Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 05:05 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times

Advertisements

my question is has this sort of thing been going on for awhile at that school thus the father of the girl talking to Taylors mother about the abusive teacher and the going ons at that school .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:07 PM

389 posts, read 422,549 times
Wow! Do HS boys really talk about girls that way????? That conversation was sickening. Momma and Daddy may have think they raised a little angel, but an 18 yo that talks about "b$tches got get what b$tches get" has some really issues to deal with.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Wow! Do HS boys really talk about girls that way????? That conversation was sickening. Momma and Daddy may have think they raised a little angel, but an 18 yo that talks about "b$tches got get what b$tches get" has some really issues to deal with.
Yes, unfortunately, I've heard some of either gender that age say worse things and not care who is in earshot.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Okay. I really need some help with the racial situation at Marshall. I'm trying to understand the Latino students/families.

First, in that school board meeting, they all agreed that the schools would serve free breakfast to all of the students. The only caveat was that the breakfast had to be served before 1st period. The Latino administrator insisted that breakfast be served during 1st period because serving breakfast earlier would negatively affect Latino families. However, she didn't offer any explanation as to why Latino families couldn't come before 1st period like everyone else. Then she called everyone a racist.

Then the fight. The principal is alerted to a situation in the hall. He walks up and sees multiple Latino students clearly beating one Black boy. From his POV, it's clear that the Latino students were working together and jumped the one boy. He breaks up the fight and reprimands the people he witnessed as the aggressors, the Latino students. The Latino students then bring up old issues and conflicts with the Black boy that were never reported to any school official. The principal can only "rule" on what he saw in front of him, which were the Latino students in the wrong. Then they call the principal a racist and start protesting.

I really want to be sympathetic to the Latino POV but I don't see any racism. Am I missing something?

Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I wondered that or some other OCD thing going on. I too was sickened by what Eric did, but not unsympathetic, I still think all involved are just totally messed up in the head. Taylor of course is bearing the worst of the brunt of it all though it seems at this point, though I would still like to know what he means buy he lied. I can't say I am pleased with the turn of events but, the show is still interesting, but, the team going after Taylor, that whole thing and where it's going just turned my stomach so bad, it made me feel like not wanting to continue watching the show. The oldest kid, Kevin, I think his name is, is quite the manipulator,shows how the character of many a NFL wife beater's gets their world view of women and a few other matters for one. But he set the stage for the rest of the team to go after Taylor, not they needed a lot of motivation, but, He did encourage it.
I do not think Kevin shows how the character of some of the NFL abusers gets their world view of women...I don't think this is even about his view of women. It's about feeling entitled to all things, and it's an entitlement created by his parents, especially his mom. She's got the attitude of "I'm better than you", and a disdain for white people. The mother has an image she wants to maintain and no one, not even her son, is going to screw that up for her. She's worked too hard to get where she is. Her son is going places, because she's worked hard to give him the best of everything in life and she will not allow him to compromise that. She will buy whomever and whatever it takes to keep her family's image untarnished, even if that means buying her son the best attorney possible.

Using NFL players is unfair and biased. Is that to say MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA athletes, not to mention celebrities or politicians are never abusive? Most domestic abuse happens in the general population and crosses all socioeconomic boundaries. The number of professional athletes or other luminaries who abuse women are an extremely small percentage when compared to the rate of violence in the general population. The famous are the ones who make the news, so it seems like there are a lot of them. The women who die from abuse are rarely the wives or girlfriends of celebrities; they are women who are invisible.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
She's got the attitude of "I'm better than you", and a disdain for white people.
What? Terri doesn't have a disdain for white people. She's just a Black woman responding to the realities of being a Black woman in America. She's protecting her son. While I think her methods are "off," we can't deny that a young Black man can be victimized by the system if no one was being a strong advocate for him. She's in 'mama bear' mode.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
I do not think Kevin shows how the character of some of the NFL abusers gets their world view of women...I don't think this is even about his view of women. It's about feeling entitled to all things, and it's an entitlement created by his parents, especially his mom. She's got the attitude of "I'm better than you", and a disdain for white people. The mother has an image she wants to maintain and no one, not even her son, is going to screw that up for her. She's worked too hard to get where she is. Her son is going places, because she's worked hard to give him the best of everything in life and she will not allow him to compromise that. She will buy whomever and whatever it takes to keep her family's image untarnished, even if that means buying her son the best attorney possible.

Using NFL players is unfair and biased. Is that to say MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA athletes, not to mention celebrities or politicians are never abusive? Most domestic abuse happens in the general population and crosses all socioeconomic boundaries. The number of professional athletes or other luminaries who abuse women are an extremely small percentage when compared to the rate of violence in the general population. The famous are the ones who make the news, so it seems like there are a lot of them. The women who die from abuse are rarely the wives or girlfriends of celebrities; they are women who are invisible.
You are right when I used the NFL as an example, I admit I'm not good with sports legs references, I was thinking of recent headlines and what, I've personally witnessed and heard some of what passes for conversations between some of these folks and since we are in a thread focused on a tv show featuring youth on a sports, that's where I was directing my thoughts the tv show is primarily dealing with attitudes of youth and mindsets among that set and this episode focus quite a bit on the locker room talk. If you think conversations of that nature don't take place, you are kidding yourself. The entitlement is a part of what is taught to a lot of these young players and many of them do take that with them on to the fields and into their life, not all, but quite a few. Some recruiters use all kinds of things including sexual explicit language about young women to recruit some young unthinking men. The entitlement may not only be about women, but, it also includes how he might go into the future and treat women and that attitude is what supports part of what takes place on the show when it comes to rape. These influences all work together to form the attitudes of entitlement of everything, including other peoples bodies.

I know what I said doesn't go for all who are part of these sports leagues, not even most, but, there are enough issues within to reference it. There are plenty of great people in sports who were raised respectfully never do any of the negative things discussed here in this thread or seen on the TV show, but, we're talking about those who slip through the cracks at the moment.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:34 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:

If anything, Teri has a disdain for black people.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Okay. I really need some help with the racial situation at Marshall. I'm trying to understand the Latino students/families.

First, in that school board meeting, they all agreed that the schools would serve free breakfast to all of the students. The only caveat was that the breakfast had to be served before 1st period. The Latino administrator insisted that breakfast be served during 1st period because serving breakfast earlier would negatively affect Latino families. However, she didn't offer any explanation as to why Latino families couldn't come before 1st period like everyone else. Then she called everyone a racist.

Then the fight. The principal is alerted to a situation in the hall. He walks up and sees multiple Latino students clearly beating one Black boy. From his POV, it's clear that the Latino students were working together and jumped the one boy. He breaks up the fight and reprimands the people he witnessed as the aggressors, the Latino students. The Latino students then bring up old issues and conflicts with the Black boy that were never reported to any school official. The principal can only "rule" on what he saw in front of him, which were the Latino students in the wrong. Then they call the principal a racist and start protesting.

I really want to be sympathetic to the Latino POV but I don't see any racism. Am I missing something?
I think the first part has to do with the time the buses get there. From where they live they don't get there early enough?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 AM

389 posts, read 422,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
If anything, Teri has a disdain for black people.
I get the impression that she doesn't really like anyone but herself. Maybe her husband???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV