Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was. Why doubt me. I've thought in legal terms while watching the entire program. Crime is only crime when a court says it's a crime.

The show is called American Crime. Not American Emotional Outrage.

If I was on a jury, I would need more to convict than a random vent. We have all vented about punching someone or saying "he should die." We wouldn't expect that our friend sitting next to us would actually go out and do it.

But hey, if you want to believe people don't have free will or free choice, go right ahead.
Who said that they did not have free will or choice? Do not put words in my mouth.

The boys chose to go beat up Taylor. But would they have done so had Kevin not incited them to do so?

If you think that vent was random, you have not been paying close attention.

Seriously, you try to come off as deep, but your posts are anything but.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
I think the entire point of the title and the past season and this is that crime exists in so many levels and intensities--even when people don't realize or accept that what they are doing IS a crime...
The teens at the party didn't think their actions constituted a crime...
Eric says he didn't see his actions as a crime...
Taylor's girlfriend believes his version but didn't see anything to corroborate it
Taylor's uncle could have had a trigger lock on that gun and had key on his key ring so Taylor could have found the gun and not been able to use it...
The Uncle's crime was not ensuring that gun was only available for HIS use...and he could be charged with negligence and facilitating Taylor's crime if the prosecutor wanted to be aggressive...

And the purpose is to get us to question what we view as a "crime" and our own culpability in "crimes" we may commit...or may allow others to commit...

Old 02-28-2016, 11:28 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think the entire point of the title and the past season and this is that crime exists in so many levels and intensities--even when people don't realize or accept that what they are doing IS a crime...
Taylor's girlfriend believes his version but didn't see anything to corroborate it
Taylor's uncle could have had a trigger lock on that gun and had key on his key ring so Taylor could have found the gun and not been able to use it...
The Uncle's crime was not ensuring that gun was only available for HIS use...and he could be charged with negligence and facilitating Taylor's crime if the prosecutor wanted to be aggressive...

And the purpose is to get us to question what we view as a "crime" and our own culpability in "crimes" we may commit...or may allow others to commit...
Terrific summation of the show.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:

Why should Taylor's uncle have a trigger lock when there are no children living in his house? If the prosecutors wanted to make a case of that, then I would hope the Grand Jury would refuse to indict.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why should Taylor's uncle have a trigger lock when there are no children living in his house? If the prosecutors wanted to make a case of that, then I would hope the Grand Jury would refuse to indict.
ANYBODY could have broken into that house to steal anything of value
People experience burglaries all the time all over the country
The fact that the plot was specific to Taylor getting a gun, that he knew someone with a gun, meant this wasn't random but most home break-ins ARE random...
A trigger lock is such inexpensive but effective method of rendering a gun inoperable
Yes they can be knocked out but might damage the gun doing so...
Gun safes can just be carried off site unless they are bolted down and most smaller ones aren't
Just like you are only considering keeping children from getting a gun, I would say keep anyone from having access to guns wo owner's oversight...
If YOU own a gun, it is your responsibility to keep that gun out of any hands but yours...

Last edited by loves2read; 02-29-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 02:02 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
The fact that the plot was specific to Taylor getting a gun, that he knew someone with a gun, meant this wasn't random but most home break-ins ARE random...
A trigger lock is such inexpensive but effective method of rendering a gun inoperable
Gun safes can just be carried off site unless they are bolted down and most smaller ones aren't
Just like you are only considering keeping children from getting a gun, I would say keep anyone from having access to guns wo owner's oversight...
If YOU own a gun, it is your responsibility to keep that gun out of any hands but yours...
Since no burglar has a right to be in my home, it is NOT my responsibility to make sure my gun is inoperable. It kind of defeats the point if you ask me. What if someone is breaking in when I'm home, and the trigger lock keeps ME from using my gun for protection? If I had children in the house, I would take the risk and put a lock on it, but if I didn't have kids it isn't my duty to do that.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:47 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Since no burglar has a right to be in my home, it is NOT my responsibility to make sure my gun is inoperable. It kind of defeats the point if you ask me. What if someone is breaking in when I'm home, and the trigger lock keeps ME from using my gun for protection? If I had children in the house, I would take the risk and put a lock on it, but if I didn't have kids it isn't my duty to do that.
Also, as far as we know, those people had no reason to expect that Taylor was going to come over to steal their gun. (I'll let the fact that the woman didn't react to Taylor's actions -- obviously he wasn't using the bathroom -- slide for the time being.)

Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM

It doesn't matter that someone who breaks into your house is breaking the law...or that you aren't aware or don't want that gun to be stolen---you buy a gun, you own the responsibility for its use...
That is it...bottom line...
If you can't OWN that, then don't own a gun...

Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter that someone who breaks into your house is breaking the law...or that you aren't aware or don't want that gun to be stolen---you buy a gun, you own the responsibility for its use...
That is it...bottom line...

If you can't OWN that, then don't own a gun...
Legally?

Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Quote:
I take it you don't own a gun for protection?

A gun in the house with a trigger lock is about as useful as a head of lettuce if someone breaks into the house at night. Similar to carrying a semi-auto handgun without a round in the chamber. And if someone breaks in at night they are, in my mind, a target, and I will do my best to make sure they do NOT walk out. I have no kids in the house, and don't believe there is any state that requires trigger locks or safe containment of a weapon if there are NO minors in the house. Some states do require a loss of a weapon in x-number of days; if known.

And every night I have a handgun, the one I carry everyday, on the nightstand next to me!

As for small safes. There are wall mounted wall safes that are quite secure. Mine attaches to the wall with six, three inch lag bolts, bolted to the 2x4s from the interior of the safe. Could it be removed from the wall? Yes. Would it take a long time? Yes.

The lock is a type that is very hard to pick, and is hardened steel. Can you drill through it? Yes. Would it take a time? Yes.

There is NO way to guarantee something will be stolen. I tend to think my alarm would scare them off, if not, I would think they would never have time to get to the guns before the police arrive. I would also think they would not have a large crow bar or power drill with a hardened bit with them when they broke in. But who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV