Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM

45 posts, read 152,286 times

Advertisements

OOOHHHH! That explains a lot! My Husband would love a Bon Jovi week! He is such a fan! AI really needs to go back to the drawing board for next season (if there is one). I thought that they said this season had more talent than any before. Yikes!
Bon Jovi! Bon Jovi! Bon Jovi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
What has happend to this show? It's terrible. The contestants are awful. The songs/genres they have to sing are even worse. Nygel, if you are reading this please please please have more current and relevent "theme" nights. This is the most suckiest season yet - 2 weeks of Paul McCartney and Beatles music, Songs from the year you were born, Dolly Parton night, Neil Diamond night, Andrew Lloyd Weber night. Geez. Whats next Neil Sedaka or songs from Bing Crosby?

Here is the lineup for the next couple of weeks and next seasons show:

Songs from 1930s
Songs from 1940s
Elevator music
Neil Sedaka
Big Bands

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 AM

Default How to fix Idol

Some ideas to make Idol as good as it used to be:

1. Create a new Idol show - "Country Idol". This is where all the little wannabe country singers will go instead of the "American Idol" pop music show. Nothing brings the show down more than someone singing country. No more country singers on the show - period. Country has a huge audience so lets give them their own show. Its awful that the country crowd are voting for "the country girl" and keeping her on the show when she's an awful singer.

2. Cannot sing slow song two weeks in a row. This will get rid of the boring, slow, sit down on a stool while singing performances (Castro, Archuleta) that bring the party train to a halt. How many pop or top 20 songs out now are slow ballads? Very few.

3. Lets try to get more variety on the "Theme" nights and have better mentors. Not just the old fogey performers who are only liked by the 60+ crowd. I would love to see a Parliament/Funkadelic, Prince, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn night instead of Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Andrew Lloyd Webber. How awesome it would this be: "Singing Parliament/Funkadelic's "We Want The Funk" is David Cook".

Some suggestions for theme nights:

Prince Music
Stevie Ray Vaughn Music
George Clinton (Funkadelic and Parliament) Music
Seattle Grunge Music (NIN, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam)
Van Halen Music
Swing band/BeBop music (Stray Cats, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy)
Performer's Choice - Constestant can sing ANYTHING they want

Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
DaBeez, do you not remember how hard it was for them to get Prince on for a performance during the finale a couple years ago? Not to mention, the performers only want to come on when they have an album to pimp. And they need to have some credibility as artists to mentor the kids. I know some of the shows have been kind of dull but the people are dull....not much personality happening this year other than DC!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
DaBeez, do you not remember how hard it was for them to get Prince on for a performance during the finale a couple years ago? Not to mention, the performers only want to come on when they have an album to pimp. And they need to have some credibility as artists to mentor the kids. I know some of the shows have been kind of dull but the people are dull....not much personality happening this year other than DC!
I know. At least they can have better genre nights. Carly, David Cook and the black girl who was voted off a few weeks ago(cant remember her name) were the best singers this year. How did we get stuck with the likes of Castro and Archuleta? They are boring. Boring. If they were performing in my neighborhood coffee shop I would walk out.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I have to say this season is boring. However, I think it was very good when they arrived at the final 12-- they have clearly weeded out the weak ones. After that moment though, they all just froze. No one is improving, no one is wowing, they are all singing these humdrum safe songs. If they try to impress they blow it big time. Except for the clear winner that is David Cook.

I do think alot of it has to do with the themes, Neil diamond?? The Beetles two weeks in a row? What happened to having judges pick songs, or picking billboard chart toppers? How good can they do when they are singing Niel Diamond or Myriah Carey? While talented, the artists they are chosing for themes are not working.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL;
Maybe it's just ME, but they could END the show tomorrow night and I don't think anyone would be sad ;-0 This is truly the WORST season so far!
It's just you. David A for President!

PS: my impression of everyone else on this forum thread: blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah... David A is so annoying... blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah... David C sounds like Daughtrey... and is sooo HOT!!!!!!!! blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah and will win American Idol.

Oh, and Paula can see into the futurefuturefuture... XD

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-30-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: I beg to differ.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Just once Id like to see Archuleta sing an uptempo song. He hasnt done one yet.

My 12 year old had the wife and I laughing the other day when he said how terrible most of the guys on the show are and how gross they are because they act and look like girls. He said David Cook is the only "guy" left on the show and that he hopes the remaining "girls" all lose.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Thumbs up Lots of GREAT posts and I agree with most of y'all :-0

I do feel bad for the contestants, as the majority of song choices/mentors seem kind of 'out there' (imo) ! But DaBeez, please DO NOT go giving the AI Execs any more bad 'ideas' !!! Haven't we been tortured enough this season already ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
What has happend to this show? It's terrible. The contestants are awful. The songs/genres they have to sing are even worse. Nygel, if you are reading this please please please have more current and relevent "theme" nights. This is the most suckiest season yet - 2 weeks of Paul McCartney and Beatles music, Songs from the year you were born, Dolly Parton night, Neil Diamond night, Andrew Lloyd Weber night. Geez. Whats next Neil Sedaka or songs from Bing Crosby?

Here is the lineup for the next couple of weeks and next seasons show:

Songs from 1930s
Songs from 1940s
Elevator music
Neil Sedaka
Big Bands
McGowdog (my arch enemy )!!!! I've sent a 'private' DM to your Missus to let her know that you are playing around on CDF instead of working on your HONEY DO List !!! I expect you to be BEE-Z for quite awhile and unable to push your little David A on all of us David C fans !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

PS: my impression of everyone else on this forum thread: blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah... David A is so annoying... blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah... David C sounds like Daughtrey... and is sooo HOT!!!!!!!! blah blu blah blah blu blah blah blu blah and will win American Idol.

Okay, I saw this article yesterday, but was 2 BEE-Z to post it . Hopefully all the naysayers will see that it is NOT only me who notices that this season is in trouble :

RETHINKING 'IDOL' - New York Post

"THE producers of "American Idol" - worried about sink ing ratings - are considering some major changes to the show, including making the auditions flashbacks.

Execs for Fox have quietly begun taking audience surveys to see how fans might react to a number of changes in the hit show's format, according to a report yesterday. "

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I know. At least they can have better genre nights. Carly, David Cook and the black girl who was voted off a few weeks ago(cant remember her name) were the best singers this year. How did we get stuck with the likes of Castro and Archuleta? They are boring. Boring. If they were performing in my neighborhood coffee shop I would walk out.
Honey, you forget the power lies in the texting fools that are the tweens and teens in our country They don't hear them....they see them. Jason is just dreamy with his eyes and perfect skin and Archie is just so SWEEEEEEEET. David Cook is the bad boy they all would be afraid to take home to dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV