Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Maggie's storyline was contrived and a little disturbing, but I liked the restaurant part. I think the reason some viewers don't like this show is that there's no bad guy, just a bunch of struggling people with mostly ordinary problems, like career stress, debt, infidelity, illness, alcoholism, etc, and they make ordinary stupid decisions. It reminds me a bit of Judging Amy or Gilmore Girls.
Going back even further, it very much reminds me of thirtysomething.

I'm enjoying the show. I think Delilah's warmth has come through because of her relationships with other characters. Katherine doesn't seem connected to anyone other than Theo - and that may be why viewers are kinder to one than the other.

ETA: The new character, Eric, is the late John Ritter's son. He looks familiar so I looked him up and was surprised to learn this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I'm enjoying the show. I think Delilah's warmth has come through because of her relationships with other characters. Katherine doesn't seem connected to anyone other than Theo - and that may be why viewers are kinder to one than the other.

ETA: The new character, Eric, is the late John Ritter's son. He looks familiar so I looked him up and was surprised to learn this.
This is US is a Thirtysomething grandchild. Some of the same people are involved. This show was a copycat of This Is Us, which came on the air first. When ThirtySomething was on the air, there were copycats too. Throw a whole bunch of people from different perspectives and write some story lines. I do like these types of shows because there is lots of character development and viewers can usually find at least one of the characters that they can relate too. Chick flick stuff.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,674,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This is US is a Thirtysomething grandchild. Some of the same people are involved. This show was a copycat of This Is Us, which came on the air first. When ThirtySomething was on the air, there were copycats too. Throw a whole bunch of people from different perspectives and write some story lines. I do like these types of shows because there is lots of character development and viewers can usually find at least one of the characters that they can relate too. Chick flick stuff.

Exactly. I watch because I find the characters engaging, not because I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next plot twist.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
I really don't see the similarities to This Is Us, other then having multiple characters... But then, that's just about every show. What makes This Is Us more unique is the different timelines, which isn't something A Million Little Things does.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think This is US is similar to A Million Little Things other than both being an ensemble series.

And I'm not a chick, so there's that.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 AM

12,781 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Maggie's storyline was contrived and a little disturbing, but I liked the restaurant part. I think the reason some viewers don't like this show is that there's no bad guy, just a bunch of struggling people with mostly ordinary problems, like career stress, debt, infidelity, illness, alcoholism, etc, and they make ordinary stupid decisions. It reminds me a bit of Judging Amy or Gilmore Girls.
I think Gilmore Girls is a much happier, lighter show compared to life's problems they show here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I dislike Delilah the most (& Eddie too). Now I know people cheat all the time in society, which has made many people desensitized to the seriousness of it (not referring to YOU personally), but any person, man or woman who has an affair w/ someone when they know they're married is an immoral, disgusting person. (And I'm not talking from experience, I' never been cheated on as far as I know.)

I don't care that much for Maggie either & they're really doing a lot of storylines around her. She's the newcomer to this bunch, yet most of the show is about her.

Quote:
I remember when This is Us 1st started. I couldn't get through the pilot episode, yet I like this this show & I know the 2 are similar. I never watched ThirtySomething either.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:09 AM

The whole first season and part of the second of This is US was mostly about "how did Jack die?" Of course this plot line was used to establish the characters. The whole first season of A Million was about "why/how did Jon die" This was also a vehicle used to establish the characters. I didn't mean to imply that only women watch these shows or ThirtySomething. As a couple, we watched ThirtySomething every week. But this is the type of show that appeals more to women, a drama, without "action." Both shows use flashbacks to tell their stories, although This is Us uses it more extensively than a Million Things. I think This is Us is the more clever of the shows, using the flashback vehicle in a more original style. The producer (trained under the ThirtySomething showrunners)and the director of This Is Us has ties to ThirtySomething and that show's influence is obvious. Hello Ken Olin.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I remember when This is Us 1st started. I couldn't get through the pilot episode, yet I like this this show & I know the 2 are similar. I never watched ThirtySomething either.
ThirtySomething was a show from the late 80s through the 90s. You might have been too young. If not, you might have liked it. However, I recently watched some of the episodes and it was so dated, I couldn't get through them. It received a lot of critical acclaim, but always had poor ratings. Ken Olin was the "star" of ThirtySomething (eventually directed a few episodes) and now he is the executive producer and frequent director of This Is Us. I noticed that Timothy Busfield, also from ThirtySomething, also directed an episode or two of This Is Us.

All of these shows are a little soapy and whiney. I rather identify with that

Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 PM

12,781 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
ThirtySomething was a show from the late 80s through the 90s. You might have been too young. If not, you might have liked it. However, I recently watched some of the episodes and it was so dated, I couldn't get through them. It received a lot of critical acclaim, but always had poor ratings. Ken Olin was the "star" of ThirtySomething (eventually directed a few episodes) and now he is the executive producer and frequent director of This Is Us. I noticed that Timothy Busfield, also from ThirtySomething, also directed an episode or two of This Is Us.

All of these shows are a little soapy and whiney. I rather identify with that
Thanks. I'm 44 now, so I could have watched ThirtySomething back then, but it just never interested me to even watch 1 episode. I watch so, so much other TV already, I can't watch them all, ha!

Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I think Gilmore Girls is a much happier, lighter show compared to life's problems they show here.

I dislike Delilah the most (& Eddie too). Now I know people cheat all the time in society, which has made many people desensitized to the seriousness of it (not referring to YOU personally), but any person, man or woman who has an affair w/ someone when they know they're married is an immoral, disgusting person. (And I'm not talking from experience, I' never been cheated on as far as I know.)

I don't care that much for Maggie either & they're really doing a lot of storylines around her. She's the newcomer to this bunch, yet most of the show is about her.

I watch both but do find A Million Little Things an easier watch for some reason.

And this is why they have multiple characters in these shows - someone for everyone. So far I like them all in both shows - although Kate in This is Us can wear on my nerves when it's too much about her.

Quote:
The whole first season and part of the second of This is US was mostly about "how did Jack die?" Of course this plot line was used to establish the characters. The whole first season of A Million was about "why/how did Jon die" This was also a vehicle used to establish the characters. I didn't mean to imply that only women watch these shows or ThirtySomething. As a couple, we watched ThirtySomething every week. But this is the type of show that appeals more to women, a drama, without "action." Both shows use flashbacks to tell their stories, although This is Us uses it more extensively than a Million Things. I think This is Us is the more clever of the shows, using the flashback vehicle in a more original style. The producer (trained under the ThirtySomething showrunners)and the director of This Is Us has ties to ThirtySomething and that show's influence is obvious. Hello Ken Olin.
Thanks, Coney, I see why you're saying you find them to be similar - with sort of similar plot lines in the initial episodes.

And whew on the bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV