost wants to be more interesting than the story of the murder.

The dialog is really lame. The "Eager Beaver" exchange was awkward and then he whines about "why is there so much water everywhere" and Gunn says "it's called the ocean" Is that supposed to be funny?

Very shaky, I'll watch this episode and decide. But I think it's a loser.
I am going to stick with it because it is only 10 episodes and I want to see how it comes out. If it were a regular series I would have been done with it by now.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,014 times
The actors in this version are just not able pull it off as well as the British cast did. Olivia Coleman was superb in Broadchurch but Anna Gunn just makes the dialog seem strangely off.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I am going to stick with it because it is only 10 episodes and I want to see how it comes out. If it were a regular series I would have been done with it by now.
This is a good conclusion and lends itself to why I have chosen not to watch until the last episode. That is, I saw the Brit version. If you don't prefer football then this show is a good choice. Hang in there...

Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,681 times
You guys are so insightful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV