Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I love watching the show especially the International ones. Gives you a glimpse into what other people live in abroad. This show pushes a lot of hot buttons. What about the couple downsizing that thought every room was "small" and would die if they had a bathroom with a toilet that was not enclosed in a separate enclosed room. Also the people that think everything needs to be updated and that perfectly good things are dated and need to be ripped out.
Having the toilet in its own room is actually a good idea.

I've had fake butcher block kitchen counter tops since my house was built in 1978. They are still in perfect shape and I like them.

Some of the priorities of some of the house hunters are skewed, IMO.

My house is paid for. I wonder if theirs ever will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I love watching the show especially the International ones. Gives you a glimpse into what other people live in abroad. This show pushes a lot of hot buttons. What about the couple downsizing that thought every room was "small" and would die if they had a bathroom with a toilet that was not enclosed in a separate enclosed room. Also the people that think everything needs to be updated and that perfectly good things are dated and need to be ripped out.
America has become a nation of spoiled people. We desperately need to get back to basics and learn to appreciate the little things in life. Forget trying to keep up with anyone else. Appreciate having a roof over our heads. A safe,warm/cool place to rest our heads. And to heck with whether the appliances are white,black,pink or purple as long as they work. Ditto for the darn cabinets. Got cabinets?? If so, count your blessings.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm watching an annoying couple in Michigan. A 5 year old house isn't new enough for her . I'm not sure if it is possible to go on this show and come out looking good.
Try reading the city/state boards and people relocating. It's really bad in the Dallas area. They all want BRAND NEW! Anything over 2 years old is just "too old" and might not be energy efficient enough We tell them all the time on there and especially about the commutes they are signing up for with having to have that "BRAND NEW HOUSE". It's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I LOVE having the toilet in a seperate little room. All 3 houses we have bought had that including our "starter house" at a whopping 1600 sq ft at $84K. For the larger masters where both people can be in there getting ready at the same time it can almost be more of a "need" at that point.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
The HHI episode yesterday night was just great, I loved it!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

I've had fake butcher block kitchen counter tops since my house was built in 1978. They are still in perfect shape and I like them.

Some of the priorities of some of the house hunters are skewed, IMO.

My house is paid for. I wonder if theirs ever will be?

Actually, no, I don't like it, since I am a "sitter" (ugh ) like I could probably read "War and Peace", I think I would feel claustrophobic in a tiny room like that, however, it could speed up my process... LOL

I like to look around the bathroom and day dream, I don't think I could do that sitting in a terlet closet................blech !!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm watching an annoying couple in Michigan. A 5 year old house isn't new enough for her . I'm not sure if it is possible to go on this show and come out looking good.
Didn't see that one but the woman w/ the fake British accent was a hoot. She had read one to many circa 1900 British novels.

I do wonder why they go on these shows. Do they get paid?

And editing plays such a big role. HGTV has to give the viewers a reason to watch.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
The HHI episode yesterday night was just great, I loved it!
the one in Germany? Every time I see one of these in Europe I think of how spoiled we are in the US. Everything here seems so big compared to what they were looking at. I don't understand having to put in your own kitchen in a rental . The 2nd place they looked at didn't have a single light fixture, just wires and light bulbs. That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM

In Europe it is almost impossible to buy a house/apartment with a furnished kitchen. When one rents, it is a possibility, but certainly not something to be expected.

The lack of light fixtures makes total sense to me. Why bother if the new buyer/tenant is likely to replace them anyway?

Regarding the size of the properties, living in such a gorgeous city, how long is one going to stay home anyway?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I dont understand in Europe why they always take the kitchen? To me it would be more trouble, plus would it fit???

Most of the things they do show in Europe, really are in deplorable condition and are in need of a full gut job. I wonder why.

but at least they dont need the terrible threes, granite, SS and hardwood.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

I can imagine an European would probably say "I don't understand why people leave the kitchen furnishings"... it is not right or wrong, just a cultural difference, I guess.

Not everywhere is in deplorable condition... they have shown quite a few renovated properties lately. What I believe is that buyers ask to see places that need renovations too, so they show them on HHI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV