Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 03:20 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,066,339 times

Advertisements

I actually prefer Shi'Ann in the lives! I didn't like her performances pre-lives at all! Anyway, next week they are eliminating two contestants...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM

741 posts, read 1,381,077 times
My four favorites initially were Janice, Esera, Jon and Brooke. For some reason that I can't really identify, I like Brooke less now. IMO Jon's final performance was not his best either.

While I agree that Janice is superbly talented, I would have preferred a different treatment of "Chandelier". Admittedly I have a playlist of probably 15 versions of the song. As mauialoha mentioned, I too will always remember Jordan Smith's version. I have it in the back of my head that he was the first contestant that season. I like Sia's as well.

Yes, Janice is a very powerful singer. I'm sorry to see her leave. I agree with NYSinger's assessment that her last two performances were not her best. Regardless, she was better than many "saved by America".

On another forum someone said that Blake made a comment that indicated he preferred Adam, and country fans responded by tweeting for AC. I didn't hear the comment.

I cannot vote in the instant save because of the time zone where I am located. But, as burdell noted, if I had a vote, it would not have been for AC.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 PM

I liked Esera too but found his playoff not very good...I am anxious for next week!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:03 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
And musical preference is quite varied. I would never buy or listen to anything by Janice, Davon, ShiAnn, Brooke or any of those kind of singers. Nor would they ever play them on the radio station I listen to every day. I think once they hit the lives you have to have a personality to go with The Voice.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 PM

There are four steals left in the competition. The thing is, steals rarely win though...

Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
yeah, it's not just you
Delta Dawn is a bad, monotone and dated song, and yes Ashland sounded bad siinging it. As a matter of fact, last nights show was one of the weakest I've ever seen on the Voice.

I do agree Keisha does not sound like she's trying to go country at all. And wow what a trashing of a classic song. And you know a great country version of MTTG could certainly be done but that was horrible.

Jon who I usually like sounded bad to me as well, way overdoing the falsetto.
And Brook who I also usually like also oversang, screeched, etc. And like they did with Hannah, they way overdid her makeup hair etc. Who the heck thinks these costumes look good?

Davon, who I also usually like picked a bad song and disappointed.
I've previously posted how I think Shi-anne needs a real singing coach

Don't like Red, and Adam oversings with the best of them and is one of those guys who likes to point at the audience which is a pet peeve of mine (Red does this a lot as well)

Chloe as usual sang in her fake accent which I just learned from Googling "fake accent" has been dubbed the "indie girl voice". Another fingernails on the chalkboard moment.

The only ones I liked at all were Addison, who needs to watch out as I thioght I heard a little bit of that indie girl voice sneaking in there, and Noah, though not a great song, sounded good.

Dave
Agree with most of this, except I am a big fan of Red's. I loved his performance of "The Dance" and his wit makes me laugh. I do not like Keisha. She thinks she is country because she wants to be unique, but she is really a gospel singer who botches every country song she sings. I am amazed she has not been eliminated yet. Same goes for Ashland. I thing she is a mediocre country singer; a great artist in a honky tonk, but that's about it. I am really surprised she is still in this competition. Also agree about the costumes. The women dress in the most hideous dresses/skirts. I have pegged Brook as the winner from the beginning. I still think she will win, though Addison might be a possibility as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You rarely hear much criticism beyond saying something like 'it was a bit pitchy' and I kinda like that. I've never watched American Idol, probably because I saw a trailer or two of Simon Cowell being damn nasty to people. I don't think it's easy for so many of The Voice contestants who have little experience with large audiences to get up there and do their thing and I think they deserve credit for doing so, I believe criticism should be reserved for private time with their coaches..
I disagree. I'm very tired of hearing nothing but glowing praise for every contestant's performances. Considering that every singer who has ever existed has room for improvement, shouldn't they receive some constructive criticism? And since they are on national TV, they should be able to accept some of it in public. A coach is called a coach for a reason, and we have ears.

I also wonder why on earth the show has saves and bring backs. Maybe it's just filler for the blank spots, sort of like those silly questions. Those contestants invariably get eliminated one or two episodes later. I have never known any of them to go on to make the finals, much less win. It seems getting rejected twice/three times would only make them feel bad.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I disagree. I'm very tired of hearing nothing but glowing praise for every contestant's performances. Considering that every singer who has ever existed has room for improvement, shouldn't they receive some constructive criticism? And since they are on national TV, they should be able to accept some of it in public. A coach is called a coach for a reason, and we have ears.

I never said they all deserved glowing praise, only that I didn't want to hear someone like Simon Cowell being a snarky SOB. I also said "I believe criticism should be reserved for private time with their coaches." and I stand by that, I see no reason criticism need be public. Criticism should be constructive, how does making it public add to its effectiveness?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:55 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,513,029 times
They used to do kind criticism the first couple of seasons. I think opposing coaches started thinking the criticism affected voters. I dunno but I wish they still did it but in a coaching tone, not like Cowell used to do.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
No doubt it has a lot to do with the type of music I like but I think Chloe just killed it!

Old 12-04-2017, 10:27 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,378,338 times
Chloe is my fav
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV