Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times

Advertisements

What has Terri done to indicate she's trying to be better than white people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What has Terri done to indicate she's trying to be better than white people?
I don't have an answer to that question, but if you go back to the first act of Episode 3, in the restaurant scene, you can watch as Terri reveals herself to be an equal-opportunity hater. She's better than everyone, in her opinion.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:16 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,927 times
The person that I dislike the most on this show is Eric's mom. First of all, she acted like Eric would be better off dead because he's gay, and I really think that she's trying to turn her other son against him too! Also, she actually had the nerve to ask her ex-husband if he had molested their son, why would she even think that? She just seems like a really cruel woman whose respectability at church is more important than her family.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
The person that I dislike the most on this show is Eric's mom. First of all, she acted like Eric would be better off dead because he's gay, and I really think that she's trying to turn her other son against him too! Also, she actually had the nerve to ask her ex-husband if he had molested their son, why would she even think that? She just seems like a really cruel woman whose respectability at church is more important than her family.
Unfortunately those kind of views about people who don't live according to such individuals believe system are treated that way by a large portion of the population in our society. In fact such beliefs are often taught and encouraged in some church groups similar to Eric's family's. I remember being exposed to such hatred in a bible study group I belonged to many years ago, the pastor's wife lead the group and she was one of the worst, she would talk about her disgust for her brother who she was estranged from because he was gay. After hearing more of these views and views about women who deserved to, having been raped, I was out of there. I couldn't believe the things I was hearing and these people seemed completely rational and sane in the light of day. Scary thing those teachings aren't all that uncommon.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:36 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Unfortunately those kind of views about people who don't live according to such individuals believe system are treated that way by a large portion of the population in our society. In fact such beliefs are often taught and encouraged in some church groups similar to Eric's family's. I remember being exposed to such hatred in a bible study group I belonged to many years ago, the pastor's wife lead the group and she was one of the worst, she would talk about her disgust for her brother who she was estranged from because he was gay. After hearing more of these views and views about women who deserved to, having been raped, I was out of there. I couldn't believe the things I was hearing and these people seemed completely rational and sane in the light of day. Scary thing those teachings aren't all that uncommon.

I know what you mean, kids hear hate speech in schools, on TV, in churches, etc.. all of the time so it's no surprise that LGBT kids have such a high suicide rate. It's really sad!

Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
I finally got to watch the last episode. I don't know what to think, except that every character is a caricature. I understand they do this to make a point, but it is a little annoying at times. The reaction of the gay journalist to Eric's language just seemed very unrealistic. You know someone who had to come out at some time in his past is going to be more understanding than that.

And the Latinos at the school protest. It just didn't make sense. The Latino boys clearly deserved to be suspended. Even if the black boy said something and the other kids thought they were saving Evy's honor, that gives the principal no grounds to suspend the black kid. Words are different than assault. This wouldn't even be an issue at our local school. Everyone would recognize that laying hands on someone is going to result in suspension. I just think the whole storyline was thrown in to add more racial tension to an already overcrowded plot. There are too many messages.

Rape, but not just any rape...homosexual rape. No , wait! Maybe not even rape, but the question of was he asking for it? Taylor's mom on a mission to punish the school. The principal on a mission to keep the school from scandal and lawsuits. The kid being mad about his father figure saying something about queers long before he knew about Taylor (even though he seemed pretty accepting of him after finding out). Doesn't the kid recognize that?

The other school chanting Gayland. That seemed really over the top to me, though I guess it could happen. And the basketball team accepting Eric as being Eric, but having him set up Taylor For a beating. That was strange. I hated that little speech by Kevin. I wish the dialogue was better, because the way they make these kids talk is almost unintelligible. I got the gist of what he was saying, but half the time the dialogue doesn't make sense. Evy talks that way too.

The mom who wished her son succeeded in his suicide because she would not have to live with the public shame of having a gay son. I don't know how I would feel if my son turned out to be gay, but I can guarantee it would include acceptance and happiness that at least he didn't succeed in killing himself. I have no respect for that type of selfishness, especially by a mother.

One thing for sure, they don't make it easy to watch this show.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times
I hope this whole story hasn't been leading up to a Columbine situation.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I finally got to watch the last episode. I don't know what to think, except that every character is a caricature. I understand they do this to make a point, but it is a little annoying at times. The reaction of the gay journalist to Eric's language just seemed very unrealistic. You know someone who had to come out at some time in his past is going to be more understanding than that.

And the Latinos at the school protest. It just didn't make sense. The Latino boys clearly deserved to be suspended. Even if the black boy said something and the other kids thought they were saving Evy's honor, that gives the principal no grounds to suspend the black kid. Words are different than assault. This wouldn't even be an issue at our local school. Everyone would recognize that laying hands on someone is going to result in suspension. I just think the whole storyline was thrown in to add more racial tension to an already overcrowded plot. There are too many messages.

Rape, but not just any rape...homosexual rape. No , wait! Maybe not even rape, but the question of was he asking for it? Taylor's mom on a mission to punish the school. The principal on a mission to keep the school from scandal and lawsuits. The kid being mad about his father figure saying something about queers long before he knew about Taylor (even though he seemed pretty accepting of him after finding out). Doesn't the kid recognize that?

The other school chanting Gayland. That seemed really over the top to me, though I guess it could happen. And the basketball team accepting Eric as being Eric, but having him set up Taylor For a beating. That was strange. I hated that little speech by Kevin. I wish the dialogue was better, because the way they make these kids talk is almost unintelligible. I got the gist of what he was saying, but half the time the dialogue doesn't make sense. Evy talks that way too.

The mom who wished her son succeeded in his suicide because she would not have to live with the public shame of having a gay son. I don't know how I would feel if my son turned out to be gay, but I can guarantee it would include acceptance and happiness that at least he didn't succeed in killing himself. I have no respect for that type of selfishness, especially by a mother.

One thing for sure, they don't make it easy to watch this show.
Careful, lest someone accuse you of lacking the ability to reason.

----------------------------------------------

What was the deal with Eric and the dude that picked him up? The guy was beating up on Eric and Eric stabbed him?

That seemed so random to me.

So, Taylor made his kill list, then shot some random dude from the team?

Loved the actress who played Taylor's mom. She acted the hell out of that last scene.

Love Regina King, but I am not sure where Terri's character is going at this point.

Did Terri's husband leak the medical records?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Random? Wasn't that one of the kids that beat him up?

And he threatened to kill him.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So, Taylor made his kill list, then shot some random dude from the team?
Wasn't his name (Wes) on the list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV