Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 12:40 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I actually don't hold Kevin responsible for the attack on Taylor. Kevin was venting at dinner and then left the restaurant. He didn't tell the team to beat up Taylor
Kevin wasn't just venting. He knew he was ordering a beatdown for Taylor with the words he used on the rest of the team. He's been their leader for a couple of years now.

Here's what Kevin said:
Quote:
"No, I’m talking about the other one [MEANING TAYLOR, NOT ERIC]. He came in there like some ***** tryin’ to get turned out. Look, my mom tells me ******* always tryin’ to play you. Always. And that dude is a straight-up *****. He outed Eric, put my name out there. *******, man. And you know what the messed up part is, it doesn’t matter how crazy they are, you gotta treat ‘em like they’re real people. You have to. Back in the day, you’d be like “bop, bop” [MAKES PUNCHING MOTIONS WITH HANDS], business is done. Now, man, ******* act how they act. You can’t do nothin’. Except he’s not a *****, he’s a dude. There’s like no reason that he can’t get handled. KEVIN EXITS, AND WE SEE THE MEMBERS OF THE TEAM, WES FIRST, ABSORBING WHAT THEY’VE BEEN TOLD BY THEIR CAPTAIN.
Your perceptions of this show are so different from mine. Did you think he was telling them to "handle" Taylor in a sexual manner? To take him out for ice cream?

I'm assuming, btw, from the fact that Wes sat at Kevin's right hand, that he was next in the pecking order, and therefore led the attack on Taylor, thereby making it to Taylor's list (not all of the team was on the list IIRC).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 04:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Kevin wasn't just venting. He knew he was ordering a beatdown for Taylor with the words he used on the rest of the team. He's been their leader for a couple of years now.
Yes, Kevin is their leader on a high school basketball team. He's not their leader 24 hrs a day in life.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Yes, Kevin is their leader on a high school basketball team. He's not their leader 24 hrs a day in life.
You don't do well with subtext, do you? Obviously he's leader enough that the event he suggested, but did not directly, unequivocally order, happened, courtesy of Wes and the rest of the gang. Kevin has shown himself to be an unquestionably successful leader.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
You don't do well with subtext, do you? Obviously he's leader enough that the event he suggested, but did not directly, unequivocally order, happened, courtesy of Wes and the rest of the gang. Kevin has shown himself to be an unquestionably successful leader.
Plus Kevin is smart enough to know that he needs deniability if it comes to that...
He can claim he was just venting...but he was inciting...
Do you think that if any other person/teen made similar comment that the team would have responded like they did...and you can role Eric into the conspiracy because he initiated the contact based on the other boys telling him to...so they ALL are complicit in setting Taylor off and basically causing him to seek out a gun for revenge...and eventually shoot that teammate...but they won't see it that way...too selfish...

Taylor did that only after he was stomped...and he doesn't know about Kevin's role...just Eric's...
So maybe he was still hoping to have a meeting about what really happened that night at the party...
I find Taylor still pretty naive and trusting despite how he has been taken advantage of...
He was trying to connect emotionally with the coach's daughter and she was so disdainful and selfish...
just using him as a mark for her drug sales and couldn't give a flip for truth of what happened to him...

Old 02-28-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking more of legal culpability and presenting the facts to a jury. There wasn't any request, suggestion, persuasion, or coercion.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Right? Add to that the group think among teens. Don't know how anyone could miss it.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking more of legal culpability and presenting the facts to a jury. There wasn't any request, suggestion, persuasion, or coercion.
Sure you were. ..

Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Sure you were. ..
I was. Why doubt me. I've thought in legal terms while watching the entire program. Crime is only crime when a court says it's a crime.

The show is called American Crime. Not American Emotional Outrage.

If I was on a jury, I would need more to convict than a random vent. We have all vented about punching someone or saying "he should die." We wouldn't expect that our friend sitting next to us would actually go out and do it.

But hey, if you want to believe people don't have free will or free choice, go right ahead.

Last edited by charlygal; 02-28-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I was. Why doubt me. I've thought in legal terms while watching the entire program. Crime is only crime when a court says it's a crime.

Why did the show continue when they declined to press charges if that's the case? This show is about much more than that.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:

If I was on a jury, I would need more to convict than a random vent. We have all vented about punching someone or saying "he should die." We wouldn't expect that our friend sitting next to us would actually go out and do it.

But hey, if you want to believe people don't have free will or free choice, go right ahead.
Actually crime exists on many levels and even if it does not rise to the level of actually going to the extreme of a court trial to assess guilt/innocence and assess any required penalty, a crime exists...

Do you this the Germans' persecution of Jews and other disadvantaged social groups in Germany prior to the actual Holocause trials were not crimes?

If a college student is sexually assaulted at a frat party does that not become a crime unless the accused is brought up on trial?

Was what happened and is happening in Flint, MI not a crime??? Because I can pretty much guarantee no one will see criminal charges based on how other instances of criminal malfeasance/neglect have been ignored in past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV