Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Thanks for reminding me.

At first, I thought the boy was going to jump him. I have NO idea what was going on there.

As for the under-funded school, my mind wanders when it comes onscreen.

I know it's something about a school lunch program.

Loving the Lean On Me principle, though. Great actor.
Probably the boy was excited to learn there was a gay boy that maybe he can date!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
I went back and watched the full episode I missed and some bits and pieces of the last episode I missed, I have to say, after listening to what Taylor said to the counselors, I'm more inclined to believe he believes he feels his version of events is what happened and he's not lying, but, I do still feel the lines are as confusing for me as ever as to if it was rape on Eric's part. Definitely, Taylor experienced violations and abuse in the situation; the rape classification is the only part I'm still not clear about. To me, the writers placed way too many layers in the story muddling the matter that much more.

Oh and I realize the boy who cornered Taylor in the bathroom is a different guy than the one in the dance sequence; two different schools. Duh me again.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What was the deal with that random guy trying to kiss Taylor in the restroom?
I don't think he was "random." I thought he was Kevin's first boyfriend, the one he was telling his mother about. Kevin went to the public school before transferring to Leyland, right? I thought the guy expected Kevin would want to kiss him in the men's room based on past shared kisses (or more).

Old 02-07-2016, 02:21 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I took Eric's "rape" comment as trying to mask his homosexuality by acting like a pig in regards to women.

Why would there be a question of Taylor being raped, you mean? Seriously? That's what the entire show is about. Even with the texts, the second Taylor withdraws his consent, it becomes rape. At least I think that's where the show is going.

Kevin knows more than he is saying, for sure.
You misread my post. I said why else would Kevin be so scared? He did something that night. Considering Eric came forward and produced those texts and admitted having sex with Taylor, it would seem that Kevin's role in the whole thing would be dismissed. It doesn't seem like anyone is accusing him, and yet they're so worried. It just seemed weird, and like Eric and Kevin were both guilty of something.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:36 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You misread my post. I said why else would Kevin be so scared? He did something that night. Considering Eric came forward and produced those texts and admitted having sex with Taylor, it would seem that Kevin's role in the whole thing would be dismissed. It doesn't seem like anyone is accusing him, and yet they're so worried. It just seemed weird, and like Eric and Kevin were both guilty of something.

That may be what you meant, but that isn't what you wrote. Your post actually was unclear - I responded to what I thought you meant.

Kevin is the only 18 year old, right? The rules are a bit different for him than everyone else. For that reason alone, he should be worried.

But yes, they are probably guilty of something. Time will tell.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
This show is very interesting and quite intense. Given the discussion in this thread, clearly the writers have done an effective job because the storyline has sparked a healthy discussion. I would agree that there are many layers in the story, but that is probably the writers' intent. The layers can obfuscate the obvious, which in my opinion, is a story about rape. Or, at the very least, rape is the central story. If you notice, many of the basketball players seem to know more about what happened, but have sworn to a code of silence. What is less clear to me is if this is actually a story about a gang-rape.

The racial tension at the other school was also interesting. The Latino students used a racial epithet, which led to a fight. However, they told the principal that he only saw them retaliate and that he missed what transpired before that. I could be off the target here, but I saw this as the writers' use of symbolism (i.e., the principal saw the "layer," but missed the subtext).

Last edited by davey123; 02-07-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
This show is very interesting and quite intense. Given the discussion in this thread, clearly the writers have done an effective job because the storyline has sparked a healthy discussion. I would agree that there are many layers in the story, but that is probably the writers' intent. The layers can obfuscate the obvious, which in my opinion, is a story about rape. Or, at the very least, rape is the central story. If you notice, many of the basketball players seem to know more about what happened, but have sworn to a code of silence. What is less clear to me is if this is actually a story about a gang-rape.

Yes, I agree it is the writers' intent to spark dialogue and not make any of this easy for the audience to come to any singlular conclusions, but there does come a point when you can, muddle it so bad, the message and point are lost because one tried to get too creative and or clever with the storyline. There are many points and places one can become confused within the same scenario, to help a story and to make room for discussion and understanding, but, they can also do more harm in telling these stories than benefiting some victims on either side. Obfuscate is putting it lightly. I do understand there are many things that can and do happen in rape cases, but, they seem to have thrown all of them in one story and added a few more on top of it. We all realize no means no, and consent stops when a person says stop at any stage, but, they just had to through in five more layers. In a way I guess good on them, but in another way, not so great for some, because as I said it makes some people put all cases into one pot and not really be able to take a look at situations individually.

As far as the other basketball players, I doubt they knew of the sexual encounter between Eric and Taylor, but I think they or, at least, one or a few might know of something about the drugs and possibly some other wrong doing in the situation

The racial tension at the other school was also interesting. The Latino students used a racial epithet, which led to a fight. However, they told the principal that he only saw them retaliate and that he missed what transpired before that. I could be off the target here, but I saw this as the writers' use of symbolism (i.e., the principal saw the obvious, but missed the subtext).
I believe you are on target with your observations of what went on at the other school; at least that how I saw the situation to a large degree.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
And....the plot thickens!!!!
A few new characters last night too.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:14 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,263,223 times
Episode 6 was really shocking! I can't believe how homophobic everyone is in that town. Eric's Mom acted like she wished that her son succeeded in killing himself. Sad!

It seems like Leyland is just using Eric to be the poster child for gay people just so their image of "we are inclusive" gets out there. Headmistress Leslie only cares about herself!

Speaking of Leslie, is she a total germophobe or what? Scrubbing her hands with soap and water every time she's in a room with other people??

I really can't believe Eric set Taylor up to be beaten by the team. That moment really made me mad and unsympathetic to Eric. Something really bad is going to happen in E7, Taylor had a gun in his hand.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Episode 6 was really shocking! I can't believe how homophobic everyone is in that town. Eric's Mom acted like she wished that her son succeeded in killing himself. Sad!

It seems like Leyland is just using Eric to be the poster child for gay people just so their image of "we are inclusive" gets out there. Headmistress Leslie only cares about herself!

Speaking of Leslie, is she a total germophobe or what? Scrubbing her hands with soap and water every time she's in a room with other people??

I really can't believe Eric set Taylor up to be beaten by the team. That moment really made me mad and unsympathetic to Eric. Something really bad is going to happen in E7, Taylor had a gun in his hand.
I wondered that or some other OCD thing going on. I too was sickened by what Eric did, but not unsympathetic, I still think all involved are just totally messed up in the head. Taylor of course is bearing the worst of the brunt of it all though it seems at this point, though I would still like to know what he means buy he lied. I can't say I am pleased with the turn of events but, the show is still interesting, but, the team going after Taylor, that whole thing and where it's going just turned my stomach so bad, it made me feel like not wanting to continue watching the show. The oldest kid, Kevin, I think his name is, is quite the manipulator,shows how the character of many a NFL wife beater's gets their world view of women and a few other matters for one. But he set the stage for the rest of the team to go after Taylor, not they needed a lot of motivation, but, He did encourage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV