Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
IIRC, Randall excused his wife from the dinner by claiming to the hosts she wanted to be there, but got caught up in some work thing.

Later, she arrives anyway, apologizing for being "late," claiming a 3 hour traffic delay.

If I were the host, I'd want to know, Well which was it? Was she not coming, or was she running late? Something doesn't add up.
It makes sense to me. She figured out a way to make it..Either slipping out early or juggling things.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
IIRC, Randall excused his wife from the dinner by claiming to the hosts she wanted to be there, but got caught up in some work thing.

Later, she arrives anyway, apologizing for being "late," claiming a 3 hour traffic delay.

If I were the host, I'd want to know, Well which was it? Was she not coming, or was she running late? Something doesn't add up.
Randall assumed that she was going to her work thing and standing him up since she didn't answer the phone.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
The dance thing is totally stupid at this time. And then tell him to sleep on a cot? I'm glad he said no to that.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
I hope I didn't post this here before (I think I posted it on Twitter), but I was wondering how Randall is maintaining his lifestyle without his cushy Manhattan job. Phila. council members get over $100K but that's hardly enough to cover his lifestyle in Alpine NJ, and you know that apartment building is no gold mine.

I think if Beth was running late and intentionally ignoring his calls, he has every right to be furious with her!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I hope I didn't post this here before (I think I posted it on Twitter), but I was wondering how Randall is maintaining his lifestyle without his cushy Manhattan job. Phila. council members get over $100K but that's hardly enough to cover his lifestyle in Alpine NJ, and you know that apartment building is no gold mine.
Judging by the fact that they were able to buy the apartment building, I would guess that they had plenty socked away. Savings, investments, etc. It's not like they're living paycheck to paycheck, but paying for significant amounts of long-term child care could cause things to get uncomfortably tight.

And while maybe not a gold mine, that building might be bringing in a pretty fair amount, if it's near or at capacity. They probably got it for next to nothing given the condition it was in.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Oh they are making these characters more and more unlikeable!

The flashbacks to Randall were important showing he values his needs above anyone’s. He went to the library to study because he was more worried about being the best than being respectful to his friends.

His behavior on the phone was horrible. She was late, and he really didn’t know why, he just assumes the worst.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Oh they are making these characters more and more unlikeable!

The flashbacks to Randall were important showing he values his needs above anyone’s. He went to the library to study because he was more worried about being the best than being respectful to his friends.

His behavior on the phone was horrible. She was late, and he really didn’t know why, he just assumes the worst.
I agree that his voicemail was a little harsh but honestly I think he was hurt. He told her that dinner was important to him. He moves mountains to do what's important for her. He was there at the recital, even though a few mins late, he still saw the performance. She had drinks with her coworkers, honestly, they would have understood if she told them she had an important dinner to attend. I know my coworkers understand if I can't attend a happy hour here and there. It's not the end of the world. If I had an important business dinner or my husband had an important work function, we'd be there for each other, even if it meant missing a happy hour with coworkers. For what it's worth, happy hours are not comparable to the type of dinners he was being invited to.

I think they are all selfish on the show, including Migel which everyone loves. I love him too but they showed in the flashbacks he was once a selfish young man too. Everyone on this show has been selfish at one point or another as has every human being on this planet. We are all selfish sometimes.

I found Randall's reaction realistic. Not a good reaction but a realistic one.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My take away from that flashback is that he has obsessiveness and anxiety about his performance.

Wondering how long before his nervous breakdown issues come up..

Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I agree that his voicemail was a little harsh but honestly I think he was hurt. He told her that dinner was important to him. He moves mountains to do what's important for her. He was there at the recital, even though a few mins late, he still saw the performance. She had drinks with her coworkers, honestly, they would have understood if she told them she had an important dinner to attend. I know my coworkers understand if I can't attend a happy hour here and there. It's not the end of the world. If I had an important business dinner or my husband had an important work function, we'd be there for each other, even if it meant missing a happy hour with coworkers. For what it's worth, happy hours are not comparable to the type of dinners he was being invited to.

I think they are all selfish on the show, including Migel which everyone loves. I love him too but they showed in the flashbacks he was once a selfish young man too. Everyone on this show has been selfish at one point or another as has every human being on this planet. We are all selfish sometimes.

I found Randall's reaction realistic. Not a good reaction but a realistic one.
I agree with all of this.

And I think that both Randal and Beth are being pretty ridiculous right now, at the expense of their kids. They should both be smarter than this. They are both irritating the heck out of me and frankly, I don't know which of them is acting more foolishly but collectively they both seem to be making some really poor choices and priorities right now.

I still like Miguel - a lot.

I agree that we're all selfish at times in our lives, but honestly, at this point Randal and Beth are taking it two a whole other level - and their marriage and their kids are both more important than either of their "dreams" are at this point in their lives. People who have so much - including but not limited to material wealth, good looks, and intelligence - really need to use these assets for something more positive than either of them are doing. Get a grip, you two!

I think Kevin is still and will always be in love with what's her name, Sophie? Anyway, his childhood sweetheart. I like Zoe and Kevin together but wow they are both asking for a lot of future angst, between her trust issues and his drinking - and not to mention that it seems to me that Kevin always just assumed (and not in a negative way) that he'd have a wife or SO AND KIDS one day.

I don't get the feeling that Rebecca is getting dementia. I thought her actions and thoughts and other behaviors at the hospital were normal considering the situation. And I've never thought that Miguel was a saint, but he seems like a stand up guy when it comes to Beth and her family.

Toby and Kate are both sort of tortured souls but overall I find them both to be likable and I understand where they're coming from. I mean, I don't want a mate like Toby but I can see how they fit together well.

I thought they all treated Kate's friend pretty horribly at the hospital. I mean, they were soooo dismissive of her! Miguel missed a perfect opportunity to stand up for her TO THAT FAMILY and to point out how self centered they all tend to be and how difficult it can be to be part of that family.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
I don't think that Rebecca's behavior was indicative of Dementia either. It seems more like PTSD. Losing Jack, in that manner, was a shock. People with PTSD tend to relive the moment with heightened senses, remembering smells, the color of the sky, the hardness of the ground, etc. and then along comes something that triggers the memory. You never get over that traumatic moment. I thought that was a realistic portrayal. It used to be called "shell shock."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV