Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
I get the impression that she doesn't really like anyone but herself. Maybe her husband???
She ate him up and spit him out years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think the first part has to do with the time the buses get there. From where they live they don't get there early enough?
School buses were never mentioned. They could easily change the bus schedule.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I get the vibe that Teri has to be the one in control of it all and her husband is okay with that since he does not have much to say when she starts talking , it is like everyone be quiet mom is talking . I think she has control issues .

Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What? Terri doesn't have a disdain for white people. She's just a Black woman responding to the realities of being a Black woman in America. She's protecting her son. While I think her methods are "off," we can't deny that a young Black man can be victimized by the system if no one was being a strong advocate for him. She's in 'mama bear' mode.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
If anything, Teri has a disdain for black people.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
I get the impression that she doesn't really like anyone but herself. Maybe her husband???
Closer to what she is about. She doesn't like the "typical" black but she sure doesn't like white folks either. Which, coincidently (not) is whose world she chooses to live in.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Closer to what she is about. She doesn't like the "typical" black but she sure doesn't like white folks either. Which, coincidently (not) is whose world she chooses to live in.
Wait? When did any part of the world belong exclusively to white people?

Terri is an intelligent, educated woman who has a well, paying professional job? Are professional jobs exclusively for white people?

The LaCroix family live in a nice, decent neighborhood. Are decent neighborhood exclusively for white people?

Tami, please explain your comment. Explain this "world" you're describing. Also, what's a "typical" black?

Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:

Terri is an intelligent, educated woman who has a well, paying professional job? Are professional jobs exclusively for white people?

The LaCroix family live in a nice, decent neighborhood. Are decent neighborhood exclusively for white people?

Tami, please explain your comment. Explain this "world" you're describing. Also, what's a "typical" black?
Thank you. Tami is showing her ignorance. That sounds like something Teri would say, actually.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:48 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:

Are you really surprised anyone here on CD thinking this way? But yeah, quite offensive, unfortunately not surprising.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Are you really surprised anyone here on CD thinking this way? But yeah, quite offensive, unfortunately not surprising.
Again, that's the great thing about the show. It's forcing people to think about how they perceive race and class.

Many people believe that in America, money equals power. How funny is it that the richest of the three main families (Eric, Taylor, Kevin), is the Black family. That would mean they would have the most power.

I'm sure that realization is affecting how they perceive the members of the LaCroix family. I think that's why Terri hits a nerve with a lot of people. Sure, she can be rude (many people are) but how dare she behaves as if she has some power.

Heck, some people have a hard time believing that "typical" Blacks can be middle class just like all other races.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Okay. I really need some help with the racial situation at Marshall. I'm trying to understand the Latino students/families.

First, in that school board meeting, they all agreed that the schools would serve free breakfast to all of the students. The only caveat was that the breakfast had to be served before 1st period. The Latino administrator insisted that breakfast be served during 1st period because serving breakfast earlier would negatively affect Latino families. However, she didn't offer any explanation as to why Latino families couldn't come before 1st period like everyone else. Then she called everyone a racist.

Then the fight. The principal is alerted to a situation in the hall. He walks up and sees multiple Latino students clearly beating one Black boy. From his POV, it's clear that the Latino students were working together and jumped the one boy. He breaks up the fight and reprimands the people he witnessed as the aggressors, the Latino students. The Latino students then bring up old issues and conflicts with the Black boy that were never reported to any school official. The principal can only "rule" on what he saw in front of him, which were the Latino students in the wrong. Then they call the principal a racist and start protesting.

I really want to be sympathetic to the Latino POV but I don't see any racism. Am I missing something?
Honestly, that whole storyline seems thrown in to have a racial angle when it isn't even necessary to the main plot. Are there really issues like this in places? My kids go to a school where the racial makeup is about 60% Hispanic, and 18% white, 18% black, and the balance is Asian (mostly Vietnamese and a sprinkling of Indians and Chinese). They have none of these racial problems. The school is very tolerant, so much so that gay kids feel perfectly able to be who they are and even bring same-sex dates to prom or homecoming. I always assumed the tolerance was because there were so many people of different races and economic backgrounds. I really love their school, though you will hear of people in the more economically advantaged schools think it is a ghetto school. They are very wrong about that though.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:59 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
If anything, Teri has a disdain for black people.
She's definitely racist. She wants to prove she's better than the white people, especially Leslie, and she has no sympathy for black people who aren't in her social strata. She is about image. What she looks like to the white people and to the blacks she dislikes, she thumbs her nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV